Windows 10

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

Re: Windows 10

Postby vivian maxine on July 28th, 2016, 9:03 am 

Watson » July 28th, 2016, 7:30 am wrote:No problems today. Of course I haven't tried to do anything yet. Just turned it on. Turning it off last night was not an easy task. I just wanted sleep mode. Much later I just wanted to turn it off, without the hard crash of unplugging it. I finally found both options.
I understand some of it is just learning what all the shiny new buttons do, but being forced to use a product with increased levels of monitization and manipulation makes it morally wrong. But that is the direction we go.

Are the buttons really shiny? Last two I had, the buttons were and black in a black frame. Took me ages to find them. Both the CPU and monitor were like that. What's with this new idea of printing color on color. My humidifier bottles are white on white. The printer's buttons are black on black but they are at least labeled.

Immoral!
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on July 29th, 2016, 2:32 pm 

Oh, my! I switched to Apple Mac and thought I'd escaped Microsoft. Nope. I closed our of my email program and there was this large window asking me to download Windows Driver Optimizer. It even said "designed for Windows" but there it was saying "download now."

No thanks. Surely hope they don't try downloading Windows 10 onto my Mac. Can they do that? I am still using a Microsoft keyboard and monitor but nothing else.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on July 20th, 2017, 12:10 am 

Does anyone no of an adequate free PC security program?
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby zetreque on July 20th, 2017, 2:10 am 

Watson » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:10 pm wrote:Does anyone no of an adequate free PC security program?

Maybe zone alarm has a free version still.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Dave_Oblad on July 20th, 2017, 7:01 am 

Hi Watson,

I'm using the free version of AVG and it's pretty good. However, marketing has wrested control from the software developers and now it's becoming very annoying.

For example:
They do an upgrade and offer a free limited-time PC tune-up function. So I use it and it finds hundreds of issues and offers to correct them.. ok.. do it. Yea.. no more issues. Then I shut the PC down. Next day when I reboot the PC.. it offers the tune-up again.. right away.. Ok.. do it.. And it finds another hundred issues.. WTF?

Now ask if I believe the program has actually done anything useful, besides trying to scare me into buying the pay-for version.

Also, it has sprung up and seized control of my PC screen to offer me a promotional deal.. and crashed whatever Game I might have been playing. So.. when I do finally decide to subscribe to a pay-for anti-virus program, AVG has lost me as a customer due to so much poorly done pushing by their marketing people.

I'm also annoyed by Microsoft's marketing strategies and misc game writers, that keep making new games that won't run on last years computers. So far, Adobe seems to be one of the few companies more interested in customer satisfaction than making another buck.

Note: This Avira looks interesting..
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/avira-free-antivirus,review-2207.html

Later..

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Watson on July 20th, 2017, 9:13 am 

Yes I had AVG but it keeps telling me my trial has expired, and MS Essentials is no longer essential. The Avira is installing now, and looks interesting. Thanks Dave.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Watson on July 20th, 2017, 12:21 pm 

Sorry Z I missed your comment earlier. Yes they do. Which would be better?
Watson
Resident Member

Postby garryben on December 7th, 2017, 10:31 pm 

I have been using Windows 10 for about 1.5 years. Everything is well so far. But the problem is Virus. Though I already installed Kaspersky as a security.
garryben
Forum Neophyte

Postby bangstrom on December 8th, 2017, 3:44 am 

I had Windows 7 and then decided Microsoft was not my favorite charity so I switched to open source (free) Linux Mint. Now I am just as satisfied with Linux as I was with Windows 7. I do most of the updates and trust the source not to load me up with obese-ware. Linux claims they are relatively virus free so you don't need an anti-virus. So far so good.
bangstrom

Previous

Return to Computers