A Set System

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

A Set System

Postby vivian maxine on January 23rd, 2016, 1:30 pm 

When someone says, about Apple's computers, that they have a "set system", does he mean they created a workable operating system and kept it instead of constantly changing it every other year?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: A Set System

Postby Ormond on January 23rd, 2016, 2:48 pm 

I don't know what "set system" means, but Apple does upgrade it's OS regularly. Not always for the better, imho, but always.

If I understood your previous posts, you use your computer mostly for web and email. If true, you really don't need to worry much about the fine points of computing systems etc. As example, my wife uses a 15 year old Mac for web and email. I keep offering to buy her a later model, and she keeps declining, saying what she has is fine.

If I understand your needs, pretty much any computer you're considering should do the job.
Ormond
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on January 23rd, 2016, 3:05 pm 

It's ok. I just wondered if "set system" in computerese was something fancy. I know what it is in math but couldn't think what it might be in a computer..

I agree with your wife. Once I learn how to use something I want to stick with it and use it. Constant change can be nerve-racking; especially when I have a job to do. My problem here is that the CPU is dying. Several problems with it. So, I will be forced to buy a new one whether or not.

I like Windows 7 which I have now but I'm not going to get it if I upgrade. I liked Windows 95, too. One of the sales people told me that her parents are still using Windows 95. Good for them. I had to give it up because I needed more memory and Dell kept saying it would not take any more memory. Strangely, they also said that about XP but I found someone who disagreed with them and got me more memory. Let me listen to BBC for hours..

Always something, isn't there?

Do you know what I really like? My email machine. If the screen weren't so dark, I'd use it more often. They don't make them any more. Someone is making what they call email machines but they are really just small computers which include internet. Real email machines have nothing except email capability using the telephone line. No hard drive or other paraphernalia.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 23rd, 2016, 3:08 pm 

Yes, and every time you change computers or systems, you have to reload all of your files. That is, if you're replacing by design, not fatal virus, and have saved all your files. Make external backups!
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on January 23rd, 2016, 3:18 pm 

Serpent » January 23rd, 2016, 2:08 pm wrote:Yes, and every time you change computers or systems, you have to reload all of your files. That is, if you're replacing by design, not fatal virus, and have saved all your files. Make external backups!

So true and how do you get a 50/75 pound CPU to the shop to get that done? I've been wondering - and intending to ask them - if taking only the hard drive would suffice? What else in the CPU do they need? I'll find out.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on January 24th, 2016, 12:10 am 

I have no idea. I fold up my laptop, unplug whatever's in the ports, and go. Last time, I was able to bring it home again, with a brand new Bitdefender installed, because our repair guys are pretty swift (Not Staples - they're useless!) The time before, not so lucky.... which is why I now have a nice little portable job.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Natural ChemE on January 24th, 2016, 2:06 am 

Note: Below are my own opinions which aren't necessarily true or represent Apple's opinions, statements, etc.

vivian maxine,

"Set system" isn't really a major term, but they're probably referring to Apple's infamously closed ecosystem (or "closed platform"). Apple takes great pains to ensure that you can't use stuff that they don't approve of. Personally I see Apple as the corporate version of a controlling lover.

Examples:
  1. Apple wants to sell through Apple Stores rather than normal vendors like Best Buy or Walmart. This allows them to control presentation, hedge out competition, control prices, make sure the sales reps tell you only what Apple wants you to hear, etc.
    • Apple intentionally prevents users from performing even simple tasks like changing their cell phone battery.
      • Apple tries to force people to buy their hardware by not allowing Apple software to run on anything else (more below).
      You can't just make a computer and install Apple's operating systems like you can do with other vendors' operating systems (Windows, Linux, etc.). There's no good technical reason that you have to buy the expensive Apple hardware to use their operating system, Mac OS X. In principle, you should be able to buy a normal computer and then install Mac OS X on it, making it a Mac. Such computers do exist, and they're called Hackintoshes (from "hacking" and "Macintosh"). Hackintoshes tend to be cheaper, more powerful, and more customizable than what Apple actually sells.

However Apple bans people from making Hackintoshes:
      SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR OS X EL CAPITAN (PDF), Apple wrote:I. Other Use Restrictions. The grants set forth in this License do not permit you to, and you agree not to, install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so.
      Apple has a history of suing people who do Hackintoshes.

They have three main reasons for this:
      1. They make money off the hardware, not software.
          Apple charges you a lot of money for what you get in terms of hardware. They give away their operating system for free so you'll buy the marked-up computers.
      2. Vendor lock-in.
          Apple doesn't want to let competitors in. Like a clingy romantic partner who doesn't want you to have friends of the opposite sex, they figure that if they keep you from coming into contact with other vendors, you'll stay loyal to them.
      3. Ecosystem control.
          Apple seeks to control most aspects of their devices, from hardware to software, to ensure that Apple products conform to their principles. While this approach limits freedom, diversity, and innovation, I believe that their ecosystem control does serve to help Apple to provide the streamlined experience many of its customers desire.
      Overall, this policy is helps to define what Apple is as a company. Since it's such a major aspect of their identity, computer people often discuss their closed ecoystem - and I guess that's what the person was trying to say with "set system".
      Natural ChemE
      Forum Moderator

Dave_Oblad liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on January 24th, 2016, 8:27 am 

I believe that their ecosystem control does serve to help Apple to provide the streamlined experience many of its customers desire. (Natural ChemE)

***:-) Guilty as charged.

Overall, this policy is helps to define what Apple is as a company. Since it's such a major aspect of their identity, computer people often discuss their closed ecoystem - and I guess that's what the person was trying to say with "set system". (NaturalChemE)

***Makes sense to me. Thank you very much.
      vivian maxine
      Resident Member

Return to Computers