Trump wanted to defend himself in Congress

Reopened October 2019 - includes archived threads from pre-2019

Trump wanted to defend himself in Congress

Postby toucana on January 14th, 2021, 11:58 am 

In the wake of a historic second impeachment of the POTUS by 232 -197 votes, it has emerged that Donald Trump had to be talked out of storming over to the floor of the House in order to defend himself during yesterday’s impeachment hearing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-impeachment-house-new-york-times-b1787085.html

Both MSNBC and The Independent report that Trump was furious at Republican members for opposing him on the floor, particularly at Kevin McCarthy for publicly condemning him. Trump apparently told his advisers that he wanted to be in the House of Representatives to observe his second impeachment and defend himself, but was talked out of it by his advisers who are trying to trace a path for a respectable exit and possible 2024 run.

Given that the POTUS has no procedural right to enter the floor of the chamber absent the permisison of the Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, the spectacle of Trump trying to force his way onto the floor uninvited, and being ejected by the Sergeant-at-Arms would have been one for the ages.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: Trump wanted to defend himself in Congress

Postby Serpent on January 14th, 2021, 12:16 pm 

I almost wish...
No.
I do wish they didn't keep talking him down. I would have enjoyed seeing the Superman shirt and a few other thwarted antics over the years. I mean, If you're going to elect an evil clown president, why let him do the evil, but not the clowning? People are liable to take him seriously!
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to General News and Politics