News re Windows 10, 7 and 8

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

News re Windows 10, 7 and 8

Postby vivian maxine on September 6th, 2015, 3:14 pm 

I just received this from a friend.

Turns out the next updates from Windows will install some hated features of 10 or previous versions.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... ix&ref=yfp
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: News re Windows 10, 7 and 8

Postby Watson on September 6th, 2015, 4:53 pm 

We are lemmings, in so many ways.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Watson on September 7th, 2015, 1:34 pm 

I just had a file put on my PC. It is widevinecgmadapter.dll version45.0.2454.85. Developer is Google Inc. How do I know?? Norton let me know it was safe.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on September 7th, 2015, 1:41 pm 

Google does that. So does Thunderbird and therein is trouble because ESET - and they say most large antivirus companies - do not check Thunderbird. Why not? Because Mozilla Firefox changes so constantly that they cannot keep their programs up to date with Mozilla's. So we are told.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on October 23rd, 2015, 2:08 pm 

I just restarted my PC and got a message 'downloading up grades, Do not turn off your computer' with no word of what it was, or if I wanted it or not.

More importantly, I just got an invitation to upgrade to Windows 10, for FREE and they will include a virtual assistant.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on October 23rd, 2015, 2:31 pm 

[quote="Watson » October 23rd, 2015, 1:08 pm"]I just restarted my PC and got a message 'downloading up grades, Do not turn off your computer' with no word of what it was, or if I wanted it or not.

More importantly, I just got an invitation to upgrade to Windows 10, for FREE and they will include a virtual assistant.[/quote

Welcome to the fun, Watson.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on February 7th, 2016, 10:35 am 

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/your-pc-will-automatically-download-windows-10-092425005.html

Your PC Will Automatically Download Windows 10 This Week
Rob Waugh's Yahoo Blog
February 4, 2016

A lot of PC users are going to see Windows 10 suddenly appear on their machines this week.

Windows 10 has been changed to a ‘recommended’ upgrade - from an optional one.

If your Windows 7 or 8 machine is set to automatically install recommended items (the default setting), it will download several gigabytes of data.

Microsoft says that users still have the choice of whether to upgrade, according to a report in The Register.

Microsoft said in a statement, ‘As we shared in late October on the Windows Blog, we are committed to making it easy for our Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers to upgrade to Windows 10.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on February 7th, 2016, 11:14 am 

And their next step is to automatically download it onto those whose computers are set to "ask me before downloading". Bet?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on February 7th, 2016, 11:53 am 

Well, we've been asking and asking, but you didn't answer. We assumed you were asleep and didn't want to disturb you. So, here it is! You're welcome.
Serpent
Resident Member

vivian maxine liked this post

Postby Serpent on March 7th, 2016, 7:42 pm 

I finally succumbed to its wheedling and let Windows 10 download.
That was last night. Today, I'm frustrated, ticked off and inconvenienced.

#1. I don't want software to be my friend or my mentor or my confessor or my administrative assistant. I want it to know its place, shut up and be a useful tool.

# 2. I hate the way it reconfigured my internet access, bookmarks and screen.

# 3. I really hate the unrelenting self- and commercial network promotion of this thing.

Tomorrow, I'll bribe (tacos for lunch could work) my resident nerd to uninstall it.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Watson on March 7th, 2016, 10:52 pm 

Sorry to hear. Hope it is reversible. The latest tactic is a notice that my scheduled upgrade is ready. Do it now or in... 1,2,4 etc. hours. It took a while to find the Foff button to cancel it. I already got rid of my cell phone, and am managing fine.
Watson
Resident Member

Return to Computers