RoS Relativity of Simultaneity

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

Re: RoS Relativity of Simultaneity

Postby ralfcis on October 23rd, 2017, 12:36 pm 

As I said I only took one course and almost the entire course was about this one example which I thought was the only example relativists understood. You kept saying I don't understand simultaneity and now your saying I understood it all along because I have been giving you that simpler version from day 1. Sounds like more obstruction and delay tactics to me and i don't know why.
ralfcis

Postby ralfcis on October 23rd, 2017, 12:38 pm 

So do I understand or not, that is the question. I need to move on to the important things.
ralfcis

Postby BurtJordaan on October 23rd, 2017, 12:54 pm 

ralfcis » 23 Oct 2017, 18:36 wrote:You kept saying I don't understand simultaneity and now your saying I understood it all along because I have been giving you that simpler version from day 1. Sounds like more obstruction and delay tactics to me and i don't know why.

This whole thread so far provides little evidence that you understood RoS "from day 1". Quite the contrary.

The last series of STD of the 'train and platform' were actually quite correct, although unnecessarily complex. So it seems like you have achieved some understanding, but still fails to recognize RoS as the 'heart and soul' of SR.

Do you want to continue discussing that, or else, what is the real purpose of this thread?
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby ralfcis on October 23rd, 2017, 2:55 pm 

Another general vague answer and more misdirection . I don't care if you agree I understood it from day 1. I didn't know how to read before I was 6 but I know how to read now. So again the question is do I understand it now. So you're answer is contingent on me selling my soul to relativity. Let's assume I said yes (which shows how irrelevant this contingency is), then your answer would be yes I understand it or still no. The real purpose of this thread is I wish to rob you of one of the many obstructionist tools you use. Namely, you couldn't go on with the discussions because you felt I didn't understand RoS at all. Now I've proven it so goodbye to that claim of yours. Too bad you didn't guess I didn't understand length contraction because that would have at least turned out to be true.
ralfcis

Postby BurtJordaan on October 23rd, 2017, 3:08 pm 

ralfcis » 23 Oct 2017, 20:55 wrote: The real purpose of this thread is I wish to rob you of one of the many obstructionist tools you use. Namely, you couldn't go on with the discussions because you felt I didn't understand RoS at all. Now I've proven it so goodbye to that claim of yours. Too bad you didn't guess I didn't understand length contraction because that would have at least turned out to be true.

If you really understood RoS, length contraction should never have been an issue at all. So what is the next relativity issue that you want to discuss? Maybe we should close this thread and you start a new one, more approximately titled?
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Postby ralfcis on October 23rd, 2017, 3:21 pm 

Really. I just proved not understanding length contraction had no effect on the outcome of the RoS example. Whether you use either perspective of length there is no difference because all that matters for RoS is time dilation. I even said I had a formula to convert time dilation directly into Ros. Throughout my initial OP I clearly said many times that I didn't use length contraction and was confused by it. That's one good thing about this thread is that confusion is gone.
ralfcis

Postby BurtJordaan on October 23rd, 2017, 3:59 pm 

ralfcis » 23 Oct 2017, 21:21 wrote:Really. I just proved not understanding length contraction had no effect on the outcome of the RoS example. Whether you use either perspective of length there is no difference because all that matters for RoS is time dilation.

Well Ralf, sadly it is another misconception. The constancy of the speed of light and RoS come first and then you can derive time dilation and length contraction.

So now you're going back to distracting from the main point and your usual abuse of power by resorting to threats. Go ahead, this thread is done, I've proved my point, I don't really care if you rob the readers of an opportunity to learn something for the sake of your pride. When is the forum administration going to take action on what is going on here.

You might be interested to learn that Forum Admin is not all that happy with your attitude. Since it is your desire to post in the Physics subforum, you have to play by the forum rules. When challenged by anyone that clearly knows more about relativity than you, your replies have to be clear, mainstream responses, based on published papers or textbooks. You cannot just 'steam on' with your own interpretations of relativity. That does not serve this community at all, especially if there are many misconceptions portrayed.

So, what is your real purpose of posting here? To learn about relativity? It sometimes looks like you feel yourself ready to lecture readers on it...
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Postby BurtJordaan on October 23rd, 2017, 4:02 pm 

Also sadly, you apparently edited your post after I have quoted what you wrote, so now it is there for all to read...
BurtJordaan
Forum Moderator

Postby ralfcis on October 23rd, 2017, 4:54 pm 

Sadly for whom. I thought I'd give you a break but if you wish to openly share that, I admire your transparency. I'm trying to learn relativity so I thoroughly know what I'm objecting to. I don't mind being wrong if it gets me an answer which it did this time. I post to think out loud. Luckily, Faradave answered my questions without any games. See how quickly I can change my opinion when I'm told something that makes sense? Why doesn't the Forum Admin come forward with his complaints. I have a good deal many of my own but as long as I'm allowed to continue writing, they're not really that important.
ralfcis

Previous

Return to Physics