The Benefits of herbs and spices in food

Recommend, review, and discuss science related books that you have read, movies/tv programs you've watched, or Podcasts you listen to.

The Benefits of herbs and spices in food

Postby Ducktor on April 17th, 2005, 7:36 am 

I, Sandra El Hage, would like to inform you about the release of my new scientific book entitled "The benefits of herbs and spices in food".

What we aim to study in this book are herbs and spices that have always been present around us and in our meals; but have we ever wondered what are their nutritive value and their importance in our metabolism? If they really have a role or they are just used because it is just a traditional way of using ingredients in cooking?
Herbs and spices are valuable in adding flavor to foods. Their antioxidant activity preserves foods from oxidative deterioration, increasing their shelf life; they play an important role as natural preservatives.
For instance ground black pepper has been found to reduce the lipid oxidation of cooked pork.
In addition, several antioxidants have been found isolated from spices and herbs: antioxidants play a role in the body’s defense against cardiovascular disease and intestinal cancer (black pepper, oregano, thyme, and marjoram).
Gingerol in ginger is also an intestinal stimulant and promoter of the bioactivity of drugs. A number of spices have been also identified as having antimicrobial properties.

It has been classified as "a book of interest for nutritionnist, hotel managers, college teachers, microbiologists, immunoligists, botanists, drug manufacturers and homemakers..."

This book is the volume 5 of "Advances in Medical and Veterinary Virology, Immunology and Epidemiology" series.

It is an extremely important publication for those who agree with Hippocrate's assertion "Let thy food be thy medecine"....
Last edited by Ducktor on April 18th, 2005, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ducktor
Forum Neophyte

welcome Sandra

Postby PlayTOE on April 17th, 2005, 1:11 pm 

Sandra ... are you the author? It is nice to welcome authors to our pages. So far, I cannot locate any source for this publication.

Also the term ‘Elidemiology’ will be unfamiliar to most and needs a little explanation.
PlayTOE

location of the book

Postby Ducktor on April 18th, 2005, 2:42 pm 

Play-toe......This book is on the american market two weeks ago.
So, you can imagine that we are working on its marketing now.....It will soon feature at http://www.amazon.com and http://www.vetcos.com; as well as http://www.libanmall.com.

As for me, yes.... I am the author of this book...
Ducktor
Forum Neophyte

Postby spazo on April 19th, 2005, 9:16 pm 

Congratulations. I hope the book works out well for you. Please don't hesitate to start threads on the topic of food and medicine! I look forward to a post!
spazo
Forum Neophyte

Herbs and spices book

Postby Ducktor on May 5th, 2005, 2:32 pm 

I just wanted to inform all those who are interested that the Herbs and Spices book is now available on http://www.amazon.com
Ducktor
Forum Neophyte

Re: The Benefits of herbs and spices in food

Postby yykkyy on August 4th, 2017, 5:53 am 

Hello there,
What are some of the most expensive spices and herbs?
Thanks in advance
yykkyy
Forum Neophyte

Postby jocular on August 4th, 2017, 6:14 am 

Do herbs and spices differ qualitatively from other foods?

Are their properties more concentrated than what we might consider those of a "normal" food (some of us do not cook with spices at all)

Are there any negative aspects to using spices? (some normal foods can be harmful to particular aspects of the healthy working of the body so perhaps they are herbs and spices that are equally bad in particular circumstances)
jocular

Postby jocular on August 4th, 2017, 6:17 am 

yykkyy » August 4th, 2017, 5:53 am wrote:Hello there,
Thanks in advance

I have heard saffron costs more than gold by weight! (cannot say if that is actually true,though)

But ,in general I would not consider them to be expensive(not for what they do to the flavours anyway)
jocular

Re: Herbs and spices book

Postby Watson on August 5th, 2017, 12:10 am 

Ducktor » Thu May 05, 2005 1:32 pm wrote:I just wanted to inform all those who are interested that the Herbs and Spices book is now available on http://www.amazon.com

Welcome, if you are here for awhile. But " just wanted to inform" sounds like a quick commercial for the book, and .......where'd she go?
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on August 5th, 2017, 10:24 am 

Those brief pauses in the conversation (2005-2017) can be awkward sometimes.

What I want to know is how the second posting is by someone, "PlayToe," who has no data (posting count, status, etc.) under their name. How'd that happen?
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby jocular on August 5th, 2017, 11:17 am 

Braininvat » August 5th, 2017, 10:24 am wrote:Those brief pauses in the conversation (2005-2017) can be awkward sometimes.

What I want to know is how the second posting is by someone, "PlayToe," who has no data (posting count, status, etc.) under their name. How'd that happen?

It couldn't have been the OP ,posting under another name ,could it?

She is credited with 4 posts but I can only see 3 in her profile.
jocular

Postby Braininvat on August 5th, 2017, 11:54 am 

4th is in the garbage bin. It was more overtly spam, I gather. "PlayToe" was apparently deleted, something we no longer do to accounts.

I've seen research supporting garlic as having multiple health benefits. IIRC, there's also research focusing on turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger. Ginger has shown some positive results for chemotherapy patients, in dealing with nausea. We have so much to learn, in this area.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on August 5th, 2017, 12:40 pm 

jocular » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:17 am wrote:
yykkyy » August 4th, 2017, 5:53 am wrote:Hello there,
Thanks in advance

I have heard saffron costs more than gold by weight! (cannot say if that is actually true,though)

But ,in general I would not consider them to be expensive(not for what they do to the flavours anyway)

One must be careful they are getting real saffron. People use dyes to fool people into thinking they are getting saffron. Some of those dyes have known toxicological effects.

Examples
Tartrazine, ponceau, quinoline
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Return to Books, Movies, and Podcasts