QBits

Discussions on everything related to the software, electronic, and mechanical components of information systems and instruments.

QBits

Postby Event Horizon on March 14th, 2018, 5:15 am 

A while ago, there was a lot of talk about QBits, which was going to be the way quantum computers encoded information. But for ages I've heard nobody talking about them. Are they still part of computing future, or has the idea fallen from grace?
Event Horizon

Re: QBits

Postby BadgerJelly on March 14th, 2018, 5:46 am 

Last I heard, looked a few months back, it was all still very much in its infancy and many companies were still trying to figure out how to make practical use of this idea.

Once/if it is perfected the whole world will change. It will be monumental. No doubt nation will only really exist if your "nation" has a Quantum computer. Everyone else will be unable to compete most likely (levels of security, control of banks, and such, will fall into the hands of such operating systems.)

Then there is the whole issue of AI and the beginnings of abstract ideas of disembodied "consciousness."
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Event Horizon on March 14th, 2018, 6:04 am 

AI is now being used by the military to help them find terrorists. It's going to be programmed into drones so they can go find a target, identify it, and if it doesn't like it it xpect to be attacked.

AI research is going on everywhere. Once, the holy grail was edge detection.

How much nearer are we to getting Qcomputers, are there any working prototypes yet?
Event Horizon

Postby Braininvat on March 14th, 2018, 10:03 am 

Last I heard Seth Lloyd was working on this at MIT. Worth googling perhaps.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on March 14th, 2018, 10:57 am 

I think once they get to 32 or 64 Qbits that would surpass the most powerful computer today. There are some computers that use "partial" Qbits and claim to have more than 64 Qbits; but they're pseudo-Qbits.

I think the best they had when I last looked was 4 or 8 Qbits, and even that was not an entirely transparent claim.

When national banks start being emptied we'll know someone somewhere has cracked it ! Haha! (joke btw. It is going to be slow and steady progress so they'll have time to guard against this.)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Event Horizon on April 29th, 2018, 3:02 pm 

If we managed to advance the tech in the same way current processors are progressed, and we marry the processing power of say a 64 or 128 Qbit computer with AI, would that render the machine an almost God-like entity?

How much power that we endow such machines with is too much power? Will we even be able to discern what such a machine is even doing?

In the film A Space Odyssey by Stanley Kubrick Hal, the spacecrafts' computer ignored the 3 laws of robotics (see Asimov) and killed the crew. I wonder if we will have the capacity to reason with the Q/AI computer if it starts behaving badly?
I also wonder how well they will function in high radiation environments, would random photons be a big problem?
Event Horizon

Postby mitchellmckain on April 29th, 2018, 10:48 pm 

It seems to me that if we are just talking about computing power the most we can expect from this is twice as much information storage in a qbit over the bit. Depending on what it takes to implement these qbits it could be effectively far less that what we already have. What is more interesting for me is the use of quantum algorithms and the possibility of running simulations which incorporate real quantum physics. On the troublesome side, is the ability to use Shor's quantum algorithm to break the system of encryption we now use. I do wonder, though, if quantum computing will enable us to cross from programmed AI to self-organizing machine life.
mitchellmckain

Return to Computers