desk top? lap top? tablet? etc.

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

desk top? lap top? tablet? etc.

Postby vivian maxine on January 15th, 2016, 8:22 am 

Considering how often my name appears here, I must be the only person who is a total dummy when it comes to computers - or anything electronic, for that matter.

I may be having to buy a new computer. They now make so many different kinds that I often have to ask "what's that?". Desk tops, lap tops, tablets, and 100 more. I'd appreciate advice.

For a stay at home, simple email/searcher/one-or-two-forums person, what do I really want/need? Right now I have an old Dell desk top but it may be dying, meaning I am going to be on a tough ride to relearning everything.

Thanks for thoughts. viv
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Natural ChemE liked this post

Re: desk top? lap top? tablet? etc.

Postby Natural ChemE on January 15th, 2016, 9:22 am 

vivian maxine,

Naw, not everyone's an expert. Just you're unusually bold in your willingness to ask/discuss new topics. It's a very good quality!

If you just want to perform simple tasks, most modern devices will be sufficient. Some tablets do struggle with space constraints for their applications, but it's generally possible to work around that to some extent. More expensive computers can be appropriate if you wanted to play video games (which are demanding for their graphics) or scientific applications (which require a lot of number crunching). However browsing websites, etc., tends to be easy.

So, it's probably a question of form factor. The smaller you go, the more portable. The larger, the easier it is to interact with the device (larger screen, keyboard/mouse, etc.). Also, larger devices will tend to be much more powerful even at the same price point.

If you're going to have only one device, my thought would be a mid-sized/large laptop. Reasons:
  1. Powerful enough for most normal tasks.
  2. Portable enough to take with you around your home, outside, or on a trip.
  3. Large enough that typing isn't hard and you can see a screen without squinting.
  4. Usually more reliable than a tablet.
  5. You can use software/tools similar to what you're already familiar with.
A desktop wouldn't be a bad choice. The primary trade-off there would be that you'd be unable to carry it around the house, which is really nice if you just want to find a comfy spot and watch Netflix or something.

A tablet probably wouldn't be very fun to have as your only device. While their portability is great if it's an extra device, being limited to their smaller screens/keyboard/abilities 24/7 could be very stressful.

If you do get a laptop, you can still get an external mouse, keyboard, and even an extra screen for use at your favorite desk. Then it's like a desktop when you have those things plugged in, but you can still unplug all of the extras and take the laptop with you when you want portability.

If you do decide on a desktop, we could recommend parts for you to build your own, which is generally cheaper and more fun, plus it's pretty easy (even if it doesn't sound easy). Sadly building a tablet/laptop would require specialized equipment and parts.

Finally, you'd have your old computer left over, right? A lot of people use their old computers as home-theater computers! You basically just plug your TV into your old computer's box using one of the HDMI ports (or whatever your TV and computer have), then you can use your old computer to watch Netflix, YouTube, etc. on your TV! Additionally you can still do stuff like check your email on your TV if you're so inclined. You switch to the home-theater PC using the "Source" button on your TV's remote control like you're switching to a DVD player or VCR.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Dave_Oblad liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on January 15th, 2016, 9:38 am 

Thank you, NC. So, we eliminate tablet right away. As for being able to move it around, I am pretty sure that is not something I'd be doing. When I put this device to bed about 3:00 or 4:00 PM, it has gone to bed for the night.

Of course, it may turn out that the problem here is simple and can be fixed. I surely hope so as I want to keep Windows 7 as long as possible. Not at all eager to tackle Windows 10. But I know the time is coming.

I like your list of advantages. Shall print that out and carry it with me. Thank you for that. It will help me make the choice - having foregone Tablet.

viv
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Ormond on January 15th, 2016, 10:12 am 

Naw, not everyone's an expert. Just you're unusually bold in your willingness to ask/discuss new topics. It's a very good quality!

Agreed!

If you do get a laptop, you can still get an external mouse, keyboard, and even an extra screen for use at your favorite desk. Then it's like a desktop when you have those things plugged in, but you can still unplug all of the extras and take the laptop with you when you want portability.

Yes, this is good advice, I second the motion. You probably already have the mouse, keyboard and monitor. So if you replace the dying desktop with a laptop, you can have both your normal setup on a desk AND a new portability.

Here's a plan for having the most reliable hassle free computing experience possible.

Don't buy new, buy used.

Here's what I do. A new Mac laptop would cost me something like $1200, more with an extended warranty. I can buy 4 used five year old laptops for the same price.

If a new Mac dies, I'm headed for a big hassle, which makes me very grumpy! Been there, done that, sick of it. :-)

If a used Mac dies, I just toss it in the trash and fire up the next used Mac. Five minutes down time, and then back to work. No Mr. Grumpy!

If you want to do this on Macs I can suggest a reliable vendor of used machines. I'm sure good used vendors must exist on the Windows side too, but I don't know who they are.

The strategy above is not suitable for those who really do need the latest features. But that's very few people. The vast majority of us just want to use the Net, which 5 year old machines can easily handle.

The pace of technical development in the computer world is such that computer makers are always experimenting with new parts, which come from a dizzying array of vendors all over the world. This tends to make new machines less reliable than old ones because any flaws in the new parts are as yet unknown. If there is a flaw in an old machine a million people will have already complained about it online, so you can see what you're getting, before you buy.

Hope this is helpful, and good luck.
Ormond
Banned User

Postby Ormond on January 15th, 2016, 10:19 am 

Not at all eager to tackle Windows 10. But I know the time is coming.

If you're going to have to learn a new operating system anyway, could be the time to try a Mac? Perhaps a friend can give you a tour? Just a thought...

If you should go used and Mac, the operating system called Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.8) is a reliable well tested old friend. As with hardware, new software is not always better.
Ormond
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on January 15th, 2016, 10:38 am 

Thank you, Ormond. Actually I am debating between Apple and MS but that's the next decision after I know which I want. Apple service is outstanding. I know that from things users have told me and what I observed with a neighbor who bought one.. But they have a few disadvantages for someone who cannot set up, fix, and all that. There must be quite a difference somewhere in the works as too many repair persons tell me they cannot work on MACs. In this county, that's no problem since we have an Apple store - two of them. But what if I have to move to where there is no such? Second: They do not come out and set up the computer. Microsoft store does not either but Dell does. That is, unless they've changed their policy since everything is getting smaller. I'll find out.

Lots of things to think about. I decided to take one step at a time - first, know what I want. But I will talk with both MS and Apple store people to learn the big differences, if any.

Thanks. I am off now. viv
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Ormond on January 15th, 2016, 11:05 am 

Apple service is outstanding.

That may be true, but wouldn't it be better if we didn't need service? Because I buy used for cheap, and toss broken machines rather than fix them, I no longer need Apple, or repairmen. At all. Bye bye now to both, all gone, never again etc.

My experience is that Apple generally does honor their warranties, but it's not at all out of the question that it might require four trips to the Apple store to resolve the issue.

Apologies for my religious fervor on this subject :-) I'm just happy to be done with repairs and high prices.

Second: They do not come out and set up the computer.

You really shouldn't need this service, at least with a Mac, don't know about MS. If you do need it, you can always hire a local college kid. Pretty much any friend who uses a Mac would be sufficient, unless you have complex needs I'm not aware of.
Ormond
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on January 16th, 2016, 7:03 am 

I visited an Apple and a Microsoft store yesterday. I'll not talk about how the visits went. Just have two questions.

1. Has anyone bought a computer at a Microsoft store? Did you find - as I did yesterday, that they are very limited on what brands they sell? I thought they could order whatever brand I wanted but apparently not. All I found there was HP, which I do not want, and Lenova, about which I know nothing. I came away wondering exactly what it is MS is selling.

2. Does anyone know anything about Lenova?

Thanks. By the way, I rather liked the looks of Windows 10.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on January 16th, 2016, 7:36 am 

Ursa got a lenova Yoga. It's nice. Lightweight, can be used more like a tablet or a laptop. Don't worrry about the Windows 10. It's not that bad.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on January 16th, 2016, 8:41 am 

mtbturtle » January 16th, 2016, 6:36 am wrote:Ursa got a lenova Yoga. It's nice. Lightweight, can be used more like a tablet or a laptop. Don't worrry about the Windows 10. It's not that bad.

Thank you. That is good to hear. I've always had Dell. Anything else is totally foreign to me.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on January 16th, 2016, 12:20 pm 

Hi Vivian,
I learn a lot from your questions and the answers you get. I have an HP TouchSmart and it has been good all these years. The Mboard went and I was without it for a few weeks, but it got fixed N/C, and has been good for the last 5 years and was about 3 at the time. It may be getting time to replace soon, but I'll have to sell a few painting first. I think I'll try an apple next. Maybe I'll see how you do, but looks like you'll have W10, like it or not.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on January 16th, 2016, 12:33 pm 

Watson » January 16th, 2016, 11:20 am wrote:Hi Vivian,
I learn a lot from your questions and the answers you get. I have an HP TouchSmart and it has been good all these years. The Mboard went and I was without it for a few weeks, but it got fixed N/C, and has been good for the last 5 years and was about 3 at the time. It may be getting time to replace soon, but I'll have to sell a few painting first. I think I'll try an apple next. Maybe I'll see how you do, but looks like you'll have W10, like it or not.

Watson, I am glad my questions are worth reading. I always get good answers. As for HP, I can only say that sometimes past experiences can sour you on a company and you don't go there any more. After three printers, none of which lasted a year and which I learned later were not even new plus other little things in trying to deal with them, I quit HP. I am glad your computer is holding up. That's a plus for them but I'll take something else.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on January 16th, 2016, 12:39 pm 

Try Best Buy Vivian. They will have lots of different makers and model, including Apple, so you can feel them all up and compare.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on January 16th, 2016, 12:51 pm 

mtbturtle » January 16th, 2016, 11:39 am wrote:Try Best Buy Vivian. They will have lots of different makers and model, including Apple, so you can feel them all up and compare.

That would be a great store to compare, wouldn't it? Now, finding a salesman will be a challenge. <G> I'll be out there soon (if the river is down and the roads cleaned up).
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Watson on January 16th, 2016, 12:56 pm 

Yes I had sour feelings about HP in the past and it also had to do with printers and the cartridges. I'm not promoting HP. I just have no feeling one way or the other. My neighbor and my daughter have Mac so that is why I'm leaning that way, when the time comes.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby vivian maxine on January 16th, 2016, 1:21 pm 

Oh, yes, the cartridges. I'd forgotten those. Think I'll try to forget again.

I have several friend who have Macs and all love them.

Many people put IE on them. I'd like to think I didn't have to. There must be some advantage with so many doing it.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Ormond on January 16th, 2016, 1:32 pm 

I have several friend who have Macs and all love them.

I like Macs, but not Apple so much. To be fair, I really can't compare them to other computer makers.

My Mac experience improved considerably when I figured out how to avoid Apple, and buy Macs elsewhere without having to worry about warranties, returns, repairs, repairs on the repairs, trips to the Apple Store, high prices and such.

Best Buy is indeed a good place to window shop, but if you decide on a new Mac it probably would be best to get it straight from Apple. Situations involving middle men can become complicated.
Ormond
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on January 18th, 2016, 9:50 am 

Ormond, a question since your are, I think, using an Apple computer. The sales person at the store told me Apple computers have to use WiFi for internet access. Yet I have a friend who owns an Apple computer at home and she says she has never had WiFi. At her office, one of the computers is an Apple and, again, she says it is simply hooked up to all the other computers of the office and does not use WiFi.

I called the Apple store back and spoke with a second person who confirmed that Apple computers will not access the internet unless I have WiFi.

Please comment. Do you have to have WiFi? Have you used an Apple computer without having WiFi?

Clarification: About my constant use of the word "Apple", I am using the company name because I do not know the names of all their computers - or any of them. I am using "Apple" generically.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on January 18th, 2016, 5:47 pm 

Hi Viv,

No.. most Apple computers have an Ethernet Port marked like this symbol: <...>

WiFi is just a wireless connection method but requires you to have a wireless WiFi Hotspot in your area or home.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201735

I have direct wired Ethernet with one computer and WiFi on another computer, because of the cheaper method of not needing to run a cable from one end of my house to the other. To the best of my knowledge.. direct wire is faster than WiFi.. if speed is an issue.

Also, I use my WiFi hotspot to connect my TV to the Internet so I can receive Television Movies and such from Amazon, You-Tube, and many other developing streamers. The WiFi receiver is built into my Blu-Ray disk player.. so for 75$ total purchase price.. I get Blu-Ray & DVD Disk Playing and.. Internet Streaming Video programming though my Blu-Ray/DVD player, without any computer being involved.

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vivian maxine on January 18th, 2016, 6:20 pm 

Thanks, David. I do not understand "Blue Ray" but that may be because it is something I do not use. I called my ISP this morning. They said, with my desktop and modem plugged in, I will not need WiFi. I then returned to a different Apple store )we have two here) and they agreed. So, one load off my mind.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Ormond on January 18th, 2016, 7:27 pm 

Hi Vivian,

I called the Apple store back and spoke with a second person who confirmed that Apple computers will not access the internet unless I have WiFi.

This is puzzling that two people said this. As Dave says, all Macs I know about have an ethernet port so you can direct wire connect to the Net if needed. Like Dave, I have both wired and wireless connections at my house.

However, although I've been using Macs for 20 years, please recall I'm the "used Mac guy" which means I'm not up on their latest models. It's possible Apple has decided that ethernet ports are obsolete and no longer includes them on the new Macs.

So I ran off to the Apple store to check. About half way down this page....

http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/features.html

....you'll see a photo of all the ports on the Macbook Air. I don't see an ethernet port. So the sales people are probably correct.

A bit more digging and it looks like Apple may be able to provide an adapter which will connect the new ports to ethernet.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD463 ... et-adapter

If a wired connection is a must for you, this might be the solution. You might call back and ask them if a new Mac can be connected to ethernet by any method. I'm guessing it can.

12 hour battery life on the new laptops, that's pretty awesome I must admit. Mine goes only 2 hours or so.

Good luck, further questions welcome.
Ormond
Banned User

Postby zetreque on January 19th, 2016, 12:56 am 

1. I rarely see apple computers with eithernet ports anymore.
2. tablets and many new devices do not have eithernet ports and the wifi antennas can be very weak. Or they use to be anyway.
3. Having an eithernet port (physical internet connection ability) is great!
4. If my future choices are between a mac, and windows 10, I might give up on computers completely and become a nomad traveling whatever wilderness I can find left on the planet. Which seems very likely. My only hope is if by the time I need a new computer some way better option comes out. apple and microsoft are equally horrible so if you are used to Microsoft I say stay with it. I seem to crash every mac computer I ever use. I only recently started learning and using them a bunch this past year. It's like learning to skii when you know how to snowboard or vice versa.

5. I hear a lot of people say that they buy used macs and never buy new. Apple products just seem like throwaways (either if they break, or a new version comes out). Very unsustainable!
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Ormond on January 19th, 2016, 9:10 am 

5. I hear a lot of people say that they buy used macs and never buy new.

The math for this is simple. You can buy about 4 five year old computers for the price of one new one. It's considerably more likely that the one new computer will blow up than all four used machines dying.

If the new machine gets sick, you're in for a warranty hassle. The vendor will probably honor the warranty, but not before you invest hours of YOUR TIME in to helping them fix THEIR PROBLEM, a favor for which you will not be paid or thanked. The vendor's attitude is that they are doing you a favor, and you should thank them.

If one of the used machines dies, you just toss it and fire up the next one. You don't have to diagnose anything, you don't have to pull your hair out, you don't have to call anybody, you don't have to wait on hold, you don't have to bring the machine somewhere, and bring it back when the first fix doesn't work and so on. None of that.

You just toss the broken machine, and you're done. This may sound wasteful, until you remind yourself that you actually saved a lot of money by buying used.

The downside of course is you don't get the latest features. If you truly need the latest features, buying used is obviously not a good plan. Very few people need the latest features, they've just been sucked in to the breathless marketing hype machine.

Apple products just seem like throwaways (either if they break, or a new version comes out). Very unsustainable!

Apple is very focused on marketing and design, less so on quality control. I'm sure they will tell you different, and I'm sure they're wrong. It's not so much that they are sloppy I suspect, it's that they redesign the products constantly in an attempt to stay on top, and so are always working with new components etc.

All that said, I can not compare Apple to any other computer maker. It could be that Apple is sloppy about quality control, but still better at it than other makers, I really don't know. If you buy used, you don't really have to care.
Ormond
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on January 19th, 2016, 12:06 pm 

I did go to a different Apple store yesterday and got a confirmation that the desk tops (iMacs) have a port for the cable wire and I do not have to have WiFi. One sales person showed me the particular port that the cable is plugged into. From modem to that port is all I need.

I suspect - because so few people limit themselves to tied down, plugged in desk tops, the sales people just don't think to ask about that.

Hazel
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on January 19th, 2016, 2:24 pm 

vivan,

I'm going to go against some of the posters here, and I'm sorry if this adds to your confusion, but I've always found Apple computers to be much more reliable and crash-free machines than computers running any form of Windows. The same goes for Apple phones compared to other phones, like Android. Apple makes expensive, but high quality machines, that try to do as much of the confusing setup and work for you as they can. This means you have less control over some of the details of how the device runs, but for someone like you this should never be a problem. For all Apple devices, you can go to any Apple store and get help. For non-Apple devices, as you found, you have to go somewhere like Best Buy if you want to be sure they can deal with your specific device. And places like that, in my experience, are less reliably helpful. They can be, if you someone happens to work there who knows how to deal with your problem. But that doesn't always happen.

Let me put it this way. My mother, who is 66 years old, worked on Windows devices all her life until just a few years ago when we got her onto Apple devices. She is not very tech savvy at all, but she picked up the Apple devices very quickly and loves them. I think you would have very little trouble learning how to use them, and they would provide you with an easy and smooth experience doing all the things you would use a computer for.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)
ronjanec liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on January 19th, 2016, 2:39 pm 

Thank you, Paralith, for the encouragement. We have an Apple repair shop here also. They also sell iMACs and other Apple devices as well as parts software, etc. What is really great is that they also come to your house and set up the new computer. Nowadays, that really is unusual. Most shop people don't want to budge from their warm furnaces.

We shall see.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on January 19th, 2016, 3:54 pm 

Just make sure your favorite software runs on apple. At school the mac users are constantly having problems because their machines can't even run excel that well sometimes. I Installed google earth pro a few months ago on all the class computer and it installed but there was a bug that crashed it through installation on everyone's machine. I also must have crashed adobe premiere about 20 times last year on macs. I never understood why anyone says macs are more stable. I think microsoft's stability has gone up while macs has dropped over the years. I have really had nothing but problems with them. For someone like you, most of the basic programs will run on macs, but a lot of software doesn't. I found macs a pain in the ass to learn too. Shopping for a new computer is hard, and they are a real headache period.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Ormond on January 19th, 2016, 6:43 pm 

I think you would have very little trouble learning how to use Macs, and they would provide you with an easy and smooth experience doing all the things you would use a computer for.

Yes, I think this is likely true. Do you have any friends with Macs who would be willing to spend an hour with you on their Mac?

It might help if you wanted to share with us those tasks you want to perform on your computer. If there is some unusual function that is important to you perhaps we can check and see what software is available on the Mac.
Ormond
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on January 20th, 2016, 9:32 am 

Ormond » January 19th, 2016, 5:43 pm wrote:
I think you would have very little trouble learning how to use Macs, and they would provide you with an easy and smooth experience doing all the things you would use a computer for.

Yes, I think this is likely true. Do you have any friends with Macs who would be willing to spend an hour with you on their Mac?

It might help if you wanted to share with us those tasks you want to perform on your computer. If there is some unusual function that is important to you perhaps we can check and see what software is available on the Mac.

I thought this old one had died this morning but it did a disk scan. What disk I have no idea. Just said it scanned File System NTFS. In stage 2 it fixed a lot of orphan files, mostly mail. Back in business.

As for what I use it for: mostly emails and receiving news letters. Reading an occasional article headlined in those newsletters. Looking up answers to questions I'd have looked up in an encyclopedia ages ago. Mostly this forum but an occasional stop at one or two others.

Games? Only solitaire games and those not often. Just as time killers.

That's it. A boring but satisfying life I lead. Thanks much.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on February 16th, 2016, 3:44 am 

What did you end up getting Vivian?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Computers