How to create a PDF file?

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

How to create a PDF file?

Postby HarveyDacat on December 21st, 2014, 2:33 pm 

I saw a tutorial that suggests using 3 different softwares:

1. Foxit Reader (for reading PDF files)
2. CutePDF (for writing PDF files)
3. PDF 2 Text (for editing PDF files)

Meaning downloading 3 programs!

Any other method?
HarveyDacat
Forum Neophyte

Re: PDF from Word

Postby Faradave on December 21st, 2014, 3:50 pm 

If you run Microsoft Word, click "save as..." and select "pdf" from the menu of file types offered.
Faradave

Re: How to create a PDF file?

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 21st, 2014, 6:21 pm 

Hi Harvey,

Many printer programs now offer the option of converting a document to PDF into a file, rather than sending to a hard copy printer. Look at the options for directing printed output. It may already have a PDF file creator built in.

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby HarveyDacat on December 21st, 2014, 9:32 pm 

Hi Dave and Faradave,

I have WordPad instead. I haven't used it yet, but I'd like to get familiarized with it. So here's my chance.
Could you please descibe the steps I need to take in order to create a PDF file.
Then, my next question is: how can I convert a text into a PDF file
Text either from a notepad or text from my blog.
Meaning, how can I convert a text from my notepad or from my blog into PDF file using WordPad?
HarveyDacat
Forum Neophyte

Postby zetreque on December 21st, 2014, 10:02 pm 

I use cutePDF

It works great. It's very small to download and simple to install. You just print your document and instead of selecting a printer you select cutePDF. and it saves the pdf onto your computer.

Dave's suggestion is good too. I have access to a full size business printer that scans papers and emails you the PDF results. Maybe your library has one.

ANYTHING you print, you can select cutePDF as your printer and it prints to a PDF file. This includes webpages but sometimes you loose formatting or a page for some reason.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby BioWizard on December 21st, 2014, 10:37 pm 

+1 for cutePDF. I use it quite often, especially when Adobe's native converter fails to render my molecular structures. CutePDF solves that because it converts everything exactly as it appears on screen.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Faradave on December 21st, 2014, 10:53 pm 

I checked and unfortunately WordPad doesn't have the save as *.pdf feature.
Faradave

Postby Rilx on December 22nd, 2014, 5:55 am 

If you can, install Libre Office, it solves a lot of problems. It is free but it is as big as Word and has practically the same properties. You can save LO documents in several forms including pdf and Word (.doc/.docx).
Rilx

Postby HarveyDacat on December 22nd, 2014, 2:02 pm 

I now have OpenOffice 3.3

I'm going to try to follow the instructions as described in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE9jdA5T9SM

and see if it works for me
HarveyDacat
Forum Neophyte

Postby Rilx on December 22nd, 2014, 3:51 pm 

OK, it's pretty similar (File/Export as PDF). Try first with default values and change later if necessary. If Wordpad level document is what you need, I don't think you need to change defaults.
Rilx

Postby Natural ChemE on December 30th, 2014, 11:29 pm 

HarveyDacat,

Adobe Acrobat Pro is the main software for PDF's. Adobe Reader's free just to support the value of using Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Word 2007 came with an add-in that let you save documents as a PDF. Word 2010 had this add-in integrated into it. In both cases you should keep the original Word document since you lose the ability to freely modify the document upon saving it as a PDF.

Word 2013 has added in the ability to open PDF documents, but not very well. I think that it uses something like optical character recognition (OCR) to scan and parse the document rather than actually directly converting it, but I'm not exactly sure about the details.

Anyway: List of PDF Software, Wikipedia, has a pretty good compilation.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Hendrick Laursen on January 29th, 2015, 3:28 pm 

Faradave » December 21st, 2014, 4:53 pm wrote:I checked and unfortunately WordPad doesn't have the save as *.pdf feature.

And Microsoft offices word editions 2007 and older don't have, too.

Wordpad is a very simple program of Windows which is based on RichTextFormat(.rtf) Document.
Hendrick Laursen

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby burton on January 30th, 2015, 3:35 am 

I was asking about a similar thing on an another thread, does anyone have any idea if the PDFs created in any of these methods are print ready PDFs with the correct colour mode, CMYK? I don't know how to check this and would like to get it right so that my print outs don't come out in wrong colours. The printer said they can print any PDF but cannot guarantee quality if the settings are not right... company is this: [URL removed]

Many thanks in advance.
burton
Forum Neophyte

Re: How to create a PDF file? & Epub

Postby Percarus on April 20th, 2015, 5:23 am 

I use Nitro Pro 8, simply because every other *.pdf converter out there that I tried does not keep the sharp graphics for the background colour/design of a page if one opts to include one. It also has an array of features that allows you to convert Excel, Powerpoint, and other formats to *.pdf. It even has a combine function that allows you to combine two separate documents into one. This was particularly useful in the eBook I published (http://bookbooster.com/newage.htm) because I was able to change the colouring of the pages halfway through - you can't do that with regular *.pdf converters. I also explored online free converters but the majority of them had major flaws associated with them in one way or the other. Nitro Pro 8 is the best converter I found to date and it allows to change intrinsic document properties, headings, resolutions, and much more.

What I am hoping someone can indicate to me is a good *.epub converter I can download. Does anyone have experiences with *.epub files?
Percarus
Banned User

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby roshedwardd on July 24th, 2015, 9:14 am 

Cloud convert you can change a any file to pdf....
roshedwardd
Banned User

Postby Poodle on August 4th, 2016, 10:54 am 

I'm not sure if this is a little late, but ...

LibreOffice is a full office suite, all sections of which will happily export to PDF. It's also free, which helps a lot, and can be downloaded for Windows. Mac and Linux. For 99% of all household germs, it does the job very well. The LibreOffice project split from the OpenOffice project some time ago and is now ahead in most areas.

If you want finer control, then there's Scribus - an open-source (so also free) DTP program which is also downloadable for Windows, Mac or Linux. It can be a pain to use, but it's exceptionally good at what it does.
Poodle
Forum Neophyte

Postby Braininvat on August 4th, 2016, 11:43 am 

The thread seems to have gone dormant, but this might prove useful information anyway. Thanks, Poodle. You, and new member Phildoggymaster, seem to have joined in the same 24 hours. I suppose that's just a coincidence?
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Poodle on August 4th, 2016, 5:18 pm 

Absolute coincidence, Braininvat. Apart from my initials, the only name I use anywhere on the net is this one. I can see why you'd ask, though.
Poodle
Forum Neophyte

Postby Hendrick Laursen on November 21st, 2016, 5:23 pm 

Hi there,
I came across this great program NitroPDF, which actually can turn .DOC/.DOCX to .PDF and most wonderfully, .PDF to .DOC/DOCX with quite fine quality. (It supports many other formats as well, and has a built-in OCR) I suppose it'd be of use.
Hendrick Laursen

Blog: View Blog (6)

Return to Computers