How to avoid Windows 10?

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

How to avoid Windows 10?

Postby vivian maxine on August 12th, 2015, 8:45 am 

Is there a way to stop MS from pestering me with "Get Windows 10"? Is there a way to shut it off with finality?

Thanks.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

glennAms liked this post

Re: How to avoid Windows 10?

Postby Watson on August 12th, 2015, 11:45 am 

I have Norton doing the same thing.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on August 12th, 2015, 12:14 pm 

Watson » August 12th, 2015, 10:45 am wrote:I have Norton doing the same thing.

Now that is interesting. I was telling me that ESET was faster than MS and that MS would be here soon but it is not here yet. A friend in TX got hers but she uses XL and only gets the cleanup one. Maybe they do the small ones first?

If Norton is also doing it, could MS be trying to update this way? I can't see why but never know in this new world we live in.

I must call ESET again. They have not returned my call.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby someguy1 on August 12th, 2015, 2:22 pm 

vivian maxine » August 12th, 2015, 6:45 am wrote:Is there a way to stop MS from pestering me with "Get Windows 10"? Is there a way to shut it off with finality?

Thanks.

Get a Mac. Or delete Windoze and install Linux. Problem solved.
someguy1

Postby Paralith on August 12th, 2015, 2:26 pm 

From what I hear, you might actually want Windows 10. It's being pretty positively received by most people.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vivian maxine on August 12th, 2015, 2:51 pm 

Paralith » August 12th, 2015, 1:26 pm wrote:From what I hear, you might actually want Windows 10. It's being pretty positively received by most people.

This is what I am waiting for, Paralith. Not just because of my favorite Language teacher's motto but because, in the case of computers, I thoroughly believe it is true. She always said "Be not the first by whom the new are tried; nor yet the last to lay the old aside." For anyone who knows so little about computers and how to deal with them, I prefer to let the experts try them out, find the kinks, let MS fix the kinks and then get one. It has worked well for me.

We all have our talents. I may not be able to fix a malfunctioning electronic instrument - and do not enjoy panic attacks - but I can find Canady's (Canada's) peak. :-)

So, is there a way to shut off all these attempts? I did open their page and I find nowhere that says "do not ask any more" or some such.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby CanadysPeak on August 12th, 2015, 4:13 pm 

vivian maxine » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:51 pm wrote:
Paralith » August 12th, 2015, 1:26 pm wrote:From what I hear, you might actually want Windows 10. It's being pretty positively received by most people.

This is what I am waiting for, Paralith. Not just because of my favorite Language teacher's motto but because, in the case of computers, I thoroughly believe it is true. She always said "Be not the first by whom the new are tried; nor yet the last to lay the old aside." For anyone who knows so little about computers and how to deal with them, I prefer to let the experts try them out, find the kinks, let MS fix the kinks and then get one. It has worked well for me.

We all have our talents. I may not be able to fix a malfunctioning electronic instrument - and do not enjoy panic attacks - but I can find Canady's (Canada's) peak. :-)

So, is there a way to shut off all these attempts? I did open their page and I find nowhere that says "do not ask any more" or some such.

Try conditioning. Say "No" often enough and the program will learn that you are not a good customer.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby Braininvat on August 12th, 2015, 5:07 pm 

BTW, thanks Vivian. My lazy search for Canady's Peak went nowhere. As you said, old books can be your friends.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on August 12th, 2015, 5:50 pm 

Braininvat » August 12th, 2015, 4:07 pm wrote:BTW, thanks Vivian. My lazy search for Canady's Peak went nowhere. As you said, old books can be your friends.

You are welcome. Some time I'll want you to explain Einstein's theory. It's beyond me.

I haven't had time to search but I'd like to know if it was originally Canada or Kennedy. Or, maybe simply Canadys which someone changed. Maybe CanadysPeak knows.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Computers