Bayes Theorem

Discussions concerned with knowledge of measurement, properties, and relations quantities, theoretical or applied.

Bayes Theorem

Postby Biosapien on August 4th, 2016, 4:10 am 

Hi guys

Does any body have a simple material or a link which describes the Bayes Theorem as simple as possible. Thank you
Biosapien

Re: Bayer's Theorem

Postby vivian maxine on August 4th, 2016, 9:01 am 

Biosapien » August 4th, 2016, 3:10 am wrote:Hi guys

Does any body have a simple material or a link which describes the Bayer's Theorem as simple as possible. Thank you

Did you mean Bayer's Theorem or Bayes's Theorem? One of my "simple" books has Bayes's Theory. Let me know if you want to hear more. Viv
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on August 4th, 2016, 9:47 am 

https://betterexplained.com/articles/an ... s-theorem/

Biosap: this is a simple explanation of Bayes theorem. Uses a clear example. This will relate to the other thread where you were asking about statistical dependence, I imagine.

(Moderator note: Bayer's typo corrected in OP)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Sivad liked this post

Postby neuro on August 4th, 2016, 9:57 am 

I imagine you are referring to Bayes' theorem.

You can look at a reasonably easy explanation on Wikipedia.

The idea is that a variable might be "correlated" with another. I.e. they are not INDEPENDENT. For example, the tallness and body weight of high school students (it is obvious that the taller one is, the more they are likely to weight).

Assume the probability of weighting between 65-70 kg is 50% among our students.
The probability of weighting between 65-70 kg - given you are more than 185 cm tall - will not presumably be 50% any more: most of the students taller than 185 cm will also weight more than 70 kg.

So, assume the probability of weighting between 65-70 kg, given you are >185 cm tall, is 30%.
What is then the probability of both weighting 65-70 kg and being >185 cm tall?

Assume 10% of the students are >185cm. We said that 30% of them will weight between 65-70 kg.
Then the probability of both events will be: 10% x 30%, 0.1x0.3 = 0.03 = 3%.
Notice that this differs from the simple product of the two probabilities (50% probability of weighting between 65-70 kg) x (10% probability of being >185 cm tall) = 0.05 = 5%. This would be the probability of both events IF weight and tallness were INDEPENDENT. Bu they are not.

So we got:
probability of W (weight between 65-70 kg) AND H (>185 cm tall) = 3% = probability of H x probability of W GIVEN H.

But, quite obviously, the probability of W AND H also = probability of H given W.

This, may seem trivial and useless, but it is not so, absolutely.

Get a blood test for a disease. You turn out positive.
What is the probability that you actually have the disease?
In order to tell it, you will have to know that the disease has a prevalence of 0.1% (it affects 1:1000 of the population), and that the test is positive in 90% of the affected subjects, whereas it is positive in 10% of the unaffected people (false positives).
Overall, you can deduce that the probability of getting a positive result, p(+), equals 90% x 0.1% + 10% x 99%
(i.e. 90% of the diseased people + 10% of the unaffected people) = 0.0009+0.099 = 0.0999 = 10%.
Out of 1000 people, 0.9 will be diseased and have a positive test; 99 will have a positive test but will not be affected.

The probability of being affected (D) AND getting a positive result (+) is:
p(D) x p(+ given D) = 1% x 90% = 9% = 0.09.

This must also be equal to p(+) x p(D given +).

So the probability that you are affected, given you have a positive test is:
p(D given +) = p(D) x p(+ given D) / p(+) = 0.1% x 90% / 10.8% = 0.0083 < 1%.

So, before writing your own last will, undergoing surgery or starting chemotherapy, it would be better if you got some more tests. because up to now you only have a 1% probability of being affected...

Good old Bayes...
neuro
Forum Moderator

Re: Bayes Theorem

Postby Biosapien on August 5th, 2016, 12:44 am 

Hi neuro, thank you for describing the Bayes Theroem in a way which i really can able to understand. By having a clear vision on this, now i can read further on probability.
Biosapien

Postby hyksos on May 15th, 2017, 3:09 am 

hyksos

RoccoR liked this post

Postby richardsalvo on July 13th, 2017, 10:21 am 

I love solving probability theory and statistics during college days.
richardsalvo
Forum Neophyte

Postby RoccoR on July 14th, 2017, 10:15 am 

※→ et al,
[SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC]

It is extraordinary that people like Thomas Bayes had the capacity to envision, experiment and deduce these useful relationships.

But it is also just as extraordinary that someone might go through Bayes' papers and recognize something of value. There are actually two stories here. One of discovery (Bayes), and one of the discovery of the discovery (Bayes' Friends). What are the chances of that (asked the Elemental)?

How do you recognize genius?

Most Respectfully,
R
RoccoR

Return to Mathematics