SciExperiment: Google adwords - is bigger better?

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

SciExperiment: Google adwords - is bigger better?

Postby SciameriKen on June 14th, 2018, 10:22 pm 

Greetings denizens of SCF,

I am happy to announce the publication of another ScientificAmeriKen!

Quantitation of the optimization of the monitization of Scientific AmeriKen: Is bigger better when it comes to ads?
https://scientificameriken.com/cover_jun18.asp

In this experiment we explore the inner workings of Google Adwords and find out if those click bait websites really get it done!

Hope you enjoy!
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Re: SciExperiment: Google adwords - is bigger better?

Postby zetreque on June 14th, 2018, 10:40 pm 

Great, now you can use that 100$ to buy the bandwidth to keep your website out there in this anti-net-neutrality world.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby BadgerJelly on June 15th, 2018, 1:06 am 

With these kind of things I’d like to see a variety of ranges rather than just one (I mean show the data with different sets of minimal requirements - for example the per 1000 with a minimum of 500 seems strange. Why not show per 100 and also consider the misclicks for larger ads and/or smaller hidden ads?)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on June 15th, 2018, 9:47 am 

zetreque » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:40 am wrote:Great, now you can use that 100$ to buy the bandwidth to keep your website out there in this anti-net-neutrality world.

Haha -- yeah that first $100 went to putting HTTPS on my website's address :D. Maybe three years from now I'll have the money for the bandwidth :)
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby SciameriKen on June 15th, 2018, 9:52 am 

BadgerJelly » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:06 am wrote:With these kind of things I’d like to see a variety of ranges rather than just one (I mean show the data with different sets of minimal requirements - for example the per 1000 with a minimum of 500 seems strange. Why not show per 100 and also consider the misclicks for larger ads and/or smaller hidden ads?)

Yeah, choosing how to display data is always difficult. Actually, only the country analysis was trimmed to countries that had a minimum of 500 page views (or else the data get weird as some countries would have a click rate of 500 :).

Here is the raw data: Http://www.scientificameriken.com/hp_gr ... lysis.xlsx

Its an interesting question, but I don't have the ability to tell a misclick from an intended click. As ScientificAmeriKen only has the finest of ads I can only assume all clicks were intended :)
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on June 15th, 2018, 10:40 am 

I too do not understand the appeal of the sugar vinegar page, but I do have now a mild craving for fresh salad. No doubt my targeted ad is on the way.

Really the cell users clicking less, I had this thought....

Perhaps one explanation is the smaller screen forces users to zoom in on only the content therefore taking the banners out of sight.

....too. Also, some users have plans stingy on bandwidth and tend to be therefore more purposeful and less meandering when on their cell.

As always, an enjoyable visit to SciAmKen.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

SciameriKen liked this post

Postby Reg_Prescott on June 15th, 2018, 10:41 am 

Yeah, but what does it have to do with Elvis?

whoops.

Love you guys LOL
Reg_Prescott

Return to Science Fun