DIY GMO - amateur genetic engineering

Discussions on topics related to biochemistry and molecular biology, functional genomics, etc.

Re: DIY GMO - amateur genetic engineering

Postby vivian maxine on November 5th, 2015, 12:51 pm 

And it left a good feeling for both of you. We get things from Europe and Asia (beetles?) that we wish we hadn't. But we also get beautiful things that out-survive our own species (the Japanese elm).

You are right about the willful cutting down of plants, sometimes for the only reason that they aren't liked. Missouri is a beautiful tree-covered state. But, let the developers come in and watch out.

All that said, I cannot imagine cutting down wisteria. I didn't know they were invasive. I'll have to read about that. No surprise, though. Our new property owners cut down some trees because the leaves fell into the swimming pool and were a nuisance to clean out. Others they cut down because the leaves fell into the roof gutters. I suppose they never heard how trees keep the environment cooler.

Ah well. Life goes on.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby tantric on February 21st, 2016, 10:08 pm 

Could scientists create dragons using CRISPR gene editing?

Debate has raged over whether CRISPR, which occurs as part of a bacterial process, could be safely and ethically used on humans since 2012.

But professors Greely and Charo argue its potential to produce "CRISPR critters" is "likely to be overlooked" by legislators and regulators "because they are unexpected".

The method is "cheaper and easier" than older forms of genetic engineering and can be done "outside the traditional laboratory setting".

Their essay looks at the possible uses of CRISPR for de-extinction of wild species - such as 700,000-year-old horses - for domestic de-extinction - such as tomato species - and for making creatures of "personal whim".
tantric

Postby SciameriKen on February 22nd, 2016, 9:05 pm 

I don't know what DNA source you have for fire breathing dragons - but you can certainly make an acid spitting one
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby tantric on February 26th, 2016, 4:19 pm 

My point was that leaving genetic engineering in the hands of scientists who have ethics and understand the risks might not be such a good idea after all. All I wanted were glow in the dark fish - a woolly mammoth would be a bit much for my garage.
tantric

Previous

Return to Biochemistry