from genome to organism - how much computational power?

Discussions on topics related to biochemistry and molecular biology, functional genomics, etc.

from genome to organism - how much computational power?

Postby tantric on August 7th, 2016, 5:31 pm 

i'm a fan of RPGs and frequent forums devoted to them. one game in particular. GURPS Transhuman Space, generates some interesting threads. in reading them, i've noticed a few things. first - there is a common perception that it is possible to take a genome, being a text file, run it through a computer and extrapolate what kind of organism it might give rise to. i'm not talking about matching bits with other known genomes, but actually 'reading the code'. in this forum, a person i know to be well educated, bluntly assumed that current computers can do this.

it's probably because of the 'blueprint of life' nonsense. that's a terrible metaphor for DNA, but it's how most people look at it. a new metaphor would be nice....something about each gene being a builder with a skill, only interested in his own survival. anyway.

as i understand it, the SOTA in this field allows for predicting protein structures. how long until we can design our own proteins/enzymes? *that's* nanotechnology. i can't imagine computing power to actually 'read the code'. not with our current technology. quantum computers?
tantric

Re: from genome to organism - how much computational power?

Postby BioWizard on August 13th, 2016, 10:54 pm 

I don't know what it will take (and certainly it's not just computing power we lack), but I can tell you what I think of most of the current genomics studies, including those endlessly hyped in personalized medicine. Not much.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Biochemistry