Website passwords and security

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

Website passwords and security

Postby Asparagus on April 12th, 2018, 9:53 am 

Always remember not to use the same password on multiple sites. If you have done that, go now and change all your other passwords.
Asparagus

Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: I just bought this site

Postby mitchellmckain on April 12th, 2018, 2:45 pm 

Asparagus » April 12th, 2018, 8:53 am wrote:Always remember not to use the same password on multiple sites. If you have done that, go now and change all your other passwords.

It is a level of security. Too many passwords are required these days to use a different one every single time. But the added level of security of having a unique password is important for those cases which need it.
mitchellmckain

Postby jocular on April 12th, 2018, 3:04 pm 

mitchellmckain » April 12th, 2018, 2:45 pm wrote:
Asparagus » April 12th, 2018, 8:53 am wrote:Always remember not to use the same password on multiple sites. If you have done that, go now and change all your other passwords.

It is a level of security. Too many passwords are required these days to use a different one every single time. But the added level of security of having a unique password is important for those cases which need it.

Would it be a good idea to be notified when anyone logs into any one of one's sites?

If multiple users reported unexplained logins to a central data base it might be possible to identify hackers more easily.
jocular

Postby mitchellmckain on April 12th, 2018, 3:33 pm 

jocular » April 12th, 2018, 2:04 pm wrote:Would it be a good idea to be notified when anyone logs into any one of one's sites?

If multiple users reported unexplained logins to a central data base it might be possible to identify hackers more easily.

You want a report sent to you every time you log into a site?

ok... so you can tone it down a little... you can have each site keep a record of the ip you use and send you a warning every time someone logs in with a different ip. Since most people use dynamic ip allocation this can happen a lot even if it is not quite so often.
mitchellmckain

Re: Website passwords and security

Postby zetreque on April 12th, 2018, 9:51 pm 

I moved this topic to a new thread.

One thing that has always puzzled me is the security question feature.
Security questions are much easier to guess than a password. All someone has to do is know your favorite color and they can get into your account.

I also think it's overkill for websites (especially payroll) to force you to change your password every 2 to 4 weeks.

Depending on the website, you can have it setup to not let you into your account without it texting your cellphone.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)
SciameriKen liked this post

Postby Asparagus on April 13th, 2018, 7:31 pm 

Cool. There was an internet forum that was sold to a known password traffiker. Lots of emails and their associated passwords headed for decryption. Just a heads up .
Asparagus

Postby jocular on April 13th, 2018, 8:18 pm 

mitchellmckain » April 12th, 2018, 3:33 pm wrote:
You want a report sent to you every time you log into a site?

ok... so you can tone it down a little... you can have each site keep a record of the ip you use and send you a warning every time someone logs in with a different ip. Since most people use dynamic ip allocation this can happen a lot even if it is not quite so often.

Yes just questionable logins. Along with an option to forward the incident to a central database so that any hacker would stand out unless he/she was some kind of an IP shape shifter.

Personally I am extremely blase about passwords unless they apply to an important website or if it was my own website that held information on other people (not sure how common that would be).

If someone hacked my password here ,for example I would change it for sure but am not clear what material loss I could suffer (none, at a guess)
jocular

Postby zetreque on April 13th, 2018, 11:06 pm 

Asparagus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:31 pm wrote:Cool. There was an internet forum that was sold to a known password traffiker. Lots of emails and their associated passwords headed for decryption. Just a heads up .

Who was the known password trafficker?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Asparagus on April 14th, 2018, 8:29 pm 

zetreque » April 13th, 2018, 11:06 pm wrote:
Asparagus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:31 pm wrote:Cool. There was an internet forum that was sold to a known password traffiker. Lots of emails and their associated passwords headed for decryption. Just a heads up .

Who was the known password trafficker?

If I saw the name I'd recognize it. In that case, the new owners didn't interact on the forum and shut it down a few months after it was sold.
Asparagus

Return to Computers