How do I go from micrograms/microlitres to nanograms/mililit

Discussions on topics related to biochemistry and molecular biology, functional genomics, etc.

How do I go from micrograms/microlitres to nanograms/mililit

Postby Sophs012 on May 18th, 2015, 10:43 am 

When I first started my project, I got told that if I added 5 microlitres of gmcsf which was in solution of 1microgram/microlitre to 1ml of media/cells it equated to 5ng/ml because if you times-d up the volume, you times-d down the wieght. Now I am check my calculations, and asked around, everyone has said that it's 5ng/microlitre, which is quite off. I'm completely confused. Any help?
Sophs012
Forum Neophyte

Re: How do I go from micrograms/microlitres to nanograms/mil

Postby SciameriKen on May 18th, 2015, 3:44 pm 

To calculate your final concentration - divide added volume by final volume then multiply by your stock solution...

in this case - 5 uL or 5 X 10^-3 ml / 1 ml * 1 ug/uL = 0.005 ug/uL or 5 ng/uL
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Re: How do I go from micrograms/microlitres to nanograms/mil

Postby BioWizard on May 18th, 2015, 7:54 pm 

A very simple way to think about this with minimal math. You had a solution that is 1 microgram/microliter. Meaning your solution has 1 microgram of solute in every microliter. You took 5 microliters of that, so there's a total of 5 micrograms of solute in there. You put that in 1 ml. So now you have that quantity of solute, 5 micrograms, in 1 ml of solution. That's 5 micrograms/ml, which is equivalent to 5 ng/ul.

Going to your statement, you increased the volume by 200, so you decreased the original CONCENTRATION (not the weight/mass) by 200. Your original concentration was 1 microgram/microliter, so your new concentration is 1/200 micrograms/microliters which is equal to 5 ng/microliter.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Biochemistry