Government mobilizes massive plan to stave off homelessness

Reopened October 2019 - includes archived threads from pre-2019

Government mobilizes massive plan to stave off homelessness

Postby TheVat on July 6th, 2020, 12:51 pm 

Just kidding!

A backlog of eviction cases is beginning to move through the court system as millions of Americans who had counted on federal aid and eviction moratoriums to stay in their homes now fear being thrown out.

A crisis among renters is expected to deepen this month as the enhanced unemployment benefits that have kept many afloat run out at the end of the July, and the $1,200 per adult stimulus payment that had supported households earlier in the crisis becomes a distant memory.

Meanwhile, enforcement of federal moratoriums on some types of evictions is uneven, with experts warning that judges’ efforts to limit access to courtrooms or hold hearings online because of covid-19 could increasingly leave elderly or poor renters at a disadvantage.

Of the 110 million Americans living in rental households, 20 percent are at risk of eviction by Sept. 30, according to an analysis by the Covid-19 Eviction Defense Project, a Colorado-based community group. African American and Hispanic renters are expected to be hardest hit...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... wood/?hpid

But, by all means, let's stay focused on bashing racism protestors, defending slave owner statues and monuments, and waging a hugely divisive culture war (largely directed at imaginary anarchist boogeymen)!

Stopping a tidal wave of homelessness that will devastate millions? I'm sorry, but those people are expendable and most of them don't look like me! Loooserrrrs.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Re: Government mobilizes massive plan to stave off homelessn

Postby Serpent on July 6th, 2020, 1:02 pm 

that
was
cruel
Serpent
Resident Member

Re: Government mobilizes massive plan to stave off homelessn

Postby Serpent on July 6th, 2020, 3:47 pm 

Okay, I've poked my head out again, nibbled some lettuce and am feeling brave enough to speculate.
Is there a better way to incite a revolution? A tax on bread, mayhap, but not many others. A popular uprising more chaotic than formal political protest marches, six feet apart, with masks on, could offer an excuse to declare martial law nation-wide.

OTH -- If you were a chief of staff right now, which sworn allegiance would you choose - the president or the constitution?
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to General News and Politics