A cell phone puzzle

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

A cell phone puzzle

Postby vivian maxine on September 18th, 2015, 6:46 pm 

Has anyone experienced this? If so, have you any idea what it going on when it happens? I have seven friends listed in my cell phone on speed dial numbers. They all work fine except one. I push his number and hear nothing. No ringing and no reply. The phone icon indicates that it is ringing but nothing sounds. However, at his end, he says it does ring and he does answer but gets dead silence. And, yes, I am holding the phone an extra long time to give him a chance to answer.

Today, after four or five tries, I dialed his entire phone number. I got the same reaction. The screen shows who I am calling but I get no sound. Finally, my friend, guessing that it was me, called me. That worked fine from his end. At home I call him on my land line and have no such problems. It's only the cell phone that does this.

When we finished talking, I called another friend as a test. She answered immediately and we talked a while. No problem at all.

Sometimes I think the electronic butterfly in outer space has me marked for destruction. Computers, cell phones, anything electronic - they just don't like me. :-(
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: A cell phone puzzle

Postby Dave_Oblad on September 18th, 2015, 7:13 pm 

Hi Viv,

Does your friend, who doesn't seem to respond, have an unusual area code?

See, some phone systems allow one to keep their old area code when they move. This has caused all kinds of grief when you move to an area and a local friend attempts to call you on a restricted line. Meaning their service can only call local numbers, such as in Anaheim CA, but your phone number has a New York Area Code, even though you live in Anaheim now, so your call is disallowed. (You kept your old number when you moved from New York to Anaheim)

Here is the catch.. If your friend has a long distance area code then the Telephone Cell System will be looking for him in New York, when in fact, he lives next door to you in Anaheim. Or, if you left your purse at the store, how long will it take to find your purse while searching for it at home?

Does that help?

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vivian maxine on September 19th, 2015, 7:29 am 

Actually, Dave, he has the same area code that I have. Since he drives a cab, he is out moving. At first I thought that was the problem. However, he says his phone does ring and he does answer. That's when he gets dead silene which I am already having. And he says he is receiving other calls.

I do know what you mean about those long distance numbers. I have a neighbor who lives nearby in St Louis but uses his old Illinois number. For that reason, I can not call him on my land line, not having long distance service with them.

Thanks.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on September 19th, 2015, 11:06 am 

It's the taxi. He answers and the call happpens to get dropped as he does. Perhaps moving past a large truck, building, or other obstacle to the signal.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on September 19th, 2015, 11:25 am 

Braininvat » September 19th, 2015, 10:06 am wrote:It's the taxi. He answers and the call happpens to get dropped as he does. Perhaps moving past a large truck, building, or other obstacle to the signal.

Which is pretty much what I suspect also. But, so often is more than coincidence, wouldn't you think? Maybe not in city traffic. But why is he hearing the ringing and I not?

Thank you.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby CanadysPeak on September 19th, 2015, 12:26 pm 

Ask your friend who provides his cell service.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby vivian maxine on September 19th, 2015, 3:16 pm 

CanadysPeak » September 19th, 2015, 11:26 am wrote:Ask your friend who provides his cell service.

Will do next time I see him.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Computers