AI defeats professional poker players

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

AI defeats professional poker players

Postby SciameriKen on December 20th, 2017, 3:30 pm 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29249696/

I will never play online poker again... :(
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Re: AI defeats professional poker players

Postby wolfhnd on December 20th, 2017, 5:35 pm 

Tell a tech ignorant gutsy like me what the significance of this is.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby someguy1 on December 21st, 2017, 4:38 pm 

SciameriKen » December 20th, 2017, 1:30 pm wrote:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29249696/

If you buy or sell stocks or cryptocurrencies you're playing against trading bots. Been this way for a long time.
someguy1

Postby SciameriKen on December 21st, 2017, 5:16 pm 

wolfhnd » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:35 pm wrote:Tell a tech ignorant gutsy like me what the significance of this is.

I was mostly posting because of my love of poker - but this is impressive for AI. For solving most games the AI doesn't have to deal with the unknowns as much - the AI can account for all the chess pieces on the board. But poker is different, the AI knows all the cards in the deck, but can only see the two in its hand, and the up to 5 on the board. So there are elements of bluffing that must be accounted for.

There was actually a paper two years ago that claimed poker was weakly solved - but this paper actually demonstrates it.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby SciameriKen on December 21st, 2017, 5:19 pm 

someguy1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:38 pm wrote:
SciameriKen » December 20th, 2017, 1:30 pm wrote:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29249696/

If you buy or sell stocks or cryptocurrencies you're playing against trading bots. Been this way for a long time.

Indeed if you are day trading these things. I am curious how well day trading robots are doing - I'm sure they've made a killing the past decade, but the market has been bullish. Overall though I don't see how day trading computers help the economy, the practice should be banned.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on December 21st, 2017, 6:00 pm 

This is the part that blew my mind:

"The techniques in Libratus do not use expert domain knowledge or human data and are not specific to poker; thus they apply to a host of imperfect-information games."
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

SciameriKen liked this post

Postby SciameriKen on December 21st, 2017, 6:04 pm 

BioWizard » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:00 pm wrote:This is the part that blew my mind:

"The techniques in Libratus do not use expert domain knowledge or human data and are not specific to poker; thus they apply to a host of imperfect-information games."

lol yeah that's the computer walking up to the table and saying, "Don't bother telling me the name of the game, I'm just going to beat you."
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby BioWizard on December 21st, 2017, 6:06 pm 

I've been putting off learning how to play poker. But now I have to because I want to go through the methods and make sure I understand them. Fascinating paper, thanks for sharing Ken!
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby someguy1 on December 21st, 2017, 8:03 pm 

BioWizard » December 21st, 2017, 4:06 pm wrote:I've been putting off learning how to play poker. But now I have to because I want to go through the methods and make sure I understand them. Fascinating paper, thanks for sharing Ken!

Watch two movies: The Cincinnati Kid and Rounders. And never draw to an inside straight.

SciameriKen » December 21st, 2017, 3:19 pm wrote:Overall though I don't see how day trading computers help the economy, the practice should be banned.

It would be trivial to disguise program trading. The only way to detect if an order is being placed by a bot is that a bot can issue many orders in succession very quickly. To defeat detection you just have your bot issue trades from a variety of IP address/port combinations. On the exchange side it would be indistinguishable from a bunch of individual humans typing in orders.
someguy1

BioWizardSciameriKen liked this post

Postby wolfhnd on December 21st, 2017, 10:38 pm 

Thanks for the explanation.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Return to Computers