What Science Books Are You Currently Reading?

Recommend, review, and discuss science related books that you have read, movies/tv programs you've watched, or Podcasts you listen to.

Re: What Science Books Are You Currently Reading?

Postby BioWizard on June 17th, 2009, 11:43 am 

I saw a recent documentary with simulations and such that reasoned the absence of a crater to the meteor (?) exploding some 5 miles over the surface, on top of a sonic boom.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Gamma on June 17th, 2009, 3:44 pm 

Due to a recent exam, and study, I'm not currently reading anything (bar my course books obviously.)

However the most recent books I've read are 'The Void' by Frank Close, which I really enjoyed, 'Four Laws' by Peter Atkins, which was utterly dull IMO, and 'The Lightness of Being', by Frank Wilczek, which is probably the best layman book on physics I've read, actually scrap that, it is the best layman physics book I've read. :)
Gamma
Forum Neophyte

Postby Lincoln on June 17th, 2009, 6:31 pm 

I was misremembering Fraser's 2002 book on the same subject. My apologies. Mea culpa.

And yes, I know a thing or two about that whole Angels and Demons non-issue.

It is impossible for the Tunguska thing to have been antimatter, unless it was some UFO jetisoning its fuel or something. (And for precisely the reasons Watson said.)
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Watson on June 19th, 2009, 9:52 am 

The book actually says the blast is "consistent with antimatter in the form of a lump of antirock as small as a metre across...." The antimatter idea is suggested, without commiting to it.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Lincoln on June 19th, 2009, 5:47 pm 

The lifetime of a chunk of antimatter in space is tiny compared to the amount of time it would take to get here. And we'd have seen it a long way off if that were credible.

This hypothesis is literally incredible.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Watson on June 19th, 2009, 6:40 pm 

That would be the case, as the book states toward the end, ".... there is no reason to suspect that the drama implies that a lump of antimatter hit the earth....." and no mention of it other than that in the rest of the book. Why mention it at all? Ah, the back jacket. I see.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Watson on June 20th, 2009, 11:54 am 

"The Age of Entanglement", when quantum physics was reborn, by Louisa Gilder. It is more of a biography on science with quotes and conversation from a variety of persons of interest. I bought it last January, but only got part into it and lost interest in favor of another book, about the LHC I think. Having read the book on Pauli and Jung, find I have a greater interest the style and story of this book, on second look.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Deftil on June 20th, 2009, 8:56 pm 

Perfect Symmetry by Heinz Pagels

It's basically a book for the layman about the universe and astrophysics, with plenty about the history of discoveries about the universe. I find it really interesting but sometimes the author's writing style is kinda... crappy. He jumps around a bit and his style seems awkward at times. I am about 180 pages into it and am basically enjoying it though. It came out in 1985 so sometimes I do wish I was getting more up to date information, but it seems to cover things pretty well up to the point that it was written.
Deftil

Postby smokeybob on July 15th, 2009, 8:25 am 

A Course of Pure Mathematics By Godfrey Harold Hardy

Although this book probably isn't designed for me, the engineering student, I still thought I'd pick it up and try to hammer through it. I love doing theoretical pure and applied math on the side. Wow does this book kick my ass. The exposition style is not to my taste, and the font sizes differ from page to page (in my copy at least). I do get solid information that I try to retain, from about every 5th page or so. But it's a long slow read. I'm not done it yet, still have almost two thirds left to go.
smokeybob

Postby Deftil on August 15th, 2009, 12:29 pm 

Consilience: The Unity of Knowledge by E.O. Wilson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consilience_(book)

Just started reading it. So far I find it really intriguing but Wilson's writing style sometimes isn't completely clear to me. The library only had the book in the large print edition and it has a bunch of typos which doesn't help.

Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed by Jared Diamond
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=1378709

Almost done with it. I REALLY enjoy the discussions of past societies such as the Easter islanders, Greenland Norse, and Maya.

Wilson's book is essentially philosophical but involves a lot of science, and Diamond's book is essentially scientific but involves philosophy as well.
Deftil

Postby goingtothedogs on September 13th, 2009, 10:12 am 

"The Red Queen" by Matt Ridley

Highly readable, full of facts and fascinating discussions on the origin of sex and how it relates to human nature.

Recommeded!
goingtothedogs

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Deftil on September 26th, 2009, 8:23 pm 

goingtothedogs wrote:"The Red Queen" by Matt Ridley

Highly readable, full of facts and fascinating discussions on the origin of sex and how it relates to human nature.

Recommeded!

Been wanting to read that one for awhile. His book Genome was pretty good.

The Time Life Guide to Dinosaurs by John Long (Author), Colin McHenry (Author), John D. Scanlon (Author), Paul M. A. Willis (Author), Christopher A. Brochu (Editor), M. K. Brett-Surman (Editor)
http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Time-Li ... 0737000813

Just a few pages from being finished with this one. It's about dinosaurs so it's awesome!

Brainscapes: An Introduction to What Neuroscience Has Learned About the Structure, Function, and Abilities of the Brain by Richard Restak
http://www.amazon.com/Brainscapes-Intro ... 0786881909

Short book, but very interesting. Just finished reading it for the second time.

Extinction: The Causes and Consequences of the Disappearance of Species by Paul R. Ehrlich and Anne Ehrlich
http://www.amazon.com/Extinction-Causes ... 0394513126

Picked this up @ the library b/c I thought it would offer detailed discussion of the reasons and effects of historic extinctions but so far (and I haven't gotten that far into it) it's a bunch of hippie tree hugging environmentalist crap. Don't get me wrong i'm into environmentalism and all that but this book seems to take a bit of an alarmist position and isn't what I was expecting and what I was excited to read about. Oh well, I'll finish it and likely enjoy it at least somewhat.
Deftil

Postby Watson on August 22nd, 2010, 2:09 pm 

I just read “A Tear At The EDGE Of CREATION” by Marcelo Gleiser. Creation in the title should have been a clue as to content, but I must have been focused on the word UNIVERSE on the cover. A good read all the same. Starting with the Big Bang, Gleiser recounts the early UNIVERSE, forming matter and antimatter, and explains why we see more matter now that it has become the dominant material. Through an interesting series of related events we come to the first possible moments of life. The asymmetric nature of the UNIVERSE, now giving a preference to the left-handedness of the amino-acids over the right-handed variety, just as it gave a preference to matter. The story of matter, left-handed amino-acids, right-handed RNA/DNA, then sentient beings all leads very well to, the question are we special, or just one of the many? Marcelo’s story leads to supported the conclusion, that we are very special and it was a series of special circumstances that has given us all the potential to enjoy this life. That is all there is out there, what we see and more of it. “We should not be gambling the future of our children”. A very good book.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Watson on August 23rd, 2010, 12:44 pm 

So much for the left-handed amino acids forming only here on earth, but maybe also in the supernovas?

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/s ... 00816.html

So, we are not so special after all? But the planet is. As for other potential life out there, we exist for a cosmic blink of time. There could be life blinking all over the Universe, and no one will ever know it, unless they blink together.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby cindythompson on October 28th, 2011, 2:02 am 

hooked up on Organic Chemistry book just love studying chemical composition
cindythompson
Forum Neophyte

Postby anky2930 on April 20th, 2012, 8:10 am 

Not interest to reading science book.try for Music
anky2930
Banned User

Postby safeleo on April 4th, 2014, 12:06 pm 

Here's a couple of recommendations. For an amazing look at the connection between human and animal health, try Zoobiquity, found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/030747743 ... ot_redir=1

Also, there's this wonderful book called Bad Science that helps you think more critically about so-called evidence behind alternative medicines and pharmaceuticals, found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/086547918 ... SY200_QL40

And I always recommend anything by Richard Dawkins, Michael Crichton, and Douglas Adams.
safeleo

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Braininvat on September 19th, 2018, 12:00 pm 

Time to wake up this thread?

I am reading Stanislas Dehaene, on how the human mind handles numbers, and math operations generally. I recommend in particular, to our members interested in the philosophy of mathematics (and epistemology in general) the final chapter in which he looks at Platonism, Formalism, and Intuitionism....and which position in math best fits with current research in cognitive science. (the book is now over 20 years old, but I think it holds up pretty well except in the sections devoted to the "latest" techniques for studying the brain).

https://www.amazon.com/Number-Sense-Min ... 0195132408

The section discussing how the human brain is NOT equivalent to a digital computation device is also worth your time. Think analog.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Books, Movies, and Podcasts