Short tutorial on time

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

Re: Short tutorial on time

Postby Clory on November 12th, 2016, 10:33 am 

Is it logical to believe into time theory that doesn't correlate whit recent year study and quantum discoveries? Science theory changes so fast that is hard concretely believe in one theory.
Clory
Forum Neophyte

Postby Brent696 on July 12th, 2018, 10:39 pm 

Marshall,
Ok this is my first stab at the software on this forum so if I flub this, I guess I'll figure it out.

Time, I'm going to approach this philosophically so try to respond as if you are speaking to your 12 year old daughter.

Time, assuming it is integral with the universe itself, suggests that the Universe, past, present, and future, could be happening all at once.

Our experience, is as if we are static, and time and the Universe is flowing past us.

But, if a man stays on Earth while another travels from fast in space an then returns, and the two have not aged at the same rate.

Then perhaps the Universe is a static whole, and it is merely our consciousness, as it is depending upon time for its very awareness, one point of locality (consciousness) always moving forward in order to experience it's own awareness, that is connected with time and not the Universe.

Thus the Creation of the Universe is merely the Creation of my consciousness of it, and without my awareness, nothing really exists. Therefore if a tree falls in the forest and there is no one there to hear it, it does not fall.

brent
Brent696

Postby Braininvat on July 13th, 2018, 8:53 am 

You're doing fine. I should note (sadly) that Marshall passed away a couple years ago. And it appears this thread went dormant after that. Your view seems similar to the block universe one, where we are dropping the needle down on a record in one spot and then "playing" a segment of a static universe that already exists in its entirety.

(I believe I saw you over at Delphi. If you are that Brent, thanks for dropping by. Here, I recommend the search function, given the number of threads we have. The philosophy side, PCF, may also be of interest.)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Brent696 on July 13th, 2018, 10:06 am 

>>>>>I believe I saw you over at Delphi. If you are that Brent.<<<<<

Sorry to hear about Marshall, I used to do Delphi 15 years ago but any useful conversation there seems to have disappeared with the advent of the cell phones I guess. And yes, same brent
Brent696

Previous

Return to Physics