Is there better or fun way to learn or understand Statistics

Discussions concerned with knowledge of measurement, properties, and relations quantities, theoretical or applied.

Is there better or fun way to learn or understand Statistics

Postby Biosapien on March 4th, 2019, 6:57 am 

Hi Everyone,

Could some explain on what is the best possible way to learn and understand statistics, because no matter how many times I learn, I couldn't follow the fundamentals or why we do that in first place. Thank you.
Biosapien

Re: Is there better or fun way to learn or understand Statis

Postby Serpent on March 4th, 2019, 5:00 pm 

Watch a tv series from 2005 called NUMB3RS.
They talk about all kinds of mumbo-jumbo and different mathematical concepts do come into it, but the basic point is to figure out what's most likely to happen next from the data provided by what happened before, compared the recorded averages of similar events.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Reg_Prescott on March 4th, 2019, 11:46 pm 

Biosapien » March 4th, 2019, 7:57 pm wrote:Hi Everyone,

Could some explain on what is the best possible way to learn and understand statistics, because no matter how many times I learn, I couldn't follow the fundamentals or why we do that in first place. Thank you.

Are you familiar with a company called "The Great Courses"? (I think they were previously known as "The Teaching Company").

http://www.teach12.com

They offer a wide range of lecture series, including (at least) one on statistics, many of which are taught by leading experts in the field.

My own personal faves: their superb 36-lecture course on the Philosophy of Science, and anything presented by Daniel N. Robinson.

Not cheap, but there may be ways of acquiring the goodies without coughing up an arm and a leg. Er, a friend told me.
Reg_Prescott

Postby BadgerJelly on March 5th, 2019, 1:40 am 

khanacademy is free
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Biosapien on March 5th, 2019, 3:32 am 

Thank you all for sharing the source of e-learning.
Biosapien

Postby Scott Mayers on March 12th, 2019, 1:15 am 

Serpent » March 4th, 2019, 4:00 pm wrote:Watch a tv series from 2005 called NUMB3RS.
They talk about all kinds of mumbo-jumbo and different mathematical concepts do come into it, but the basic point is to figure out what's most likely to happen next from the data provided by what happened before, compared the recorded averages of similar events.

I didn't like this for how it mystified statistics rather than clarify it. In a similar way, I didn't like the series CSI for its free licence to oversell the capacity of technology....like how some fuzzy picture could be re-rendered from a distinctive blur into perfect clarity. So I wouldn't recommend this to learn what statistics is about.
Scott Mayers

Postby Scott Mayers on March 12th, 2019, 1:23 am 

Biosapien » March 5th, 2019, 2:32 am wrote:Thank you all for sharing the source of e-learning.

Statistics are more often abused then used appropriately by even relatively 'good' science. It's effectiveness for the hard sciences are better but also can falsely mislead people into a faulty INTERPRETATION of some theory, ...most especially quantum mechanics, for instance. But if one is good at it, one can sometimes catch interesting flaws that can make you be able to take advantage of "the systems", such as for many games of chance.
Scott Mayers

Postby Serpent on March 12th, 2019, 6:18 pm 

Scott Mayers » March 12th, 2019, 12:15 am wrote:I didn't like this for how it mystified statistics rather than clarify it. In a similar way, I didn't like the series CSI for its free licence to oversell the capacity of technology....like how some fuzzy picture could be re-rendered from a distinctive blur into perfect clarity. So I wouldn't recommend this to learn what statistics is about.

I thought he wanted to know what statistics is used for; what good it is, and wanted it to be fun.
Oh-wehl.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Mathematics