AI wins at world championship Go match

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

AI wins at world championship Go match

Postby rdai on March 10th, 2016, 3:08 pm 

AlphaGo won against world champion Lee Sedol in the second game again :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-GsfyVCBu0
rdai
Forum Neophyte

Re: AI wins at world championship Go match

Postby Natural ChemE on March 12th, 2016, 9:02 am 

rdai,

Neat! Back in Jan. 11, 2012, xkcd had charted Go as the hardest skill-based game for AI to beat humans at; AI long ago surpassed humans at classics like chess.
    Image.
The games below Go on the chart are pretty much all jokes.
  • Snakes and Ladders involves no decisions whatsoever, so a player's chances at winning are entirely random. Since no amount of intelligence will help someone win Snakes and Ladders, humans, AI, insects, pet rocks, etc. will always be on equal footing.
    • Mao is a card game. I just got the link for it, but I don't know the game well enough to comment.
      • Seven minutes in heaven isn't a game so much as a social activity.
        • Calvinball's an imaginary sport from the comic Calvin and Hobbes.
        A "solved" game is one where you prove that moves are exactly correct. For example, some folks know how to never lose at tic-tac-toe, so they've solved that game. Solved games don't require AI so much as a rule-based script - no need for intelligence when the exact answers are available.
        Natural ChemE
        Forum Moderator

Postby Eclogite on March 12th, 2016, 9:41 am 

Those of you familiar with the BBC radio program I'm Sorry I haven't A Clue may share my view that when an AI can play, not win, Mornington Crescent with true aplomb then AIs have finally arrived.
        Eclogite
        Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on March 12th, 2016, 12:13 pm 

I remember reading something interesting a year or so ago about AI and chess. They paired humans and computers to compete against each other.

What you may expect to be the winning combination would be grand masters and the best AI chess programs. The winners actually turned out to be the best AI and averaging chess players.

This does kind of make some sense because an average player would be more likely to guide the AI towards less obvious strategies.

I find it amusing to imagine that our unconscious mind is like a super computer and we are the conscious idiots guiding it into more and more abstract directions.
        BadgerJelly
        Resident Member

Return to Computers