The Next Google

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

The Next Google

Postby zetreque on January 1st, 2017, 10:42 pm 

I remember back when google was this unknown search engine that only a handful of people started talking about on chat networks. Back then Yahoo and MSN were the go to search engines.

I noticed a search bot on on here, Majestic-12 [Bot], and looked it up.

http://www.majestic12.co.uk/about.php

There are millions web sites out there, with billions of pages and so far only a handful of huge companies were able to create a search engine that can provide relevant information to the users. Big companies control the entry point to the data you seek, and neither you nor web masters who run the sites have a say in the matter.

This project is about creation of a World Wide Web search engine based on concepts of distributing workload in a similar fashion achieved by successful projects such as SETI@home and distributed.net.

There are many projects out there that are putting power into the hands of the people. Energy, food, media, science, and many others are going to being "distributed." Is going distributed (as opposed to centralized) the future of web browsing and possibly many other parts of society? Or is google too powerful now?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)
BadgerJelly liked this post

Re: The Next Google

Postby Scott Mayers on January 2nd, 2017, 2:48 am 

I think there is a 'curse' when it comes to a lot of good things (maybe all). When 'novel', they tend to serve something good by many but become too powerful through time until they become useless to trust because such faith lets down our guard. Someone will always exist to take advantage of that faith and ruin it for the many it initially served valuable for.

I have less faith in our future online services to continue to be 'free' nor 'democratic' in the future. In fact, we already are much more limited now than ever. Satellite communications and cryptography are the last vestiges of hope before the Internet loses complete trustworthiness. Search engines appeal to business entities that deal in OPTIMIZING those who pay and now already affect things like Google.
Scott Mayers

Postby bloaf on February 4th, 2017, 8:12 pm 

I doubt that there will be any serious direct competitors to Google in the near future. But I do suspect there is room for a kind of robo-searcher that will automatically collect and curate information on a topic. Google is great for finding popular resources, but popular resources are not always the best. For example, I frequently will find that google's top 10 results will contain 3-4 pages that contain literally the exact same information. So what I envision is a personalized web crawler that will go through the major search engine results and automatically extract and combine the unique information. This kind of curator wouldn't work as well as google for things like the latest sports scores or gossip, but it would be better than google for topics with any depth.
bloaf
Forum Neophyte

Postby wolfhnd on February 4th, 2017, 8:48 pm 

I have Google Fiber and they have proved to be one of the best businesses I have ever dealt with. Customer service is excellent.

I have also noticed that the political bias that you find with companies like Twitter is not obvious with Google.

It is also fair to say that they have fought the privacy fight about as well as a company that makes it living exploiting personal data could.

I think this is a case very like the expansion of executive power it is fine until the wrong people get a hold of it.

Distributed search engines are a good idea. The Bit Coin concept I'm not so sure about. Some things need regulation and others do not. Search engines fall into a third category that we should do whatever is possible to make sure they cannot be regulated.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Computers