Flash Disk Durability

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

Flash Disk Durability

Postby SciameriKen on December 29th, 2015, 11:31 pm 

Greetings all - every wonder just how strong these little flash disk guys are? Happy to announce I just put these little flash disk to the test! Boiling, burning, hammering, freezing - I tried what I could -- results are here:

http://www.scientificameriken.com/cover_dec15.asp

Thanks all and looking forward to the discussion!
-SciameriKen
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Re: Flash Disk Durability

Postby wolfhnd on December 30th, 2015, 5:19 am 

Anyone besides me never eject flash drives?
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Watson on December 30th, 2015, 11:49 am 

Opps!! I don't use one to often, but I just pull it out. I think from the extensive research, it will be fine if I forget and it goes through the wash, or gets left in the cold car overnight or dropped in a cocktail.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on December 30th, 2015, 1:01 pm 

If you dip the flash disk in whiskey, the text files can become slurred and sometimes abusive in content. Rinsing with coffee will usually fix it, after a few hours.

Cool experiment, SciKen. I was a bit surprised at the sturdiness with regard to heat.

I don't eject them, either. Just yank and go. Never been a problem.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

SciameriKen liked this post

Postby Watson on December 30th, 2015, 1:38 pm 

So the yank test had already been done, repeatedly. And that is how it is done in the movies, as suspense builds, dun du dum...
Watson
Resident Member

Re: Name Game

Postby Faradave on December 30th, 2015, 2:24 pm 

Nice collection of experiments, SciameriKen!

I'm concerned you may run into a "cease and desist" order from Scientific American Magazine, which also has an on-line edition. They're likely to be protective of any sound-alike competitor. To me there's a very clear distinction between the two, but they may not see it that way, especially if you plan to monetize the venue in any way (accept donations, sell ad space, etc.).

I'm not trying to discourage you but, if you know a trademark attorney, it might be worth getting a consult to see if you are different enough. You're putting a significant effort into branding but may need to develop a "plan B", just in case.

In 1991 I patented a microwaveable heat storage fabric (5,070,223) for use in winter garments and toys. I also trade marked the name and appearance:

Microwear TM black.png

But in the process, I had to battle prior use of the name for a line of particularly tiny bikinis! I won, because the latter are hardly used to stay warm in winter (notwithstanding, the effect on observers).

I doubt you'll have a problem unless your e-mag gets fairly popular, but that would seem to be the goal. It might be that you can prominently disavow any connection on your web site (possibly also recommending Scientific American magazine with a link). Sometimes that and going proactively to the brand will get you some level of permission. But I'm no lawyer.

If you decide it's simpler to re-brand, generally the sooner the better. That's what start up "ISIS Pharmaceuticals" just did, for obvious reasons (and a cost of millions).
Faradave

Braininvat liked this post

Postby Watson on December 30th, 2015, 7:11 pm 

Yes and remember the Aids diet product? They had quite the dilemma.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on January 2nd, 2016, 4:13 pm 

I figure someday I'll change the name, although its been almost 20 years now and Scientific American has not bothered me yet :) I've been trying to go the satire route, as such is fair use of trademarks, but still, probably should update the name a bit - as much fun as it would be changing graphics on 100+ pages!
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on January 2nd, 2016, 4:45 pm 

This experiment is proof we need to think about the sustainability of these products. Being nearly indestructible and with everyone replacing them yearly or bi-yearly.... That's a lot of indestructible waste. Electronics often out-survive the technology. Just because a flash drive will continue working for 100 years through rain, snow, and desert... What good is it if within a year it's too small to fit a regular computer file on it?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Watson on January 2nd, 2016, 5:19 pm 

The environmental costs don't get factored into somethings. The new TV's last a few years, if luck, and we through out the old ones, still working and with a life of a few decades. I'm still happy with my $500, 500 pound, 10+ year old Sony trinatron. And then there is the disposable single use coffee pods. Or all the cell phones replaced after a year or two, just because they are not the latest model. Why good is any of it, other than to serve a gullible and destructive self interest.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 2nd, 2016, 5:55 pm 

My dad still uses the huge ~24 inch RCA our family bought back in about 1989!!
It's been an excellent TV. It survived at least 5 movies (lol typo I meant 5 home moves) and being dropped.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Science Fun