My cat is a reincarnated Frenchman - SAMPLE THREAD

For discussions based on raw unfiltered musings which are lacking in supporting peer-reviewed evidence or any connection to previous scholarly works. Critiques may not be for the faint of heart.

My cat is a reincarnated Frenchman - SAMPLE THREAD

Postby Braininvat on September 1st, 2018, 12:22 pm 

My cat gets very excited, and his mouth trembles in a weird way, when I play the Marseillaise, or whistle it. I feel this makes a compelling case that he was a French person in a previous life. Also, if I put a saucer of grenadine on the floor, and also a saucer of Coke, he will always go to the grenadine.

This is a sample thread for the new Fringe Theories forum.

This forum will run for a month, on a trial basis. If it doesn't prove useful, threads may be moved or deleted on October 1, at the admin's discretion.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Re: My cat is a reincarnated Frenchman - SAMPLE THREAD

Postby someguy1 on September 1st, 2018, 3:34 pm 

Braininvat » September 1st, 2018, 10:22 am wrote:My cat gets very excited, and his mouth trembles in a weird way, when I play the Marseillaise, or whistle it. I feel this makes a compelling case that he was a French person in a previous life. Also, if I put a saucer of grenadine on the floor, and also a saucer of Coke, he will always go to the grenadine.

This is a sample thread for the new Fringe Theories forum.

This forum will run for a month, on a trial basis. If it doesn't prove useful, threads may be moved or deleted on October 1, at the admin's discretion.

Henri the existentialist cat. [Annoying Youtube video precedes]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M7ibPk37_U
someguy1

Postby BadgerJelly on September 2nd, 2018, 4:12 am 

I don’t see this is a good idea if we want intelligent debate and informed opinions - granted not everyone does.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on September 2nd, 2018, 9:03 am 

I am curious about the intent. Is it just to get people to react to an attempt to fit spurious observations to preconceived notions such as in reincarnation?
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on September 2nd, 2018, 10:04 am 

BadgerJelly » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:12 am wrote:I don’t see this is a good idea if we want intelligent debate and informed opinions - granted not everyone does.

I also don’t think this new forum is a good idea BJ: I believe anyone who works very hard on a new personal thread, and then finds it dumped into this new forum, will be very insulted to have their personal theory in the same forum as the tin foil hat club(I was)

Also, why would anyone here or outside the forum, read or comment on your new thread, when they see that your thread is in with the crackpot theories?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on September 2nd, 2018, 11:06 am 

Forest_Dump » September 2nd, 2018, 6:03 am wrote:I am curious about the intent. Is it just to get people to react to an attempt to fit spurious observations to preconceived notions such as in reincarnation?

We had a number of new threads, and new members, placing unsupported musings in forums that tended to show that forum in a poor light to visitors who might be considering joining a website focused on science and scholarly approaches. For example, a thread on organic chemistry reactions that might be "conscious." Or human hair having special nerve endings that permit better navigating.

The new forum heading was intended as a light-hearted label on pure speculation, a sort of Lounge for oddball theories and fringe stuff. I am happy to modify the heading to just Fringe, if that seems more neutral. I've noticed that lately honest appraisals of bad science or metaphysics from members with training in the relevant field seem to be received with more outrage and offense, and insistence that we accept bogus facts and debunked research. And there's a lot more anti-rational opinion that people are entitled to their own personal definitions and subjective impressions being accepted.

Well, no. Not here. Science is the first word in our URL.

Thanks for asking, Forest.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Braininvat on September 2nd, 2018, 11:27 am 

Title modified.

BTW please note that the forum description only appears when you navigate from the SCF main page, so some of you may have missed the forum description if you clicked on new posts. Please go to the homepage, click on Science forums, and you will see this new forum and its description at the bottom of the list.

And now I'm off to play La Vie en Rose for the cat.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby dandelion on September 2nd, 2018, 4:18 pm 

I like this. It could offer quite a bit of freedom to explore notions and to make mistakes with less concern for prior art or research, etc. I’ll try to make use of it before the trial time finishes.
dandelion

Return to Fringe theories and speculations