Time, Love, Memory

Recommend, review, and discuss science related books that you have read, movies/tv programs you've watched, or Podcasts you listen to.

Time, Love, Memory

Postby mdunham31 on August 6th, 2015, 9:41 am 

Hello all,

I am a computer science student at Piedmont Community College in Charlottesville VA, and one of my biology friends had me read Time, Love, Memory. I was amazed at how easy the book was to read and understand while being very entertaining. I have no background in Biology but after reading this book, I am thinking about changing over to Biology. I have some time before making any major decisions and would like to read more books on the subject. Can anybody here provide a couple of good books for the beginner in biology to read? Again, the only book I have read is Time, Love Memory by Jonathan Weiner.

Thanks,

Matt Dunham
mdunham31
Forum Neophyte

Re: Time, Love, Memory

Postby neuro on August 6th, 2015, 9:58 am 

If you wish to try it, my book is not such a suspenseful story, but it offers you an introduction to biology from the basic principles of life to emotions, behavior and consciousness.

You can find it in my profile (click on my name): website.
neuro
Forum Moderator

Re: Time, Love, Memory

Postby Paralith on August 7th, 2015, 12:39 pm 

Hi mdunham31, welcome to the forums. If behavior is what you're interested in, I think the book Baboon Metaphysics by Cheney and Seyfarth is a great introduction to serious behavioral and cognitive research in animals. We owe a huge debt to the fruit fly and everything that's been discovered through that species, but a more macro level study of behavior is a whole different animal (if I may be allowed to pun). And though I myself have never read it, many people in the field often recommend the book a Primate's Memoir by Robert Sapolsky, that I believe spends some more time on the primatologist's life itself.

My background is in primatology and bioanthropology. I had always been interested in nature and animals, but I really fell in love with biology when I realized that it could help me gain a true understanding of human behavior. It sounds like you may be having a similar realization. Though, full disclosure, I have since left science and joined the tech industry myself. The job market is much better.

Anyhow, if you have any particular questions about biology, behavior, or the field in general, please feel free to ask them here or in other threads.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to Books, Movies, and Podcasts