The Sixth Extinction

Recommend, review, and discuss science related books that you have read, movies/tv programs you've watched, or Podcasts you listen to.

The Sixth Extinction

Postby weakmagneto on February 15th, 2014, 10:26 pm 

I listened to this Canadian science radio show, "Quirks & Quarks", this afternoon and enjoyed the interview with Elizabeth Kolbert about her book, "The Sixth Extinction". She cites her trajectory of interest in the subject and how she came to her conclusion that humans are causing the sixth great extinction event. Below is the link to the podcast.

"Life on Earth has experienced five major extinction events, during which huge numbers of species have been lost. The last one was the asteroid strike that ended the dinosaur's reign. Today, many scientists are wondering if we're in the middle of another major extinction event, as human activity wipes out species at an alarming rate. This week on Quirks & Quarks, we speak with science writer and noted New Yorker author Elizabeth Kolbert, who has travelled the world to witness the Sixth Extinction. She thinks that this time, humans themselves might be the asteroid."

http://www.cbc.ca/quirks/episode/2014/0 ... y-15-2014/
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: The Sixth Extinction

Postby owleye on February 15th, 2014, 10:34 pm 

Yes, I watched the segment of "The Daily Show with John Stewart" that constituted an interview of her about her book. Her thesis makes sense to me. Moreover, she was brilliant, facile and quick on retort. Stewart, brilliant and quick as he is fell short.
owleye
Honored Member

Re: The Sixth Extinction

Postby Venus on February 15th, 2014, 11:02 pm 

weakmagneto wrote:Today, many scientists are wondering if we're in the middle of another major extinction event, as human activity wipes out species at an alarming rate. This week on Quirks & Quarks, we speak with science writer and noted New Yorker author Elizabeth Kolbert, who has travelled the world to witness the Sixth Extinction. She thinks that this time, humans themselves might be the asteroid."

I think that is true and pretty obvious.

After pacifying our natural environment we we started to create a new artificial environment with the result that we care less and less about were we came from plus we a less and less able to control this new environment we created ourselves.
Venus
Banned User

Return to Books, Movies, and Podcasts