I P addresses

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

I P addresses

Postby vivian maxine on May 21st, 2015, 10:26 am 

I thought our internet service provider assigned an IP address to a computer and that was the only address. However, I use two different email accounts and have just found that my IP addresses are different in each. Is this how it is done? Or am I misinterpreting what G-mail is telling me? I did do a lookup and both IP addresses are labeled as mine.

Also, the one from my internet service provider changed overnight. It is different today than it was yesterday. Do ISPs change addresses like that. Today's also checks out as mine.

Can someone please talk about IP addresses and how they work? Thank you.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: I P addresses

Postby Braininvat on May 21st, 2015, 1:14 pm 

An ISP server can assign different ISP addresses to different accounts, because a computer may have multiple users. The overnight change is because most ISPs only "lease" you an IP number and then that lease resets every so often and any given IP number cycles between different clients. It's not usually every night, but if you happen to be paying attention the day that the lease cycle ends, then you will see an overnight change in IP. Some DSL systems remove your IP number if you shut them off for an hour or two, and then reassign you another IP number when you turn it back on. This "dynamic" IP allows some trolls and spammers to change their IP number quite often. (either that, or they just use public wifi and walk to a different coffee shop, and take advantage of wireless routers that have different IP numbers) There are ways, however, to figure out when home trolls and spammers do the on/off trick, but I would prefer not to discuss this in an open forum.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Faradave liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on May 21st, 2015, 1:44 pm 

Braininvat » May 21st, 2015, 12:14 pm wrote:An ISP server can assign different ISP addresses to different accounts, because a computer may have multiple users. The overnight change is because most ISPs only "lease" you an IP number and then that lease resets every so often and any given IP number cycles between different clients. It's not usually every night, but if you happen to be paying attention the day that the lease cycle ends, then you will see an overnight change in IP. Some DSL systems remove your IP number if you shut them off for an hour or two, and then reassign you another IP number when you turn it back on. This "dynamic" IP allows some trolls and spammers to change their IP number quite often. (either that, or they just use public wifi and walk to a different coffee shop, and take advantage of wireless routers that have different IP numbers) There are ways, however, to figure out when home trolls and spammers do the on/off trick, but I would prefer not to discuss this in an open forum.

Thank you. That is exactly what is happening. And I do shut down every night. Sometimes during the day if I'm going out.

I appreciate the answer. My education for the day. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 21st, 2015, 2:26 pm 

Me too. I thought the IP address was like a finger print that stayed with you, and identified your misdeeds. How do I find my IP address?
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on May 21st, 2015, 3:28 pm 

How I found out: G-mail: At the bottom of the letter, to the right, click on "Details" and Google will tell you. Either that or send you into a tizzy wondering why you have three addresses. :-)

Another way. Google "What is my IP address?" I was expecting to have to click some link and fill in a government-length form. No. Click a link and its page comes up with my IP address in the frame already.

Bet you knew that. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

BraininvatFaradave liked this post

Postby Watson on May 21st, 2015, 6:09 pm 

I thought it was in my control panel somewhere.
Bet I didn't, but always ready to learn.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on May 22nd, 2015, 9:33 am 

Watson » May 21st, 2015, 5:09 pm wrote:I thought it was in my control panel somewhere.
Bet I didn't, but always ready to learn.

It probably is but I do not know where. There is so much in the computer that I am totally unaware of until it suddenly jumps out and growls. Simple things I should be able to find but can't. I've decided not to worry about it. If I clicked anything I'd probably break the machine.

Good morning.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on May 22nd, 2015, 11:10 am 

The google method gives you your public IP address. Some confusion can result, however, if you get an IP address for your wifi router, which is what happens if you go through the settings menu on an android, or control panel on pc. That's a private IP number that just identifies your router to the network and your devices. That IP doesn't change. And tends not to growl.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on May 22nd, 2015, 11:14 am 

Braininvat » May 22nd, 2015, 10:10 am wrote:The google method gives you your public IP address. Some confusion can result, however, if you get an IP address for your wifi router, which is what happens if you go through the settings menu on an android, or control panel on pc. That's a private IP number that just identifies your router to the network and your devices. That IP doesn't change. And tends not to growl.

That is what a friend who uses a wifi router told me - that hers never changes. I don't know if she knew it was because of the router. Thanks for explaining.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on May 22nd, 2015, 12:19 pm 

Happy to. Some routers, btw, get hopelessly confused if you shut them off. I had a Netgear brand router which, if you shut it off for more than a few hours, would be unable to recognize the network when you turned it back on. I couldn't get it working again until I pushed its (well hidden) factory reset button and went through the whole installing process again. I thought that was a definite drawback of that router, given that many people like to shut off their router when they go on vacation.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on May 22nd, 2015, 12:52 pm 

Braininvat » May 22nd, 2015, 11:19 am wrote:Happy to. Some routers, btw, get hopelessly confused if you shut them off. I had a Netgear brand router which, if you shut it off for more than a few hours, would be unable to recognize the network when you turned it back on. I couldn't get it working again until I pushed its (well hidden) factory reset button and went through the whole installing process again. I thought that was a definite drawback of that router, given that many people like to shut off their router when they go on vacation.

My friend shuts her whole system down every night. The router is new to her. We shall see what happens.

Thanks again.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on May 22nd, 2015, 1:05 pm 

You know, it's not really necessary to turn everything off every night. Most computers these days are built with power optimization to go into a sleep or other low power mode after a period of inactivity, and this allows them to still be awake to receive updates and things like that, and return to being fully awake very quickly. And something like a router uses very little power.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Watson on May 22nd, 2015, 1:17 pm 

Sounds like you can have several IPAs associated with your computer.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on May 22nd, 2015, 1:21 pm 

India Pale Ales? I didn't know computers were such hipsters.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Watson liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on May 22nd, 2015, 2:55 pm 

Paralith » May 22nd, 2015, 12:05 pm wrote:You know, it's not really necessary to turn everything off every night. Most computers these days are built with power optimization to go into a sleep or other low power mode after a period of inactivity, and this allows them to still be awake to receive updates and things like that, and return to being fully awake very quickly. And something like a router uses very little power.

I know you are right but there are reasons for doing it also. Her reason is to keep hackers out, she says. Mine? It has changed over time from one reason to another but, right now, it's a good reason - I think. I had to set my period of activity to be always on for my virus scan to work. ESET (love/hate relationship there <g>) had a problem with the monitor going into low power or sleep mode. ESET started over every time that happened. Result 20 or more hours of running and still not finished. Someone suggested setting it to always on which helped a great deal. Still not perfect but better.

Then there is the fact that I just rest better if all the doors and windows are locked and everything is shut down.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on May 22nd, 2015, 5:36 pm 

I'm pretty sure that turning your router off every night will do very little to stop you from getting hacked. Making sure you have good passwords is far more effective. Not to mention that one individual is rarely the target of hackers - the websites of large companies and corporations usually are.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Braininvat liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on May 23rd, 2015, 7:57 am 

Paralith » May 22nd, 2015, 4:36 pm wrote:I'm pretty sure that turning your router off every night will do very little to stop you from getting hacked. Making sure you have good passwords is far more effective. Not to mention that one individual is rarely the target of hackers - the websites of large companies and corporations usually are.

I have heard this often and it does make sense. Spam, on the other hand? I recently had a "boxful" of spam from a number of friends, all of whom belong to the same social site which I'll be kind and not name. They said their computers were hacked but I have a feeling it was the simple old selling of lists.

As for the router, I am not getting that fancy. I like the simple life.

Good morning.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on May 23rd, 2015, 8:04 am 

P. S. Is this relevant? From Science Daily: Cyber Security methods need updating?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... ceDaily%29
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Computers