Trump Visits Walter Reed.

Reopened October 2019 - includes archived threads from pre-2019

Trump Visits Walter Reed.

Postby toucana on November 17th, 2019, 9:52 pm 

A number of reports say that president Trump visited the Walter Reed Army Medical Center on Saturday for several hours.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/11/trump-chest-pain/

Conflicting explanations have been offered by various White House sources, some saying that the president was taking part of his routine annual physical examination early (it normally takes place in February), others suggesting he was visiting the family of a young serviceman.

The report that went viral however, was a claim on Twitter by Andrew Vernon who is an op-ed writer for The Hill saying that according to his sources the president was suffering chest discomfort.

Andrew Vernon has drawn heavy flak on Twitter and elsewhere for reporting this claim which isn’t supported by other media, but it turns out that he may have better credentials than his critics imagine.

According to an article on him by the University of Maine, Vernon used to work at the Veterans Administration in the position of “coordinator and cardio-pulmonary rehabilitation therapist with the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Service.”

https://umaine.edu/news/blog/2019/07/15/andrew-vernon-army-veteran-and-kpe-alum-fights-to-raise-awareness-about-veteran-suicides/

CNN are carrying a report saying that the president’s visit to Walter Reed did not follow the protocol of a routine presidential medical visit. There were no prior general notications to staff at the center, and no partial shut-down of the facility to facilitate security.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/17/politics/trump-physical-walter-reed-protocol-routine-presidential-visit/index.html

Several experts familiar with White House medical procedures said that Trump can get routine labwork done at the White House's on-site clinic, indicating Trump needed tests that can't be done there.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: Trump Visits Walter Reed.

Postby Serpent on November 18th, 2019, 1:07 am 

He's setting up the fallback play, right? When the rest of this wagonload hits the fan, he can check himself in, become inaccessible and tweet his followers that the big bad Dems gave him a heart attack.
Wonder who gave him the idea.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby toucana on November 18th, 2019, 4:42 am 

The odd thing is that something similar happened to president Richard Nixon back on 13 July 1973, just as the Watergate scandal was gathering a real head of steam.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/1973/7/13/pneumonia-sends-nixon-to-hospital-out/

People were pretty sceptical about Nixon vanishing off into the Bethesda Naval Hospital at that moment, and they wondered if it was just a sympathy/distraction ploy. But in fact Nixon was suffering from viral pneumonia, and he really did need urgent medical attention.

I remember this rather well because it happened just as I flew out to the USA for the very first time on a seven week visit.

p.s - Jonathan Lemire of AP reports on Twitter that no one saw Trump return from Walter Reed on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/jonlemire/status/1196212773014900736

He hasn't been seen at the WH on Sunday, and he isn't scheduled to have any public appointments today, even though it's a Monday.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Serpent on November 18th, 2019, 9:48 am 

Well, okay, the stress level must be pretty high. But he can't just .... Not now!
Please tell me he's bad-mouthing somebody on Twitter!
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on November 18th, 2019, 1:20 pm 

He is. Though, I have to add, his spelling was slightly better than normal.

"Dave" fans may be wondering if Trump, like Kevin Kline in that droll film, has a double out there somewhere.

I really hope not.

I wish Trump well, seriously. A heart attack is not something I would wish on anyone, and I would hope that, if he does have angina or similar cardiac troubles, he will have the sense to step down and ease into the slow lane.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on November 18th, 2019, 6:56 pm 

Ha! I immediately thought the same thing earlier, about the double (None of the comedians I've seen come close to a physical resemblance.). It could only be an improvement... except that Trump's "boy scout" wouldn't play as well as Ben Kingsley.

Anyway, I wish him a prison term, not an easy out that would, moreover, garner a lot of sympathy.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to General News and Politics