Thermal Masses for heating efficiency

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

Re: Thermal Masses for heating efficiency

Postby wolfhnd on November 3rd, 2015, 1:54 am 

zetreque » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:18 am wrote:open system will have evaporation and humidity problems though.

For me humidity is a plus in winter but I agree that the same kind of noxious chemicals needed to keep a hot tub bacteria and fungal free may be needed. I think we need to visit some indoor pools in winter and see what the mold problems are.

Your closed system will need to suppress algae and mold as well unless you use something other than water which has some obvious disadvantages. Algae on glass will significantly reduce absorption of solar heat.
wolfhnd

Postby wolfhnd on November 4th, 2015, 1:38 am 

wolfhnd

Postby zetreque on November 4th, 2015, 1:51 am 

Every site I have read says that it can't be used as the main source of heat. I'd like to prove that wrong and be able to figure out what it would take to overstore heat and release it controlled without much mechanical. My main thoughts at the moment are about room air conductivity.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby wolfhnd on November 4th, 2015, 6:25 am 

zetreque » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:51 am wrote:Every site I have read says that it can't be used as the main source of heat. I'd like to prove that wrong and be able to figure out what it would take to overstore heat and release it controlled without much mechanical. My main thoughts at the moment are about room air conductivity.

I just don't want you to ignore the aesthetics to get a perfectly working physical model as many engineers may be inclined to do.
wolfhnd

Postby vivian maxine on November 4th, 2015, 7:26 am 

Didn't the Romans use this method? Didn't they run hot water through pipes under the floors? Why do you suppose the practice came to an end?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on November 5th, 2015, 1:23 am 

vivian maxine » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:26 am wrote:Didn't the Romans use this method? Didn't they run hot water through pipes under the floors? Why do you suppose the practice came to an end?

Fuel efficency
wolfhnd

Postby vivian maxine on November 5th, 2015, 8:31 am 

wolfhnd » November 5th, 2015, 12:23 am wrote:
vivian maxine » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:26 am wrote:Didn't the Romans use this method? Didn't they run hot water through pipes under the floors? Why do you suppose the practice came to an end?

Fuel efficency

No doubt. We'd have quite a water bill now. I don't know what went on between times but we did end up with steam heat for a while. That sounds easier and maybe a tad more water-saving. But there were all those boiler explosions. Finally we had "hot air" heat. Do you see a good reason to go back to water? Just pondering.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Previous

Return to Physics