ISP mail/Gmail

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

ISP mail/Gmail

Postby vivian maxine on October 24th, 2014, 11:33 am 

My ISP is Charter. I download my mail to Thunderbird. I do most of my mail exchanges at Gmail. When Charter says "too much mail", are they also counting the exchanges at Gmail?

What happened. I have one friend whose mail Charter has always had trouble accepting. She switched to my Gmail address and all is going fine. Yesterday, she accidentally sent a letter to my Charter address and Charter rejected it. Reason given was "too much mail from this address". Code reason given was E2210 which refers to me as the custormer, not to her as the sender. Here is the note she received back from her ISP.

Message expired for domain charter.net. Remote host said:
452 4.1.1 Too much mail from this address E2210
[RCPT_TO]

Since my friend had sent exactly one letter, I find it hard to believe they were referring to her address. We do exchange a lot of letters each day but at Gmail. So, if Charter was referring to either her or me, they'd have to be counting my Gmail letters.

If you use two email programs, one being your ISP, can the ISP include your mail at the other program as "too much mail".

I hope all that makes sense!
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: ISP mail/Gmail

Postby Dave_Oblad on October 24th, 2014, 4:37 pm 

Hi vivian maxine,

Several possibilities come to mind. You get what you pay for. Free email services are fraught with issues. Like they may have limitations on the size of the email, if someone is embedding photos, these will quickly fill up the allotted space used to store emails for a given customer. Another issue is free email support is generally not very secure. The site may publish email addresses unless specifically told not to. These published addresses are bought by advertisers to send advertisements to.

Sending a Free Birthday Card from Facebook could get both the sender and receiver address captured and sold to advertisers.. also know as spammers. And lastly, someones computer may have been compromised by a Virus type program that checks in with a spam issuing address and gets the latest mailing list and advertisements.. then spends a significant portion of the computers on-line time sending advertisements to mail recipients using the address from that computer. These soon get identified as spam and blocked by enough customers that the senders address becomes black-balled from delivering any more email from that address.

I use Rackspace. I bought an email service for about $10 dollars a month. You get your own Domain Name and 10 mail boxes that you can use a few.. for special people/friends, one for junk mail interactions and one for special notices. And you can give some of your unused mail boxes to your special friends. Emails are kept on their site, are scanned for Virus's and you get a few gigs of secure storage space outside of your computer. Well worth a few dollars a month.

Hope this helps,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vivian maxine on October 24th, 2014, 6:34 pm 

I follow what you are saying, David but it doesn't answer my question. Can my ISP count the mail I receive and send in Gmail and add that to their total of what they call "too much mail". Does my Gmail pass through Charter's domain?

If not, then it may be one of what you say. Or it may be some file that needs cleaning out but I do not know which one.

Thank you.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on October 24th, 2014, 7:12 pm 

Hi Vivian,

Your ISP is Charter. For a monthly service charge they simply supply you with access to the Internet. Period. They have no say in how much or how long you use this service. You pay for your band-width allocation or how much can be send in how short a period.

With Gmail, you have a webmail service. You have about 1 Gig of storage capacity. So if you get a lot of emails with photos, you may exceed that maximum storage. Your Email and attached photos are not kept on your computer. They are stored on a Google Computer. Thus you can access your email anywhere and anytime on any computer or almost any device.

Thus the message "Too Much Email" doesn't make any sense unless it's coming from Google. They don't count actual individual emails that I know of.. just over all bulk. You are limited to 25 Megs per email, if I'm not mistaken. That would be a lot of photos for 1 email..lol.

I might be more concerned with a Virus type program that may be using your computer to send out spam. I also have to wonder if the Thunderbird program that lets you organize your Email has been compromised by some malicious Add-on? The add-on may be attached to Mozilla even.

I suggest you Google the warning message and see if you get any response about this happening to others and what the best cure might be. It doesn't sound normal. Also possible that you have exceeded Thunderbird's ability to process a large volume of stored emails.

Hope this has helped..
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on October 24th, 2014, 8:15 pm 

Vivian, if you are using only one email address, and that address ends in @gmail.com, then all your email is ultimately going through Google, even if you are accessing it via an application like Thunderbird, and only Google should be the one telling you if have exceeded any of their memory limits that Dave described. If you also have an email address that ends in something like @charter.com, and it sounds like you do, then this would be a different email service being offered by your ISP. It will have its own memory servers to hold your emails and it will have its own memory limits on how many emails it will store per address. This is probably the source of that error message. This will be unrelated to anything you do at Gmail. And your ISP should certainly not have access to any of the information about your emails done through your @gmail.com address. If, as you say, your friend hasn't sent you that many messages to your @charter.com address, then perhaps the one email she sent is very large, containing a lot of pictures or attachments or something like that. Different email services will have different limits on the size of individual emails, as well.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby vivian maxine on October 25th, 2014, 5:24 am 

Thank you both. We can eliminate stored emails as far as my computer is concerned. I do not store any emails. As soon as I reply, they are deleted. Same with pictures although I seldom get one. I do know, though, that both Charter and Gmail - as well as most other carriers are now holding our mails due to some government request about security. Something I do not worry about. My e-mails would bore them to tears.

So, David's ideas need checking. Also, a neighbor suggested yesterday that my cache might need cleaning out. I thought that happened automatically. It did when I had XP. Now I have 7; maybe it isn't automatic.

I know whom to call to check out things. Shall do that. Thanks much.

Oh, yes. Paralith, I did Google that warning. I got what I printed elsewhere above. One of the links was to Charter where Charter indicated that it refers to its own customers. The same page also said its customers are limited as to how much mail they can send. I thought that idea died eons ago. Apparently not at Charter. But I don't actually do that much e-mailing. Other than this one friend - a special case - I may do two or three a day. So that isn't it.

Anyway, somehow I don't think it's that simple. This sort of thing only happens with this one friend. It is why we switched our correspondence to G-mail where we have absolutely no problems. So, it is something at Charter.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on August 27th, 2015, 8:58 pm 

Several times I click on the "contact us" button hoping to email a person and it opens the google page. It happens a lot, and again today. Is it a common problem that a lot of people have, or is it something I'm doing wrong, with settings or such? It seemed like a related email question.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Paralith on August 27th, 2015, 9:17 pm 

Do you have an example?
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby Watson on August 27th, 2015, 10:47 pm 

I sent the latest one privately, but others were people I thought would want to know their e-mail doesn't work. Just seems odd.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on August 28th, 2015, 5:08 am 

Not everyone has email enabled - it's not the default iirc.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on August 28th, 2015, 6:28 am 

Watson » August 27th, 2015, 7:58 pm wrote:Several times I click on the "contact us" button hoping to email a person and it opens the google page. It happens a lot, and again today. Is it a common problem that a lot of people have, or is it something I'm doing wrong, with settings or such? It seemed like a related email question.

Watson, I am not quite sure what is happening with yours but there were several days right after the last Windows update that Gmail was messing up. One day, when I closed Gmail, Thunderbird (opens from Charter) was open behind Gmail. I'd not opened it at all. Then I got a couple more Windows updates and all straightened out.

I am not sure the two were connected, though. A friend told me that Google was having some problems of its own while it made some big changes. Mine does seem to be all right now.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on August 28th, 2015, 6:51 am 

The only "contact us" button that I know of emails the site admins. If you see the little email symbol after the PM symbol under peoples name, info (like mine or Vivian's) - the system should enable you to email them; if there is no email symbol, then they do not have email enabled (like Watson's) and you can't.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on August 28th, 2015, 6:56 am 

I didn't know that! I'm off to investigate. Thanks.

P.S. Ah! I get it. Don't know about the contact us button and site administrator. Is there one?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on August 28th, 2015, 12:27 pm 

Watson, the link on the page you told me about merely takes you to another webpage where the email address is displayed. If this link isn't working at all for you, or is sometimes mysteriously redirecting to other websites, then I think maybe you have something else going on. If I were you I'd look up how to remove all cookies on whatever browser you're using.

I don't know what browser you normally use, but there are ways to see the actual URL address of a link before you actually click on it. In Chrome, for example, all you have to do is hover your mouse over a link, and a small box will appear in the bottom left hand corner of the window that tells you the URL that link connects to. Most regular links will be something like www.website.com/contact.html. However, if instead it shows something like mailto:contactus@website.com, then clicking this link will cause your browser to attempt to open your default emailing program on your computer, and even open a new email message with that email already added to the to: field. If you click on a link like that and you get weird behavior, then it's possible something is blocking your browser from carrying out that function and it resorts to some kind of default behavior like shunting you to Google or showing a blank page.

You can try testing this with the "Contact us" link right here on this page. Scroll all the way to the bottom until you see the little gray bar. Hovering over that link while in Chrome shows me the URL is mailto:managers@spcfweb.com. If I click on it, Chrome opens up a blank tab, but also pulls up my Outlook program and opens a fresh email for me.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby Paralith on August 28th, 2015, 12:30 pm 

vivian, there are multiple administrators, two for Science and two for Philosophy. Next to the Contact us link that I was telling Watson about there is a "The team" link. You'll see there that I'm one of the Science admins and mtb is one of the (really, the original) Philosophy admins.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby vivian maxine on August 28th, 2015, 12:47 pm 

Paralith » August 28th, 2015, 11:30 am wrote:vivian, there are multiple administrators, two for Science and two for Philosophy. Next to the Contact us link that I was telling Watson about there is a "The team" link. You'll see there that I'm one of the Science admins and mtb is one of the (really, the original) Philosophy admins.

Thanks. I'm playing with that little gray bar. Hovering does nothing but I don't have Chrome. So, probably have to click it. I'll never live long enough to discover all these mysteries. I'm just thankful that it works - when it does. Gmail had a horrible hiccup a couple of hours ago. :-(
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on August 28th, 2015, 12:53 pm 

I doubt any of us will live long enough to learn all the things we wish to know.

What should work in any browser is right-clicking on a link, and choosing the option "Copy link address" or something along those lines, in the options that emerge. Then you can paste the link into a text editor and see exactly what it is. I imagine most browsers do have easier methods if you look them up, but this should always work regardless.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby vivian maxine on August 28th, 2015, 1:43 pm 

Right click. I got one that says "Translate with Bing". :-) Leave it to the IT people. My not knowing keeps them in jobs. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on August 28th, 2015, 2:30 pm 

Lots to catch up on here. I hovered on the "contact us" below and in chrome it brightens but clicking on it does nothing. I did the same thing in Firefox and again hovering just brightens but no box of info, but this time clicking opens a google search page.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on August 28th, 2015, 2:50 pm 

Doesn't Firefox use Google Search by default? I think it does although it can be changed if you want.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on August 28th, 2015, 2:59 pm 

Watson, without access to your computer I can only guess that something is mixed up in your browser settings, that it's set to do nothing when clicking on mailto: link. Though it's odd that it would be similarly borked for both browsers. Are you sure none of your email programs are getting activated when you click on it in Firefox? Also, the little box in the bottom left of the window showing the url in Chrome can be hard to see, since it's made to be unobtrusive and not bother the user when they don't need it. But I suppose you could also have a setting somewhere that turns that feature off.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby Watson on August 28th, 2015, 3:12 pm 

Ok one problem solved. Yes I have the small box in the bottom left. I had the window split and lowered. In full screen it is there. I'll look at the settings.
Watson
Resident Member

Return to Computers