Entanglement Theory Query

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

Re: Entanglement Theory Query

Postby dandelion on October 3rd, 2018, 3:07 pm 

Sorry, things became busy and I haven’t had the time I’d like to think about this nor will for a while further but have wanted to write something in the meantime. I’ve just focused on areas surrounding notions I like although confusing for me, but which seem suited to some questions, and I like seeing some other, thoughtful ones presented well. Even so, I’m not very sure of objections if there. I don’t have any desire to dispute accuracy, it all seems amazingly good. I haven’t read his books. I was thinking more about a range of formulation and think objections might have been just about paths. But even re that, if a description involves averaging of quantities with cancelling out, reinforcing, anomalies, following classical action histories with different times and discretised, bounded etc., isn’t it looking a bit like more likely coinciding changes, looking at it differently, and used with other techniques like stats in renormalisation and such?

On the argument related to recent thought experiments, if there were other explanations besides temporal ones perhaps they could potentially have similar or different implications. Does the latest possible no-go version differ much to previous ones and responses, for as for those some less many worldly interpretations accept distinct observers may have different accounts of the same sequence of events, like G-R?
dandelion

Postby dandelion on October 7th, 2018, 2:28 pm 

Just more on paths, obviously they are considered in various interpretations, and for one example I think Fay Dowker seems to emphasise them, or for another example, one of those interpretations is favoured by Gell-Mann, and discussed a bit in that context here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-7VOAVJjt0 .
dandelion

Postby hyksos on October 8th, 2018, 3:16 am 

dandelion » October 7th, 2018, 10:28 pm wrote:Just more on paths, obviously they are considered in various interpretations, and for one example I think Fay Dowker seems to emphasise them, or for another example, one of those interpretations is favoured by Gell-Mann, and discussed a bit in that context here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-7VOAVJjt0 .

This is the best video I think I've seen all year.
hyksos

Postby dandelion on October 8th, 2018, 11:41 am 

Thanks. The post didn’t follow as much form previous discussion in this thread as considering some wider questions. I’d listened to a longer version and didn’t want to suggest anything too long so found a part and then realised later it didn’t contain as much as I’d hoped, but very pleased you liked it as it touches on some of the sorts of thoughts I’ve found helpful too.
dandelion

Re: Sum one (1) to love.

Postby Faradave on October 8th, 2018, 1:06 pm 

"Sum over histories" is the same as "sum over paths", allowing for propagation time. Either way, it's important to recall that these are not classical paths in that they are probabilistically "dim", as I explained to DragonFly in another post.

We're never simply adding multiple paths. We're instead scraping together (reassembling) a single path that was "smeared" into a field. The single path that is ultimately measured arises from its former existence as a single path in instantaneous superposition. The "sum" never exceeds 1, i.e. 100% of a classical path.
Faradave

Re: Sum one (1) to love.

Postby hyksos on October 11th, 2018, 12:25 pm 

Faradave » October 8th, 2018, 9:06 pm wrote:"Sum over histories" is the same as "sum over paths", allowing for propagation time. Either way, it's important to recall that these are not classical paths in that they are probabilistically "dim", as I explained to DragonFly in another post.

We're never simply adding multiple paths. We're instead scraping together (reassembling) a single path that was "smeared" into a field. The single path that is ultimately measured arises from its former existence as a single path in instantaneous superposition. The "sum" never exceeds 1, i.e. 100% of a classical path.

(I hate to be the self-appointed defender of the orthodoxy here but..)

Regarding this smearing issue. It turns out that there is a dimness factor applied to the outside-the-classical paths included in the path integral. The textbook will not call this "dimming" they usually call it weighting. So each path is weighted by its deviation from the Principle of Least Action.

If you are ever thumbing through a textbook (, or maybe wikipedia if you're unadventurous,) you might catch the phrase "each path is weighted by the action" , or a near variation of that. The end result of all this chicanery is that the path of the particle that is closest to a classical trajectory contributes more to the prediction than bizarre un-classical paths do.
hyksos

dandelion liked this post

Re: SMoPP on Top

Postby Faradave on October 11th, 2018, 11:34 pm 

hyksos wrote:I hate to be the self-appointed defender of the orthodoxy

That's fine. My intention is to explain what the Standard Model so accurately describes. There's should be no conflict.
Faradave

Postby Event Horizon on October 20th, 2018, 8:26 pm 

My main problem with the many worlds theory is that there is no apparent basis for it in reality. There is very little by way of proof to suggest it is an operational reality. I think it is important we can resolve this defininatively somehow.
Event Horizon

Previous

Return to Physics