What is Current (I) Measured Relative To

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

What is Current (I) Measured Relative To

Postby DJ_Juggernaut on July 1st, 2018, 11:33 pm 

This is addressed to the locals: What is current measured relative to?

Lincoln » July 1st, 2018, 12:57 pm wrote:Current is frame-specific.

If we are talking about a current carrying wire. The current is wire-specific. It flows relative to a wire. If the relative velocity between the wire and the charges is zero. Current is zero. Any ammeter readily shows that current is wire-specific.

Lincoln wrote:If I have an infinite chain of positive charges, with density 1 coulomb/meter and I have them passing me at a rate of 1 meter per second, that's 1 Amp of current.

If a charge or charges pass by you, that's not a current. That's just moving charge or charges. Biot Savart law does not apply to you or to the charges that pass by you, it applies to a wire; as was the context we were discussing it in.

Anyone disagree with my statements? If so, why?
DJ_Juggernaut

Re: Surface Tension

Postby Faradave on July 2nd, 2018, 1:15 pm 

DJ_Juggernaut wrote:What is current measured relative to?

It's charge passing through some cross-sectional area (surface). As per Ben Franklin, positive charge for positive current. I put the definition on your earlier thread.
Faradave

Surface or observer?

Postby DJ_Juggernaut on July 2nd, 2018, 1:50 pm 

Faradave wrote:
DJ_Juggernaut wrote:What is current measured relative to?

It's charge passing through some cross-sectional area (surface). As per Ben Franklin, positive charge for positive current. I put the definition on your earlier thread.

I take it that you disagree with Lincoln's take that current is measured relative to an observer.
DJ_Juggernaut

Re: Area of Concern

Postby Faradave on July 2nd, 2018, 3:00 pm 

Let the cross-sectional area be the observer (detector) from which we read a measured current. If it moves with the current, no charge will pass through it, thus no current measured in that frame.
Faradave

Re: Area of Concern

Postby DJ_Juggernaut on July 2nd, 2018, 3:55 pm 

Faradave » July 2nd, 2018, 3:00 pm wrote:Let the cross-sectional area be the observer (detector) from which we read a measured current. If it moves with the current, no charge will pass through it, thus no current measured in that frame.

Sounds good to me.
DJ_Juggernaut

Return to Physics