Is Time travel Possible, is it wise

Science fun for all. Science fairs, homemade experiments, amateur microscopy, comics, puzzles, videos, or anything else you'd like to share.

Is Time travel Possible, is it wise

Postby Logically-logical on October 24th, 2018, 2:13 pm 

Should we have time travel i want to hear your thoughts on the matter
Logically-logical
Forum Neophyte

Re: Is Time travel Possible, is it wise

Postby davidm on October 24th, 2018, 2:19 pm 

We all time travel into the future. Do you mean backward time travel?
davidm

Postby Logically-logical on October 24th, 2018, 2:20 pm 

any shape or form of time travel
Logically-logical
Forum Neophyte

Postby Logically-logical on October 24th, 2018, 2:21 pm 

what are the effects of it etc
Logically-logical
Forum Neophyte

Postby davidm on October 24th, 2018, 3:19 pm 

If you traveled back in time, there would certainly be effects -- but you wouldn't be able to change anything, because even before you went back to the past, you were already in the past. Therefore you will do, exactly what you did there. You can't change the past.
davidm

Postby Logically-logical on October 24th, 2018, 3:53 pm 

i never thought of it that way. so all those sci-fi movies where they change the past r wrong?
Logically-logical
Forum Neophyte

Postby davidm on October 24th, 2018, 4:00 pm 

Yes, they're wrong. They're just movies, after all.
davidm

Postby davidm on October 24th, 2018, 4:01 pm 

You can't change the present or the future, either, so it's no big deal. The inability to change history is time symmetric.
davidm

Postby Logically-logical on October 24th, 2018, 6:12 pm 

do you think that time travel can be achieved by FTL tech?
Logically-logical
Forum Neophyte

Postby davidm on October 24th, 2018, 6:42 pm 

If one could travel FTL, one could travel back in time, or send messages back in time. But FTL is not possible.

There are could be paths through spacetime, called closed time-like curves, that could take one to the past. These are consistent with some models of general relativity but none are known to exist. They could perhaps be constructed. There are other variations, such as finding/building wormholes to the past. There is a pretty big literature on this subject that you could find online. You might also get ahold of Paul Davie's book "How to Build a Time Machine."
davidm

Postby lateralsuz on December 19th, 2018, 6:45 pm 

This is a point I did wonder about as a teenager.

If it were possible to go back in time it seemed to me that those historic events would need to actually continue to exist in some way, in order to visit them. Would that mean that there would have to be parallel universes covering every permutation and moment of existence? I don't really believe in that, which is why I don't think it's possible... but that doesn't stop the fun in speculating, does it?

Re-arranging the Universe to exactly re-create the circumstances of the past might be theoretically possible by a God, but would that really be the past. I wouldn't say so.

On the other point that was made, I'm not sure that it is logically right to say that in all circumstances you would simply be fulfilling a destiny that was already inevitable - ie. because you would have to emerge from those circumstances.

I can speculate that it might be possible for someone to change an event prior to their point of departure into the past, as long as the change didn't impact on the path that led to their birth or their ability to travel backwards. However this were possible this could potentially create a perpetual loop of events. For instance, if the political background to justify the travel into the past was different after each change that they made, then the objective/motivation might also alter each time they went back - so that they might react in different ways to each change, producing a different change. (Hope this makes some sense).

To my mind there is no doubt that the further back in time that a person might go, the more likely it would be that they would infulence themselves, and therefore 'only be fulfilling their destiny'. This is because sequences of events intertwine ever more as time goes on - so I have only believed that travel back into the recent past would be likely to offer any possibilities for real change.

By way of example, I watched a programme recently that looked people's ancestry, and it was said that in some countries of his former empire, there is a 25% chance of a person being related to Ghenghis Khan!
lateralsuz
Forum Neophyte

Postby BadgerJelly on December 20th, 2018, 6:00 am 

As an avid time traveller davidm appears to have all the answers. Assuming he may be wrong ...

If you asked if we could chnage the past then should we? That is an ethical question really stemming from scientific speculation. The whole to kill Hitler or not scenario comes to mind.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby A_Seagull on December 22nd, 2018, 5:11 pm 

BadgerJelly » December 20th, 2018, 10:00 pm wrote:If you asked if we could chnage the past then should we? That is an ethical question really stemming from scientific speculation. The whole to kill Hitler or not scenario comes to mind.

Nah its a ridiculous question. Right up there with 'Should the Moon be made of cheese?'

Questions based on fantasies are not worthy of serious discussion.
A_Seagull

Postby A_Seagull on December 22nd, 2018, 5:13 pm 

davidm » October 25th, 2018, 8:01 am wrote:You can't change the present or the future, either, so it's no big deal. The inability to change history is time symmetric.

The past is known, the future is not. You can't change the past because it is 'set in stone'. You can't 'change' the future because it does not exist.
A_Seagull

Postby davidm on December 24th, 2018, 2:32 pm 

A_Seagull » December 22nd, 2018, 3:13 pm wrote:
davidm » October 25th, 2018, 8:01 am wrote:You can't change the present or the future, either, so it's no big deal. The inability to change history is time symmetric.

The past is known, the future is not. You can't change the past because it is 'set in stone'. You can't 'change' the future because it does not exist.

You're free to make that argument. My point was that if you could travel to the past, you couldn't change it. As to the future, I think Einstein's original relativistic train thought experiment pretty clearly shows that the future is just as much "set in stone" as the past.
davidm

Postby Holly on February 21st, 2019, 5:45 pm 

Okay the snarky (a shark that thinks he/she has a funny joke) part of me wants to answer that we already time travel every time we travel but that is not your point.

IMHO my answer is obvious, HELL NO!

My reasons are because the mere act of time travel changes everything (butterfly effect) and I would no longer be the person that I am today.

There is no absolute guarantee that I will end up at the point that I am at right now and I am unwilling to gamble WHO I am NOW.

If you built a time traveling machine I would destroy it. You might ask me why not go back to change something. HA! I laugh at you since you have not figured out the one thing that the person who wants to destroy the time machine has.

All of the worst things I have experienced it is part of my life now and had brought me to where I am at right now.

That can't change no matter what, else I am no longer who I am now.

As for the future, my eyes are wide open and excited to see what comes next. Why spoil it all?
Holly
Forum Neophyte

Return to Science Fun