Leibniz's relational theory of time and relativity

Discussions on classical and modern physics, quantum mechanics, particle physics, thermodynamics, general and special relativity, etc.

Leibniz's relational theory of time and relativity

Postby MichaelGerardBurke on October 8th, 2018, 8:33 pm 

I don't know whether to post this here or in the philosophy forum, but I'd like to know if a relational theory of time (as held by Leibniz) is at all compatible with Einstein's theory of relativity? Or are they mutually exclusive?
MichaelGerardBurke
Forum Neophyte

Re: Leibniz's relational theory of time and relativity

Postby hyksos on October 8th, 2018, 10:58 pm 

Welcome to the sciencechatforum.

You will need to get a copy of this article written by Einstein in 1950, as he mentioned Leibniz several times in it.

http://www.relativitybook.com/wiki/On_the_Generalized_Theory_of_Gravitation_(1950)

Unfortunately, this above link does not go directly to the paper. It is very difficult to find a copy of it online nowadays. The website does include a citation that would allow you to get a copy from a library.

scribd has a copy online, but it is behind a soft paywall.
hyksos

Postby MichaelGerardBurke on October 8th, 2018, 11:55 pm 

Thank you.

Can you give me some idea of what Einstein said about Leibniz?
MichaelGerardBurke
Forum Neophyte

Postby hyksos on October 9th, 2018, 12:08 am 

He wrote something (I am paraphrasing) -- According to the principle of relativity, space divorced from any content has no physical meaning. Then he said something else about the modern mathematical tools did not exist in the 17th century to have 'born out' Leibniz.

I strongly suggest consulting the article itself, as context and subtlety play huge roles in this topic.
hyksos

TheVat liked this post

Return to Physics