Newspapers Online

Recommend, review, and discuss science related books that you have read, movies/tv programs you've watched, or Podcasts you listen to.

Newspapers Online

Postby vivian maxine on May 24th, 2016, 3:48 pm 

Does anyone know a good newspaper that lets us access their articles for free and without limit? NYT has changed its rules and I do not qualify since my subscription is mailed to me, not hand delivered. :-( They have such good articles - science among them - but they cover it all. I shall miss them. Is there some other?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Newspapers Online

Postby Watson on May 24th, 2016, 4:10 pm 

I thought you should be able to access it online if you had a subscription. If you are paying, how you read it shouldn't matter. Maybe you should call them and ask nicely before asking to cancel the subscription you do have? Unless someone has already tapped into your subscription online, or you are outside their "service area" I don't see why you shouldn't have access.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on May 24th, 2016, 4:31 pm 

Watson » May 24th, 2016, 3:10 pm wrote:I thought you should be able to access it online if you had a subscription. If you are paying, how you read it shouldn't matter. Maybe you should call them and ask nicely before asking to cancel the subscription you do have? Unless someone has already tapped into your subscription online, or you are outside their "service area" I don't see why you shouldn't have access.

I need to explain better. When NYT first started charging for online access, they gave total access to anyone who was subscribed to a paper edition. At that time, they made no distinction about what printed paper you get or how it is delivered. I get the NYT Large Print Weekly. It comes by USPS. Now, they have cancelled those of us whose subscriptions are delivered by mail. We still get the 10 articles a month that everybody gets but not unlimited access.

OK? That means that, if I don't read more than 10 a month, I am fine. But if I do, I will not be able to access the extra without paying for them. That can add up fast.

One big problem with that arrangement is that the last two months I've been told I've already read ten for the month. Maybe. I'll not argue it as I don't keep a written record but I don't think so. Anyway, it would be easier to just find another paper that let's me read it, period.

Also, I really am not happy with them for changing the rules without notifying us. I had to find out the hard way after spending a good half hour or more on the phone with two of their tech people who apparently did not know themselves that the rules had changed. Finally, the supervisor came on and explained it.

Does that clarify?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on May 24th, 2016, 4:50 pm 

vivian maxine » Tue May 24, 2016 8:31 pm wrote:
Watson » May 24th, 2016, 3:10 pm wrote:I thought you should be able to access it online if you had a subscription. If you are paying, how you read it shouldn't matter. Maybe you should call them and ask nicely before asking to cancel the subscription you do have? Unless someone has already tapped into your subscription online, or you are outside their "service area" I don't see why you shouldn't have access.

I need to explain better. When NYT first started charging for online access, they gave total access to anyone who was subscribed to a paper edition. At that time, they made no distinction about what printed paper you get or how it is delivered. I get the NYT Large Print Weekly. It comes by USPS. Now, they have cancelled those of us whose subscriptions are delivered by mail. We still get the 10 articles a month that everybody gets but not unlimited access.

OK? That means that, if I don't read more than 10 a month, I am fine. But if I do, I will not be able to access the extra without paying for them. That can add up fast.

One big problem with that arrangement is that the last two months I've been told I've already read ten for the month. Maybe. I'll not argue it as I don't keep a written record but I don't think so. Anyway, it would be easier to just find another paper that let's me read it, period.

Also, I really am not happy with them for changing the rules without notifying us. I had to find out the hard way after spending a good half hour or more on the phone with two of their tech people who apparently did not know themselves that the rules had changed. Finally, the supervisor came on and explained it.

Does that clarify?

I am sure they are scraping for funds from all the Bernie supports who canceled their subscriptions :)

The count of 10 articles seems to be a cookie in a browser - so if you use two different browsers you might get 20 a month
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on May 24th, 2016, 4:54 pm 

That's a neat idea. I don't have two browsers but if I thought it would work .... I thought the password and computer's address controlled it. No?

Speaking of two browsers, I am working double time trying to cope with Firefox. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 24th, 2016, 5:20 pm 

Wouldn't you need to sign in the second browser with the same id?

And what is wrong with firefox? I'm just switching to it. Chrome always seemed to freeze, then play the show I was watching as a series of still pictures instead of video.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on May 24th, 2016, 5:25 pm 

Watson » Tue May 24, 2016 9:20 pm wrote:Wouldn't you need to sign in the second browser with the same id?

And what is wrong with firefox? I'm just switching to it. Chrome always seemed to freeze, then play the show I was watching as a series of still pictures instead of video.

I don't think you need to sign in to get the free 10 per month - not like having an account does anything unless you want to be one of the 1000 comments per article.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on May 24th, 2016, 5:31 pm 

Watson » May 24th, 2016, 4:20 pm wrote:Wouldn't you need to sign in the second browser with the same id?

There is nothing wrong with Firefox other than they keep updating. They update so much so often that we never know exactly what we are doing with what has changed. You, being computer savvy will not have any problem at all.

Are you going to get Thunderbird also? They both come from Mozilla. Not as good as the old, very old Outlook Express but as good as anything else.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 24th, 2016, 6:25 pm 

Thunderbird? I had to google it. I'm working toward less tech, so I'm not upgrading or changing unless I have to. I'm hoping to miss Windows 10 all together.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on May 25th, 2016, 7:23 am 

Watson » May 24th, 2016, 5:25 pm wrote:Thunderbird? I had to google it. I'm working toward less tech, so I'm not upgrading or changing unless I have to. I'm hoping to miss Windows 10 all together.

Watson, please don't take my word for it but i don't think you'll miss Windows 10 by downloading Mozilla Firefox or its email program Mozilla Thunderbird. The only way I know to avoid Windows 10 is to switch to Apple or some other totally independent platform.

Do check with someone in the know. I could be wrong.

P.S. After typing all that, I realized you may have meant you were hoping to hold onto your present version until Windows 10 is upgraded to something else? According to what has been "promised". Windows 10 is with us permanently. It will have updates but it will stay basically Windows 10.

Again, as anyone who knows me knows, ask someone else. That's just what I understood and I can take you the wrong way down a one-way street. :-(
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 25th, 2016, 9:56 am 

Yes, I was thinking 10 would become obsolete before I had to change. But I do find it hard to believe 10 is the last version. Even if they ran out of new technology, they would still want to rewrap the old, give it a new name/look and hype it as the newest thing you got to have. I'll get windows 18.7, after that I'm done.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on May 25th, 2016, 10:32 am 

Watson » May 25th, 2016, 8:56 am wrote:Yes, I was thinking 10 would become obsolete before I had to change. But I do find it hard to believe 10 is the last version. Even if they ran out of new technology, they would still want to rewrap the old, give it a new name/look and hype it as the newest thing you got to have. I'll get windows 18.7, after that I'm done.

I was just writing to a friend who does keep up with these things far better than I. I should have asked her. I'll do that in my next email. I am sure I read long ago that 10 would be their last version and they would just keep updating it where necessary.

I do not know what you have right now but that friend has XP and is wearing her "proud to be me" button. MS is making no effort to touch XP.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on May 25th, 2016, 11:00 am 

Watson, this is what my friend wrote: "You do remember correctly, Windows 10 is the last completely redone version, they'll only do updates from now on. "

She also said that switching to Firefox means having a less complicated program, not so much baggage. That is her opinion. She didn't say to what she was comparing it. I am guessing IE which I never had any problem with, I don't think.

That said, I have to admit that she keeps up with all this. I don't. If it works, that's all I ask.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Books, Movies, and Podcasts