science fiction - general discussion

Recommend, review, and discuss science related books that you have read, movies/tv programs you've watched, or Podcasts you listen to.

Re: science fiction - general discussion

Postby Darby on July 26th, 2015, 11:36 pm 

Darby » July 24th, 2015, 9:13 pm wrote:Star Trek parodies are right up my alley ... we did a lot of them on my old site. Some were pretty epic ... too bad a lot got garbled in a forum migration, or id link a few choice ones.

Braininvat: ok, since you like star trek parodies, here's a link to an old thread on one of my old sites from 10+ years ago that contains some excerpts of some Star Trek parody material I'd doodled off at the time. In this case, the context was a data entry duel I was having at the time with one of my fellow friends/mods on the site ... she was entering romance novels, and I was entering scifi novels, so I kicked off an allegorical parody of star fleet locking horns with the romancian star empire (themselves a spoof on romulans), and did it in small installments that usually took about 5-10 mins apiece to write. It slowly picks up steam after a few posts, and Capt. Kirk becomes Capt. Jerk. Most of the NPCs who appear were members of the site's data entry team at the time. It occasionally switches sub-genres to Star Trek TNG and the Mirror Mirror universe along the way. Anyway, enjoy.

http://www.ibdof.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1189 <-- starts around the 4th post

Small sample ...
[Genre: Mirror Mirror Star Trek TNG]

Picard: Mr. Crusher, in my ready room. {disappears into ready room}
Wesley: Yessir. {follows}

Sounds of a struggle ensue, followed by the angry whine of an agonizer, followed by teenage screaming. The screaming continues for almost 30 minutes, much to the delight of the bridge crew, before finally trailing off. The captain re-emerges several minutes later, absently sticks a bloodstained duranium poinard point-first into the nearest console, and sits down ... to the applause of the bridge crew.

Riker: Nicely done, Captain.
Picard: Yes, the boy was rather annoying. I mentioned back in season 1 that i disliked children, and that they didn't belong on military ships.
Data: How do you intend to deal with Dr. Crusher ?
Picard: I offered her command of a medical ship ... the price was allowing me to kill that wretched son of hers. She accepted. I like that in a woman - a complete lack of scruples.
Warg: {sullen}
Riker: Why so glum, Warg ?
Warg: I wanted to be the one to execute the brat ... the honor should have been mine !
Riker: Ah yes, Wesley's little prank with the replicator last week ... he reprogrammed your prune juice "warrior's drink" to include ex-lax, right ?
Warg: {snarls}
Laforge: {laughs}

Romance: 5165
SciFi: 4877

There was quite a bit of older and better content in the same vein, albeit in prose form, but unfortunately most of it got garbled in a forum migration, so I can't link it. Gone forever.
Darby

Postby Darby on July 27th, 2015, 8:30 am 

As a subtext to the humor snippet in the prior post, there was a near universal dislike amongst fandom of the wesley crusher character back during the TNG run, to the point where wesleycide was a recurring theme among fanfic parodies. If you dont believe me, feel free to check out wil wheaton's own website, where he talks about it at length.

Anyway, my snippet was just one small link in a very long humiliation conga line. ;-)
Darby

Postby Braininvat on July 27th, 2015, 9:06 am 

Thanks for the parodic link, Darby.

Yes, I noticed that the anti-Wesley feeling carried over into the Big Bang Theory, with the Wil Wheaton guest appearances and Sheldon's loathing. I found WC to be truly annoying, and improbable - a hamhanded attempt to draw in younger viewers.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Darby on July 27th, 2015, 9:55 am 

Roddenberry himself mentioned it was intended to somewhat autobiographic of his sense of curiosity and wonder, and being different, as a child, so by introducing wesley he was basically putting himself as a child into the series. Didnt really work, but there you have it.

That's my fan lore good deed for the day.
Darby

Postby Braininvat on July 27th, 2015, 1:32 pm 

Thanks.

Have read some of the linked parody with the Romancian superweapon, Vulcan tush pinch, etc. Funny stuff. I'm sorry you lost some of those in a transporter accident.

I recall vaguely writing a little parody where I conveyed the Shat's unique acting style by having him rotate his neck frequently, experience an abdominal cramp whenever speaking, and placing a period after every 2 words he uttered. It was pretty crude stuff. Dr. McCoy, whenever requested to do anything by the Captain, would respond with a "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a...." reply. It gets out of hand, quickly.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Darby on July 27th, 2015, 3:51 pm 

Jerk: I ... uh ... {clutches remains of uniform shirt} ... what was that ?!

Spock: It was the Romancian superweapon, Captain. There have been unsettling rumors for months now of a psychic weapon. It appears those rumors have now been confirmed.

Jerk: {pause} That was GREAT !! Uhura ... open hailing frequencies, and tell them to shoot us again !

Fun times.
Darby

Re: science fiction - WORST MOVIE EVER MADE

Postby Braininvat on September 14th, 2016, 12:07 pm 

Some people take chemical substances to temporarily degrade the function of their brain and enjoy whatever silliness and frivolity that may result.

Apparently, I look for candidates for the Worst Film Ever Made, and then watch them in their entirety with the wife, while we make MST3000-like comments and laugh ourselves sick.

Now, sadly, I have FOUND the WFEM, and thus ends the thrill of the hunt.

"Groom Lake," a 2002 film written by, directed by, and starring William Shatner (do I really need to write the rest of this paragraph? Well, what the heck...) is my great white whale, my filmic Moby Dick and Holy Grail of Crap.

Shot on a budget of maybe $400 dollars, and supported by the willingness of Shatner friends to humiliate themselves for free (this means you, Dick VanPatten), "Groom Lake" is about UFO cultists in the desert of Arizona (apparently, Research missed the fact that Groom Lake testing grounds are in NEVADA), young love, the tender love between an Air Force scientist and his captured blob of purple vapor (ET minus a skeleton, skin, or distinct physical form), and how the tragedy of aggressive lupus may be overcome by pretty young girls (Amy Acker) who seek the spiritual wisdom that emanates from UFOs that look like giant flying purple jellyfish. No Flannery O'Connor wasting away for 20 years for this babe! It's also a film about going home, which is surely what anyone in a theater watching this would want to do, immediately. Which is why DTV was a good marketing choice.

Ed Wood would be envious. In almost every respect - dialog, acting, sets, camera work, editing - this is a stinker of massive proportions.

So why am I now recommending it? Well, first, I seek confirmation that I have indeed found the worst film ever made. Second, the DVD extra, an "interview with William Shatner" (he just talks to a camera on a tripod, there is no sign of an interviewer) is priceless beyond measure. Either Shatner really is an idiot, or this is one of the cleverest spoofs of a DVD extra ever made. Sometimes I wonder if Shatner is really both idiot and genius, there seems no other way to grasp his oscillations between cluelessness and what seems a sly deadpan wit. As Leonard Nimoy would say, "FASCINATING."
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Braininvat on February 11th, 2017, 10:39 am 

Bringing the sci-fi thread out of mothballs for a minute...

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-books-atwood-trump-idUSKBN15Q0E2

Also enjoying the Perth author, Greg Egan, known for his hard SF tales concerning consciousness, virtual reality, biotechnology, etc. Started "Diaspora" recently - very demanding book.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Books, Movies, and Podcasts