Ctrl symbol

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

Ctrl symbol

Postby vivian maxine on August 16th, 2016, 11:54 am 

Does anyone know if there is a symbol for "Ctrl". If there is and your computer will print it here, could you please? It might be - I'm only guessing - like two infinity symbols crossed into an X shape.

Thanks.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Ctrl symbol

Postby Dave_Oblad on August 16th, 2016, 12:05 pm 

Hi Vivian,

As best as I know, there is no symbol for Ctrl. It performs a similar function as the Alt key to give additional meanings to the natural set of keys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_character

Best to ya,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vivian maxine on August 16th, 2016, 12:19 pm 

Dave_Oblad » August 16th, 2016, 11:05 am wrote:Hi Vivian,

As best as I know, there is no symbol for Ctrl. It performs a similar function as the Alt key to give additional meanings to the natural set of keys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_character

Best to ya,

Thanks, Dave. To explain. At Gmail, there is a Send button at the bottom of a letter going out. Mouse over that and see the character that I described and the word Enter. I am wanting to find out what that character means. A friend has the same button but hers has no character. Instead, it just says "Ctrl Enter".

That is why I thought the character might mean "Ctrl".

Sorry. I had to edit this.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on August 16th, 2016, 12:23 pm 

Hum...

I always identify the Enter key as CrLf. Meaning Carriage Return & Line Feed. A hold over from the Teletype days.
The symbol for that one is usually:

/_____|
\

It is usually on all keyboards as the Enter Key.

Strange.. you need the ENTER key when typing in a text box. But for those without a Mouse an alternate method of sending a finished message makes sense. Defining a Send Button by hovering with a mouse cursor over it... seems weird.

Regards,
Last edited by Dave_Oblad on August 16th, 2016, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby vivian maxine on August 16th, 2016, 12:28 pm 

Dave_Oblad » August 16th, 2016, 11:23 am wrote:Hum...

I always identify the Enter key as CrLf. Meaning Carriage Return & Line Feed. A hold over from the Teletype days.
The symbol for that one is usually:

/_____|
\

It is usually on all keyboards as the Enter Key.

Regards,

True, Dave. It isn't what to do with it. I know it is an alternate way of sending. I just want to know what that symbol is. I have three pages of symbols (characters) here and this one is not on it.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Natural ChemE on August 16th, 2016, 1:38 pm 

vivian maxine,

Most people use Windows, where it's Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

But you use Mac, right? The crossed infinities are probably the Command key. Apparently Mac uses the Command key in places where Windows uses the Ctrl key, e.g. copy is Command+C.

So, I'm guessing that the shortcut for you is Command+Enter.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on August 16th, 2016, 1:57 pm 

Natural ChemE » August 16th, 2016, 12:38 pm wrote:vivian maxine,

Most people use Windows, where it's Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

But you use Mac, right? The crossed infinities are probably the Command key. Apparently Mac uses the Command key in places where Windows uses the Ctrl key, e.g. copy is Command+C.

So, I'm guessing that the shortcut for you is Command+Enter.

Right except that I'm using a Microsoft keyboard with a Mac. Meaning that the "translations" that I get do not work right.

No matter there. You have made me wonder, though, if the symbol says "command" instead of "control". I'll look for that. Thanks.

That's it! Thank you. I found:

Command key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_key
Wikipedia
Jump to Origin of the symbol - The ⌘ symbol came into the Macintosh project at a late stage. ... and Sweden, and the computer key has often been called ...

From there it goes into the history of why Steve Jobs removed the Apple character and used this symbol instead.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Natural ChemE on August 16th, 2016, 2:08 pm 

vivian maxine,

Here's a guide for setting up Mac to use a Windows keyboard:Hah, that's some neat history! It's weird how these little differences evolve.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on August 16th, 2016, 2:33 pm 

OK. I had a reply and it died. Just saying thanks and I am all set up with my MS keyboard and MacMini. It works fine. What doesn't work is the keys for making special symbols. A friend who is also switching found a list but they don't work right. Or, most of them don't. E. g. the e with an acute comes out as something else which I'll not go digging for right now.

I don't make an issue of it since, in American, we seem to get along just fine without those. Manana is still 'tomorrow" with or without the tilde. No problem.

All right. Good to know what that character says.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Computers