Conway GOL

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

Conway GOL

Postby hyksos on December 27th, 2016, 8:22 pm 

Post anything about Cellular Automata in this thread, even if it is not Conway GOL rules. All replies are welcome, as long as they are about CA.
hyksos

Natural ChemE liked this post

Re: Conway GOL

Postby hyksos on December 27th, 2016, 8:25 pm 

A spaceship called "copperhead" was found in March of this year.

https://niginsblog.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... e-of-life/

Here is a copperhead gun. They are produced at the middle top section and leave the area going up.

hyksos

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 27th, 2016, 9:02 pm 

Hi Hyksos,

Wow, neat Spaceships, most are not so symmetrical (but easier to generate).

For general enjoyment.. here is a fun display of various Growing Geometries:

Funny how so many of these start out Square and become Circular.

And for those that prefer something more organic looking:

This is called Smooth-Life.

It allows floating point Math instead of just Positive Integers. We get Gliders that can go in any direction. I wonder if such can be mixed together, such that Hard Life can be used for computations in Smooth Life? (Life within Life)

Or we have Fluid Dynamics:

Not sure the above qualifies as CA, I mean.. it is Cellular and an Automaton, but it cheats with C++ Code and synth Gravity.

Hyksos: if the one just above is outside your definition of CA.. feel free to have a Mod remove it. I like it, but the cheats may disqualify it. So feel free to dump it.

Just too much fun...

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)
Natural ChemE liked this post

Postby hyksos on December 28th, 2016, 12:01 am 

All great stuff. CA literature been built up over 40 years now. They have their own forums, and they speak their own lingo today. I'm still getting squared away with the differences between a "space ship" and a "puffer train".

I gained a special interest in the rule B367/S23 although it is likely not Turing Complete.

In the last week, I have become obsessed with 2D 8-neighbor 4-state rules. I have settled on the state names as Q=quiescent (black) R=red G=green B=blue. Some factoids about these grids :

The total number of 5x5 patterns is 425 = 1,125,899,906,842,624
One of which is :
fourstateca.png

The central cell would invoke the transition rule associated with (6T,2R,3G,1B).
Demanding symmetry by sums, the total number of patterns of neighbors which can be uniquely identified is 165.

For the morbid, here is all of them : http://dark-code.bulix.org/j7gjy8-107626

The rule sets become too large for human tinkering and must be mined using automatic software. Some die-hards from CA orthodoxy complain that I should not investigate such large rules, because it violates the Church doctrine of simple rules leading to great complexity. But I don't care. I have nefarious plans for these systems up my sleeve.
hyksos

Postby hyksos on December 28th, 2016, 12:06 am 

Regarding smooth life, Tim Hutton has made animations of some continuous CA in 3D. Same guy! https://www.youtube.com/user/ferkeltongs/videos
hyksos

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 28th, 2016, 4:02 am 

Hi all,

MY suggestion for using Life to compute higher Life can be demonstrated. This grid is computed using standard 8/4 GOL logic. Within the large Grid is a set of simple Spaceships going left.

This is Life within Life:

For you newbies out there, Life doesn't use Math. It actually uses Logic. Some Engineers have built a super fast Life Sim using hardware Nand Gates only. Nand gates are the ultimate building block. With just simple Nand Gates only, one could build an entire modern computer.

See, one of Einstein's famous Quotes is: God doesn't play Dice with the Universe (translated).
That's Hard Determinism like Life.

Well, he could have also added: God doesn't use Floating Point Math.

That statement would also have equally deep meaning. So where am I going with this? A floating point calculator can be modeled in Standard Life. If one such single Module is used to support a higher level single Grid.. then Smooth Life could be supported using Standard Life only. That's kinda complex and Unnatural but still doable

The issue with 2D Life is that it only has 2 Dimensions and just 2 slices of Time. If one extends the Dimensions, then with the right Rule Set regarding Neighbors and their Neighbors etc, it's conceivable that a Life Sim could employ limited floating point Math in a Natural way.. making Smooth Life a simple (sort of) option that employs Logic Only. Thus.. one doesn't need Life within Life.. just greater freedom in Dimensions and Depth (Time).

Just a minor observation.

Regards,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby hyksos on December 28th, 2016, 3:15 pm 

The life within life. People were always aware that it was possible -- in theory -- to do this. Then someone came along who was bored and crazy enough to actually do it.

The Conway Rule, could, in turn, realize/emulate any other rule one could think of. It's eerie.

B378/S2378 was recently proven to be Turing Complete. I like it more than Conway because it tends to not die out.
hyksos

Postby eagle on May 5th, 2017, 12:12 am 

Thank you for sharing the beautiful videos.

What about the opposite, discrete Life in smooth Life?
eagle
Forum Neophyte

Postby Dave_Oblad on May 5th, 2017, 12:03 pm 

Hi Eagle,

Welcome to the Forums.

What do you define as Discrete Life? Do you mean "Real living Life" or stepping back to the limited progressions seen in Conway's Life?

I postulated over 5 years ago that "Living Life" could have evolved within the Quantum long before Matter emerged within our Universe.

Regards,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

eagle liked this post

Postby eagle on May 5th, 2017, 12:50 pm 

Dave,
Thank you! :)
In this context I meant what you call "stepping back to the limited progressions seen in Conway's Life" as Discrete Life.
How do you think that "Living Life" could have evolved within the Quantum before Matter?
Eagle
eagle
Forum Neophyte

Postby Dave_Oblad on May 5th, 2017, 12:59 pm 

Hi Eagle,

Eagle wrote:How do you think that "Living Life" could have evolved within the Quantum before Matter?

I have to get back to you later on that subject, my student is due to arrive shortly (I'm tutoring him).

Later..

Regards,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Return to Computers