General relativity is a gauge theory of local Poincaré trans

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

General relativity is a gauge theory of local Poincaré trans

Postby hyksos on December 29th, 2017, 3:27 pm 

(hoping Lincoln responds to this post. Pinging Lincoln.)

General relativity is a gauge theory of local Poincaré transformations.

I'm starting to hear this rumor swirling around various websites, forums, and powerpoint slides. I'm also hearing a rumor that very early forms of supersymmetry (1975-1980 range) automatically contain General Relativity. And they automatically contain it for the above reason.

If these rumors are true, then from my point of view, this is catastrophic.

I have a rather large book here written by Roger Penrose. I have been spending the afternoon scouring Penrose's book on this. He writes a lot about the Poincaré Group, and even more text is spent on the history of supersymmetry. But nowhere does Penrose ever fess up to the fact that General Relativity is a gauge theory. He like, never says this anywhere. And frankly, this makes it even more catastrophic.

In the physics community at large, there are a number of various reasons hoisted and bandied about that give reasons why a person should believe in sypersymmetry, or take it seriously as a physical theory. (I won't be repeating them here.) However, if the above rumors are true, then IMHO, this is the strongest most ironclad reason for considering supersymmetry to be valid. I mean, you basically have a situation where General Relativity falls out as a clean consequence of the approach. General Relativity is like a free perk included in your stay at the Hotel SuperSymmetry.

I mean like, this is huge. I don't know how else to say it.

Your thoughts?
hyksos

Re: Particle Ping Pong

Postby Faradave on December 29th, 2017, 8:53 pm 

The tag function (in Full Edit mode) is the mechanism SPCF provides for "pinging" someone. Consider it done, though Lincoln tends to be a busy guy.

I'm not a fan of supersymmetry for various reasons but I admit GR would be an attractive consequence. Not however, as attractive as an actual "sparticle".
Faradave

Re: General relativity is a gauge theory of local Poincaré t

Postby hyksos on December 30th, 2017, 8:31 pm 

So far, null results on sparticles in the lab.
hyksos

Return to Physics