Experiments Supporting Relativity Theory

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

Re: Experiments Supporting Relativity Theory

Postby Inchworm on August 12th, 2017, 1:38 pm 

Of course I'd like to know why my sentences are incorrect. I posted my answer here in case you have time to tell me.
Inchworm

Postby hyksos on November 22nd, 2017, 8:04 am 

There is a hard claim being made in this thread. Lets address that hard claim head-on by first stating it.

{You know who} is claiming that all relativity problems in textbooks always make a reference to an absolute velocity relative to some implied stationary cosmic reference frame. {You know who} concludes from that "fact" that the theory of Special Relativity must therefore be extrapolated from the existence of a preferred (stationary/absolute) reference frame in space. Worse, {ykw} is claiming therefore, that SR predicts the existence of an absolute stationary reference frame.

I'm going to make a contrary claim. I am going to claim that not only do ``not all`` relativity problems make a reference to an absolute frame of space-- I will go further with my claim. I will say that none of them do.

At this point it should be very easy for a forum poster here to prove me wrong. All you need to do is produce a single example from a textbook on physics that uses an absolute stationary frame of reference. You only need one.

I wait with baited breath.
hyksos

dandelionBurtJordaan liked this post

Postby BurtJordaan on November 22nd, 2017, 12:02 pm 

Like Einstein responded to "Hundert Autoren gegen Einstein" (A Hundred Authors Against Einstein), 1931: "Why a hundred? One is enough!"
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (9)
dandelion liked this post

Previous

Return to Physics