Physics or Philosophy?

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

Physics or Philosophy?

Postby vivian maxine on March 22nd, 2017, 8:29 am 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 122545.htm

"Physics is sometimes closer to philosophy when it comes to understanding the universe. Does the universe have a rest frame?"

Q. How does this make it philosophy? I have often wondered why so many science topics seem to become philosophy topics. My imagination? Or something I am missing?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Physics or Philosophy?

Postby Eclogite on March 22nd, 2017, 9:00 am 

Recall that all science is a branch of philosophy. When I studied at the University of Glasgow my physics classes were given in the Kelvin Building, named after Lord Kelvin. A large sign on the side of the building declared "Department of Natural Philosophy". I believe it now reads "Department of Physics and Astronomy".

That doesn't answer your question, but I'm in a reminiscing mood.

The answer may be that science does not directly try to answer Why questions. That is Philosophy's job. So once science has dealt reasonably well with What and How and Where and When, it is Natural to turn to Philosophy. (Did you see what I did there?)
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on March 22nd, 2017, 1:45 pm 

So, which is "Does the Universe have a rest frame?" a how, what, where or philosophical question? Or, maybe the question is what is a rest frame. One place in the article called it a "resting frame". My hope is that someone here will explain what a rest frame is and that sounds like a science question. I'm confused.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby mitchellmckain on March 23rd, 2017, 9:13 pm 

vivian maxine » March 22nd, 2017, 7:29 am wrote:Does the universe have a rest frame?"

One of the publication I have a name on (i.e. one of the projects I worked on in Graduate school) is based on the Mach principle and the hypothesis that linear and angular velocities of the universe are meaningless quantities because the universe as a whole defines these quantities in relation to itself.

... in other words... I guess you can say that physics doesn't really have a definitive answer to the question but has explored different answers to the question.
mitchellmckain

Postby socrat44 on August 11th, 2017, 9:04 pm 

vivian maxine » March 22nd, 2017, 1:45 pm wrote: "Does the Universe have a rest frame?''
Or, maybe the question is what is a rest frame.
One place in the article called it a "resting frame".
My hope is that someone here will explain what a rest frame is
and that sounds like a science question.
I'm confused.

Look at night sky.
In which  referent frame the mass of all galaxies located?
In which reference frame all dark mass and dark energy located?
================.
Is that sounds like a science questions ?
===============================.
socrat44
Forum Neophyte

Return to Physics