microsoft updates without asking

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

microsoft updates without asking

Postby zetreque on August 17th, 2016, 12:12 am 

I always turn off auto updates, and every time you make a change on your computer you have to turn them back off.

So my computer started acting up yesterday. It will freeze for 15-30 seconds, then unfreeze and be normal, then freeze up and repeat.

Trying to figure out what went wrong with it, I looked in my installed programs section in control panel and it has
Microsoft Office 365 proplus that installed yesterday. WTF?
I can't unintsall it. I can't restore my computer and as I type this my computer keeps freezing up.
Do NOT let this update! I ran a virus scanner too just to make sure it's not a virus. Nothing came up.

I'm going to have to spend hours backing up everything and format now to start from scratch.

I had a similar problem on my dad's computer last year. Chrome decided to do an auto update which screwed his internet connection and it took me half a day to figure out what was going on.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: microsoft updates without asking

Postby zetreque on August 17th, 2016, 1:26 am 

I got fed up with it, so I booted command prompt only and deleted the directories that I know of being associated with the program. Now maybe at least I can operate my computer without it freezing up. This Microsoft updating itself without asking be analogous to someone rear ending you and they don't have insurance and you can't sue them?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Dave_Oblad on August 17th, 2016, 2:32 pm 

Hi zetreque,

I agree and its very annoying to put it mildly.

I still use and run an old XP. All my working software works fine. I stopped updates long ago. Occasionally I get a warning that I must update some program, like Java. When I allow it, the installer says I must upgrade my operating system for the Java upgrade to work. It's a conspiracy.

All the good companies (Amazon, You-Tube, Nividia, Google etc) make sure all updates are performed by installers that install the same upgrade compatible with the users Operating System. The rest need to be taught some kind of lesson to stop the madness propagated by Microsoft to keep obsoleting machines and operating systems.

The only good reason for upgrading is for speed, such as speed dependent Video Games, so I've quit buying the newest games that require Windows 10 etc. I don't need Ultra-Realism in my games and Game Makers should get off the Upgrade bandwagon. I want variety and don't need to see my characters sweat. This one-up-man-ship among Game Makers is driving me crazy and I hope they see a major fall in sales due to this unreasonable push.

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)
SciameriKen liked this post

Postby zetreque on August 17th, 2016, 2:54 pm 

I don't know how this MS office updated itself. I definitely had auto updates turned off.

I spent the past 15 hours backing up files. Getting ready for the format. It's been two years since I last reformatted and I have lots of GIS and other software that licenses expired on so it's time to clean up my system anyway.

The thing that worries me is how microsoft usually stops supporting older operating systems. So when re-installing windows you can't download all the service packs and stuff. In the past I was able to download the actual service pack files, but they are harder and harder to locate now. After a fresh install I usually run about 4 rounds of updates before I disable auto updating. I think this time after I get it all updated I am going to try to make a backup image (I think I did this the past two times, but don't remember at what stage I was at when I made the backup image). Then maybe in the future I don't even have to reinstall it all. I can just reinstall the image with all the updates. Especially since I refuse to EVER upgrade to windows 10. The only way I could see myself ever needing a newer OS in the future (once I'm out of college) is if browsing the web becomes impossible, or I get a job for a company that requires some software and I'll just make my job pay for it.

As for games. I'm sick to death of companies (especially Blizzard) making it so you can't even play the game without updating it nearly daily. Not even offline. Then if you have to format and reinstall windows every couple years, it makes it even more of a pain in the butt. I still have a whole bunch of older games that require and older OS to play. Then again, some require an older OS with service packs installed. There are still extremely fun older games that we should be able to play. Especially since I'm sick of spending hours downloading gigabytes worth of updates just to play the newer games. I still have a whole lifetime of older games I have yet to play and will be happy to play through a second time.

It seems to all come back to the same old problem of money and greed. They don't want people stealing the games, so they require the online licensing, and they want you to keep updating so you have to keep buying new products with the excuse (and real issue) of security holes by more jerk hackers.

The price we pay for this technology and it gets costlier every year.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

SciameriKen liked this post

Postby vivian maxine on August 17th, 2016, 3:23 pm 

If I was told rightly, this is part of Microsoft's new updating plan. Automatic whether or not. Let's hope they change their minds and give you an out. Better. Let's hope I was told wrong and there is an out for you to find.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on August 17th, 2016, 3:25 pm 

Hi again,

The main reason I shut off upgrades/updates is becuase my machine would lock up for about 15 seconds about every 2 minutes all day long.

What I discovered is that the computer was checking in with Microsoft for the update (every two minutes) and the upgrade software is not multi-tasking. Meaning it stopped the computer cold while it negotiated with their server and timed out.. to try again in two minutes. This was my work computer and it did this when Microsoft released a critical update but was unable to handle the load of millions of PC's seeking attention at the same time.

Real smooth thinking on part of the programmers at Microsoft. (freakin idiots)

Anyway, I couldn't work under such conditions.. so I shut it off.. while I was at work. If it was doing the same thing next morning, off would go the Auto-Update for the day.

If I turn it back on now days, it immediately tells me I must upgrade my OS, as the updates are not compatible with my XP OS. Screw them and the horse they rode in on.

Best wishes,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on August 17th, 2016, 4:03 pm 

Dave_Oblad » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:25 pm wrote:Hi again,

The main reason I shut off upgrades/updates is becuase my machine would lock up for about 15 seconds about every 2 minutes all day long.

sounds similar to what is going on with my machine but more often than every 2 minutes. It seems to be some service that was installed that I can't locate. I don't have any updating enabled. It does seem to be some internet related issue because when I boot up and go about normal business I'm fine until I load some internet related program. Which was the case just now when loading my browsers to backup my bookmarks.

It's almost as if something initiates adobe flash player or javascript and that's when all the freezing starts happening but I can't be sure. It has often just saved me time just reinstalling windows than trying to track down problems.

I have had to pull the plug so many times the past two days that now my power cord socket is loose and unless I have a battery in I lose power easilly!! GRRRR
Looks like I will have to take the computer apart again to see if something came unsoldered or I can bend a contact, otherwise I might have to buy a replacement socket now.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on August 17th, 2016, 4:28 pm 

So, I was told right? You can shut it off but it turns itself back on when you re-boot? Not that I need to know. Just want to be sure I'm not saying things that are not fact. Thanks and good luck.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on August 17th, 2016, 4:41 pm 

I doubled checked. All updates are turned off and yet when I reboot now without even doing anything on my computer it says "configuring" so it's definitely trying to install updates even though I have them disabled.
Maybe I did something when I was using MS excel the day this happened.

I was also looking back at my previous install notes and the last time I formatted, when I installed MS office, I had to go in and turn off the auto updates again. So now MS office doesn't even care if your updates are turned off apparently. It just does whatever it wants.
I owned MS Office 2010 and last year in college I accidentally hit accept for a free upgrade to Office 2013 (which was far worse, took twice as many clicks to perform operations), and I'm assuming it was Office 2013 that decided it wanted to give me the free upgrade to this 2016 version which as I said, looks like it never fully installed and I couldn't uninstall. When MS Office 360 calls itself "Integrated" it wasn't kidding.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Dave_Oblad on August 17th, 2016, 6:05 pm 

Hi again,

Sometimes it works to do a Ctrl/Alt/Del (simultaneously) to bring up the Task Manager and watch which programs are chewing up all the CPU cycles. Then a Google might identify the culprit by program name and/or search for others with the same issues and perhaps get a clue what technique best kills/corrects the offending behavior.

Regards,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on August 17th, 2016, 6:14 pm 

Thanks Dave. I do that all the time. Nothing is showing up and I try to keep track of the "services" too but nothing is standing out.

Even ctrl alt del procedure doesn't work during the 15-20 seconds of being frozen.

Still organizing my backup files right now and getting ready to play with image restore to see how well that works.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Dave_Oblad on August 17th, 2016, 6:20 pm 

Hi,

If the Task Manager is active just prior to a lockup, does it also lock up during freeze? Does the mouse still update position on the screen during a freeze? I ask because this sounds like an error in the sleep mode. If a PC is set up to sleep during non-use, it kills most functions to reduce power, just leaving an interrupt tied to keyboard/mouse output to re-awaken the CPU.

Regards,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on August 18th, 2016, 2:04 pm 

Success! Aside from the loose power cord (which I haven't investigated yet) it's as if I have a brand new computer!

I can't get windows to find any updates though, but apparently I am not the only one. Several forums state that it may take up to a month for the function to work now. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... da5?auth=1

Sorry Dave, I was unable to check for that. I assume it wasn't trying to sleep or anything because I had already adjusted all those power settings when I was doing backups.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on August 20th, 2016, 4:07 pm 

For future readers.
I found what is called a Service Pack Rollup
My version of windows came with SP1 already implemented so I found what would normally be called SP2 but it's called a "rollup". Windows is now offering this type of service pack which will save you hours of updating, installing, and rebooting.

Of course installing that wasn't so easy either. Apparently windows update has become extremely bad. Both the built in, and installing manually.

There is a service... (can't remember the name of it now) that you have to end task and stop the service, then try to install again. and you keep doing that until it finally installs. Otherwise you will be sitting there for days, weeks, months waiting on it to run because it just hangs. It's a faulty service in windows and out of several forums I read, one of the only fixes this one guy found was installing a combination of two specific updates (depending on your version of windows that is)

The Rollup pack features all the security dates up through (april on the one I got). You can google and figure out exactly which updates are included in the rollup, but installing the rollup you can't uninstall specific ones because when you look at which updates are installed in your history, it just shows the rollup package.

The good news is. I read a few posts by people fearing and a couple claiming that the rollup package included updates that give you this dreaded "upgrade to windows 10" notice that popups up constantly. I've been a couple days now and I have not had any such popup.

So a fresh install of windows. Then I just installed a rollup package. The support page for the rollup package also suggests additional updates you could do. And I am done!

As for my power jack. I purchased a new one for 1$ off ebay. Watching a couple youtube videos I will have to dismantle my entire laptop to get the bare motherboard to solder in the new jack. So hopefully I can do that without fault and then I will be like a brand new computer! If ebay posts are accurate, hundreds of people have bought these power jacks, so it must be pretty common for them to go out and people to replace them (especially if there are multiple videos on youtube showing how too).

Oh, also after the rollup was installed. I backed up an image of my C drive. Maybe in the future it will be easier or faster to just do that instead. Right now it took about 2 hours for fresh windows install, and another ~2 hours of the rollup install.

Problem with the image backup is it lets me backup an image to an external usb drive, but when I try to install the image it won't let me find or load drivers to an external drive, so I must have it on my second partition apparently.

The final bad thing is. What started all this (microsoft office 360). When I upgraded from the office 2010 that I own to 2013 for free through my school, I didn't realize excel had a lot better graphing features. I use excel a lot and now I am missing a lot of graphing features and I'm afraid to do my free upgrade option to excel 360 2016. I am currently looking to see if it's possible to use my free school upgrade and just get excel 2013 or risk trying to upgrade just excel to 2016. OR find a whole other program for graphing after doing excel calculations but that would be a pain to move back and forth.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on August 28th, 2016, 9:35 pm 

Just a follow up that I fixed the power jack if anyone is interested :)

The rear positive pin was cracked and I just soldered it. I bought a whole new jack for 1$ but lucky didn't have to use it which would have entailed unsoldering all 5 pins.
See how close it is to the heat sink fan? One theory is that all the heating and cooling over time makes the pins brittle and crack/snap.
Pictures are after I fixed it.
vlcsnap-2016-08-28-18h27m36s250.jpg

vlcsnap-2016-08-28-18h29m12s24.jpg
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Computers