Odd Happening - Search Engine Tracking

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

Odd Happening - Search Engine Tracking

Postby vivian maxine on January 26th, 2015, 7:24 am 

Please, can anyone explain this? I use DuckDuckGo - "the search engine that doesn't track you" - but I'm not sure I wasn't tracked.

Yesterday, I spent about an hour at a department store web site looking at various items. When I left that site and opened another web site - a family history site - where a cousin had left a note for me, the entire page was surrounded by every item I had looked at on the department store site. They were spread across the top and down both sides.

Oddly, it isn't happening anywhere else. Only at this one site. Was I hacked or what?

Thank you.

P.S. The story get weirder. I usually use DuckDuckGo. This morning I returned to the family history site using Firefox and it would not let me log in. Over and over, it kept saying it did not recognize the address. I then went to DuckDuckGo and logged in just fine.

I think I need to know something about the Duck engine. Yes?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Odd Happening - Search Engine Tracking

Postby Watson on January 27th, 2015, 3:44 pm 

Trusting something on the internet. Hmmmmm? Cute idea.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on January 27th, 2015, 4:23 pm 

Watson » January 27th, 2015, 2:44 pm wrote:Trusting something on the internet. Hmmmmm? Cute idea.

I was reared to trust those who know more than I. Of one thing I am certain. Whoever puts together this "stuff" knows more than I. And I have a feeling he actually knows he is messing me up and having fun doing it.

Tell me I am right.

So, is there no explanation as to what happened? I don't need to know? Like adults used to say "Because I said so."
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on January 27th, 2015, 5:31 pm 

If you were using Chrome and you had signed into your google mail account while using Chrome, I'm pretty sure google still tracks you whether or not you actually ever visit www.google.com.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Dave_Oblad on January 27th, 2015, 5:40 pm 

Hi Vivian,

I could be wrong, but the issue is probably related to Cookies. Those are small files a Website puts on your system to help it remember what your preferences are. Cookies have expanded and now contain lots of additional junk, like perhaps all your recent purchases might be put in a cookie. I don't know if different Browsers or Search Engines keep a separate place for its placing cookies gathered specific to that Browser or Search Engine. But I have noticed that when I switched from Internet-Explorer to Firefox, that the folder where cookies were stored for IE haven't changed much. Most recent files are dated 4 months ago. And I'm not sure why that is.. because I haven't used IE for about a year.

Anyway, I would probably bet the strangeness and tracking are due to Cookies. I'm not sure about the relationships between Web Sites/Search Engines/Browsers as far as cookies, cookie access and cookie locations are concerned.

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Last edited by Dave_Oblad on January 27th, 2015, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 27th, 2015, 5:45 pm 

Paralith » January 27th, 2015, 4:31 pm wrote:If you were using Chrome and you had signed into your google mail account while using Chrome, I'm pretty sure google still tracks you whether or not you actually ever visit http://www.google.com.

So Google, which I access through Firefox tracks me even if I am using DuckDuckGo?

All right. Does that explain how the items I looked at at the Neiman Marcus site appeared around the message I was reading at FindaGrave?

And does that tie in with what the New York Times article said about Verizon and other servers finding ways to get around our settings that we have chosen?

Just curious about these things and thank you for enlightening me. Even if I can do nothing about it, I do like knowing what is being done. My curiosity button is always on.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on January 27th, 2015, 5:50 pm 

I said, if you were using Chrome (google's web browser) and if you signed into your google mail account at any time while using Chrome. I'm not sure if the same goes for using Firefox instead of Chrome.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby vivian maxine on January 27th, 2015, 5:54 pm 

Dave_Oblad » January 27th, 2015, 4:40 pm wrote:Hi Vivian,

I could be wrong, but the issue is probably related to Cookies. Those are small files a Website puts on your system to help it remember what your preferences are. Cookies have expanded and now contain lots of additional junk, like perhaps all your recent purchases might be put in a cookie. I don't know if different browsers/Search engines keep a separate place for its placing cookies gathered specific to that browser or search engine. But I have noticed that when I switched from Internet-Explorer to Firefox, that the folder where cookies were stored for IE haven't changed much. Most recent files are dated 4 months ago. And I'm not sure why that is because I haven't used IE for about a year.

Anyway, I would probably bet the strangeness and tracking are due to Cookies. Not sure about the relationship between web sites and Search Engines as far as cookies are concerned.

Best wishes,

Thank you, Dave. That sounds like the NYT article. It stressed Verizon more than any other but it said there were others. They have found ways to get around our setting when/if we block ads. They have found a way to block our blocks. Sounds like cookies?

Don't you wonder if businesses pay to have that done? They do want us to look at their ads. Nothing wrong with wanting but can be quite annoying if you don't know what they are doing.

Fortunately, being the old fashioned cuss that I am, I do not make purchases online.

By the way, where do you look at what cookies are stored? I have never seen such. Thanks.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 27th, 2015, 5:57 pm 

Paralith » January 27th, 2015, 4:50 pm wrote:I said, if you were using Chrome (google's web browser) and if you signed into your google mail account at any time while using Chrome. I'm not sure if the same goes for using Firefox instead of Chrome.

I understand. I probably just worded it wrong. The gist of it is that they are all after us.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on January 27th, 2015, 6:05 pm 

Hi Vivian,

This is the disk address for where my IE cookies are stored:
C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
I don't know at this time where Firefox puts them...

Are You using an Ad Blocker? I use "AdBlock Plus 2.6.7" It's free.. easy to install. Helps a lot.
It has kept me sane...lol.

Best wishes,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 27th, 2015, 6:18 pm 

Dave_Oblad » January 27th, 2015, 5:05 pm wrote:Hi Vivian,

This is the disk address for where my IE cookies are stored:
C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
I don't know at this time where Firefox puts them...

Are You using an Ad Blocker? I use "AdBlock Plus 2.6.7" It's free.. easy to install. Helps a lot.
It has kept me sane...lol.

Best wishes,

That or something similar. I'll work on it tomorrow. I almost never even open IE any more. As for Ad Blockers, I have never bothered because I was not getting inundated with ads. But another one or two of what I got the other day may change my mind.

Thanks and good night.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Hendrick Laursen on January 28th, 2015, 5:52 am 

Hi Dave & Viv

For firefox:

1. Open it, and then press Ctrl+Shift+Del
2. Adjust the time range to "everything"
3. And be sure that only "cookies" have ticks.
4. Press "Clear now", and it's done.

or
to the path:
C:\Users\Hendie\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

For Google Chrome:
It happens for the "cookie path" to be
C:\Users\Hendie\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
can be cleared manually from there.

PS: This was seen in Dave's proposed path too, after Users, the folder name is your User Name for administrating Windows, so it can vary, e.g. "Dave" is Oblad's Computer User Name and "Hendie" mine.

Bye
Hendrick Laursen

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby vivian maxine on January 28th, 2015, 8:18 am 

Hendrick Laursen » January 28th, 2015, 4:52 am wrote:Hi Dave & Viv

For firefox:

1. Open it, and then press Ctrl+Shift+Del
2. Adjust the time range to "everything"
3. And be sure that only "cookies" have ticks.
4. Press "Clear now", and it's done.

or
to the path:
C:\Users\Hendie\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

For Google Chrome:
It happens for the "cookie path" to be
C:\Users\Hendie\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data
can be cleared manually from there.

PS: This was seen in Dave's proposed path too, after Users, the folder name is your User Name for administrating Windows, so it can vary, e.g. "Dave" is Oblad's Computer User Name and "Hendie" mine.

Bye

Thank you, Hendie. Studying this, I am guessing you are saying how to delete those cookies. Am I right? What I wanted - first, anyway - was to see them. I've never seen them. Was curious. I'll go take a look.

By the way I have a setting enabled to remove all cookies each evening when I shut down. So, is that doing what you just described?

I appreciate your instructions and explanations. Every little bit helps a "dummie" like me.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on January 28th, 2015, 11:02 am 

I gave up years ago on this and I just think of my time on the internet as being like sitting in an open air bar surrounded by salesmen.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby vivian maxine on January 28th, 2015, 11:09 am 

wolfhnd » January 28th, 2015, 10:02 am wrote:I gave up years ago on this and I just think of my time on the internet as being like sitting in an open air bar surrounded by salesmen.

Makes sense to me. But I think, even in the short time I've been on it, it has changed drastically - faster than general history has changed. Attitudes on the use of the internet have changed and not for the better.

Am I being a cynic? Or is there some fact in what I think I see?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 28th, 2015, 11:17 am 

I'd also say it has to do with cookies. A lot of websites don't work if you block all cookies. I set my browsers to block third party cookies, or block all, then just allow as needed, but it can be a pain. Depending on the browser, you can usually set it to delete all cookies when closing your browser to turn off your computer.

Use all the easy to install blockers that you can, and practice ignoring the ads that do come up. That's my strategy. Over the years I have trained myself to not even see ads usually. Ads usually show up in certain locations on websites and they do change those locations from time to time, but you can train yourself to ignore those locations. Try to keep in mind the reason you came on the internet, what it is you are searching for, and not let those kinds of things distract you.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby wolfhnd on January 28th, 2015, 11:31 am 

No it is a serious social issue. Big companies want internet taxation to drive out the small competitors. Industry has no interest in free speech in fact I'm surprised they let people comment on products. My guess is we can thank the small guys for the comments on product pages. Another major issues in the effects on teens that large corporations may have by way of social media. We need to push back and hard but that has to be by way of congress and international conventions.

The great promise to me of the internet is free and open communication breaking down authoritarian and monopolistic practices.

The internet needs to remain free contact your congress man lol
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 28th, 2015, 11:48 am 

wolfhnd » January 28th, 2015, 10:31 am wrote:

No it is a serious social issue. Big companies want internet taxation to drive out the small competitors. Industry has no interest in free speech in fact I'm surprised they let people comment on products. My guess is we can thank the small guys for the comments on product pages. Another major issues in the effects on teens that large corporations may have by way of social media. We need to push back and hard but that has to be by way of congress and international conventions.

The great promise to me of the internet is free and open communication breaking down authoritarian and monopolistic practices.

The internet needs to remain free contact your congress man lol

Contact MY congressman? LOL hysterically. I agree with all you say. There is a fine line to be drawn but I fear it is being drawn in the wrong places.

Take care.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 13th, 2015, 1:55 pm 

I keep getting a variety of junk emails, with the common address Box 4 1 2 0 Portland Oregon. There is some association with a website Fa/rm For/ward . com
Any ideas what this is all about?
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Hendrick Laursen on May 18th, 2015, 4:24 pm 

Сould be your e-mail provider or some site you'd signed up leaking info, so providing junk e-mail senders with your info.
I used to receive lots of junk emails from Ouagadougou, oceans away.
The point is that you mustn't respond at all.
Hendrick Laursen

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Dave_Oblad on May 18th, 2015, 4:35 pm 

Yea, I had a Newbie on the net send me one of those Fancy Free Christmas Cards via a Web Site. All you do is provide an Email Address and written personal message and they send a Fancy Digital Card to the identified recipients email address.

Then they sell the email address to spammers.

So warn your friends not to use such services. I got a spam deluge right after getting that Xmas Card. Thanks a lot Newbie.

Regards,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

SciameriKen liked this post

Return to Computers