Zombie Virus?

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

Zombie Virus?

Postby ThatScienceKid007 on May 1st, 2016, 1:08 pm 

I've always been curious to if there could actually be a zombie virus that turns a human into your typical "Walking dead" type of zombie. I've heard of the mad cow and a few other diseases that can cause something similar what are your thoughts?
ThatScienceKid007
Forum Neophyte

Re: Zombie Virus?

Postby zetreque on May 1st, 2016, 1:26 pm 

There are several parasites that appear to do mind control of their host.
Maybe not technically defined as a virus but similar concept.

Here is one of many articles out there.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/10/141031-zombies-parasites-animals-science-halloween/

Another interesting concept is the thought that some sexually transmitted diseases motivate people to have more sex so they spread.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)
ThatScienceKid007 liked this post

Postby uninfinite on May 1st, 2016, 1:35 pm 

I doubt it. Zombies work too well as zombies to be made by altering the way human beings function. Changing function, is infinitely more likely to result in dysfunction - than in a different function. Zombies don't suffer weakness or pain, while retaining significant coordination. They are not screwed up on the floor in agony - which would be the natural consequence of such a drastic alteration to the way the human organism functions.

This is just an ieducated guess mind. I mean - there are some very weird things in nature:

Females of the Costa Rican wasp Hymenoepimecis argyraphaga lay their eggs on the abdomens of unlucky orb spiders called Plesiometa argyra. After living off its host for a few weeks, the wasp larva injects a chemical into the spider that makes it build a strange, new kind of web, unlike anything it's built before. (See photos of the world's biggest, strongest webs.) But this new web isn't for the spider: It's meant to support the cocoon that the wasp larva will build after finally killing and eating the spider.

But arguably, these are mind controlling parasites, not zombie viruses as such.
uninfinite

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby BadgerJelly on May 1st, 2016, 1:53 pm 

Rabies seems an obvious choice.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Science Fun