Understanding the Universe by Don Lincoln

Recommend, review, and discuss science related books that you have read, movies/tv programs you've watched, or Podcasts you listen to.

Postby Sisyphus on July 26th, 2008, 8:18 pm 

After a few complaints to Amazon.com, I got them to send me a replacement copy of the book for free! It arrived just today! I didn't realize it would be so many pages with so few pictures, though. However I must say, the pages and the binding of the book seem to be of a very high quality. I'd stick with World Scientific Publishing for that if for nothing else.
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (60)

Postby Lincoln on July 27th, 2008, 8:52 am 

All those...words.....

Is the book paperback or hardcover? If hardcover, is it an inch and a half thick or two and a half? Different publishers used different bindings.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Sisyphus on July 27th, 2008, 6:28 pm 

It's the paperback version. Words is hard...
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Postby Lincoln on July 27th, 2008, 8:49 pm 

You could always wait for the movie, the classic comic book or the animated version.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Sisyphus on July 27th, 2008, 10:48 pm 

I don't think I can wait that long. Hmm... When's the NOVA version going to air? Nah... I'll just go ahead and read the book. I should be fine as long as I keep my trusty dictionotomy by my side.
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Postby Deftil on July 28th, 2008, 2:12 am 

Sisyphus, I could give you the cliff notes.

1. there was a bang

2. stuff shot out all over the place

3. you were born

there you go.
Deftil

Postby Lincoln on July 28th, 2008, 8:29 am 

So you did actually get the World Scientific version. There were two other print versions, one from Fudan University Press in China and the other by the Scientific American Book Club.

You know...I've thought about the Nova thing. But never made the right connections.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby BorisOfTerreHaute on September 12th, 2008, 9:58 pm 

Lincoln wrote:So you did actually get the World Scientific version. There were two other print versions, one from Fudan University Press in China and the other by the Scientific American Book Club.

You know...I've thought about the Nova thing. But never made the right connections.

My version is World Scientific also.

I just started a discussion in Amazon about your new book:

Jeffrey W. Rudisel says:
The Quantum Frontier: The Large Hadron Collider

I am anxiously awaiting this book.
The LHC has started up, and I want this book to help me follow the progression of experiments as the proceedings unfold.
Don Lincoln's previous book has proven to me that it is he that I want walking me through this amazing new frontier.

Jeff Rudisel (BorisOfTerreHaute)
BorisOfTerreHaute

Postby Heron on September 13th, 2008, 7:46 am 

I haven't read a book of this type since "Symmetry and the beautiful universe."
Bumping this post refreshed my memory, and your book is on its way to my mailbox via amazon Dr Lincoln.
Heron

Postby Lincoln on September 13th, 2008, 7:53 am 

The second book will nominally be ready in February, with something like another month to get into the stores. I'm kinda peeved as I wrote the thing in time to be ready for the hooplah last week. Oh well...it will be available when the headlines "Large Atom Smasher Operates at Design, Paparazi Disappointed when Black Hole Doesn't Show Up. I was like so looking forward it, says Paris.. Britney was in mourning and unavailable for comment."

I think the book is exactly what you're looking for. (Or at least so I hope.) The next book consists of five chapters, what we know, what we're looking for, accelerator stuff, detector stuff, wrap up and broader thoughts. Unlike other books I expect to see, this one is much more experimental. Also, it is not a coffee table book. You can get pictures on the web nowadays.

We've done the copy editing. I should get the typeset proofs in a week or four. We're arguing about cover art, which is not going to look like my original art proposal. (I'm very sad.) When the book comes out, I'll post some of the original art....probably in a new thread for the new book.

I'm going to put together a web page on the book....maybe with an interactive side...I'm not sure about that though.

The next year is just simply going to be a blast as the LHC turns on. The only downside is my trans-Atlantic travel is going to go way, way up....

Thanks for the discussion page. I imagine it won't get all that much traffic, but we'll see.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Lincoln on September 13th, 2008, 7:58 am 

Heron....

Leon and Chris' book is very different than mine. It will be very interesting to get your take on it. symmetry and the beautiful universe is mostly written by Chris and piggybacking off Leon's reputation. (Leon wrote a foreword for my new book, so I'm not immune to that technique.) But Chris is a rather serious theorist and I am a very non-serious experimentalist (except for the science itself, on which I am very serious.) The books have very different emphases and tones.

Good reading. (Just a reminder, with the busy holiday season soon upon is, they make excellent Christmas, Hannukah, or your winter solstice holiday of choice, gifts....)
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Re: Understanding the Universe by Don Lincoln

Postby Lincoln on December 17th, 2010, 5:47 pm 

It looks like this book will be going into a second and revised edition. The deal could still fall through, but it is unlikely at this point.

This thread, which I think has more views than any other thread in SCF, is the first thread I ever posted in SCF. Just think....if I've irritated you over the years, it's all Cyndi_Loo's fault.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Lincoln on January 26th, 2011, 12:42 pm 

So, I have a contract for a revised edition (which I may decide to even sign and send back.) If you have comments and/or criticisms of the text, now is the time to speak up.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Re:

Postby goingtothedogs on February 22nd, 2011, 7:09 pm 

Lincoln wrote:So you did actually get the World Scientific version. There were two other print versions, one from Fudan University Press in China and the other by the Scientific American Book Club.

"In the beginning was nothing - which exploded...." Douglas Adams
goingtothedogs

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Lincoln on February 2nd, 2012, 9:55 pm 

For those who are interested, the revised edition of this book comes out in March. It's new. It's improved. It will whiten your teeth and improve your love life. And it has no calories!!!
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Dave_Oblad on February 2nd, 2012, 11:16 pm 

Hi Mr. Lincoln,

One question.. where can I buy it?

I Googled for it and came up with many versions.. so which version are you the most proud of and.. knowing what you know of me.. which version would I get the most out of. And don't tell me the Dr. Seuss version or I'll reach though that monitor of yours and smack ya one...lol.

Really.. price doesn't matter, where can I get the version that you most like.. You mention a revised version.. where and when can I obtain it?

Best wishes as always,
Dave :^)

Ps. Posted this via public forum instead of a PM as I'm sure there are others wanting the same answer.
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Lincoln on February 3rd, 2012, 8:53 am 

You should listen in the dark,
this tale I will tell you in the park,
so please ignore those dogs who bark
and I will tell you about a quark.

[With apologies to Theodor Geisel]

Amazon.com

The older version (which is still pretty relevant, except it talks about the LHC in future tense)
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Uni ... 537&sr=1-1

The new version
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Uni ... t_ep_dpt_1

Note that the old version can be gotten fairly inexpensively as people resell them. The new one hasn't gone through that cycle yet.

Note further that the hardcovers are stupidly-expensive. This was my first book, using an academic publisher. Their pricing structure is more in line with textbooks. That's why I went elsewhere to publish my subsequent books. I must say, however, that this publisher does make a solid and well-made book.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Previous

Return to Books, Movies, and Podcasts