harmful effects of brainwave entrainment?

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

harmful effects of brainwave entrainment?

Postby arun on December 16th, 2007, 12:02 pm 

i just found out about this phenomenon and centerpointe research institutes work on the subject. (holosync)
i wanted to know if there is any proven negative effects of the same on the human brain ?
and is their product/ many others like theirs safe ??
i have a very limited understanding of this subject and i dont even know if all of this actually works or is completely fake
arun
Forum Neophyte

Postby Removed user on December 16th, 2007, 1:12 pm 

This is both a biological and psychological issue. We do have a psychology forum in Philosophy but I get a sense that you want to discuss the issue more scientifically. Since legitimate researchers are looking into this as a means of assisting in the treatment of such things as depression and chronic pain then I think that it could be reasonably discussed in Medicine.
Removed user

Postby tess on December 16th, 2007, 4:08 pm 

People have been using them for ages: drum circles, chanting, looking at a fire, certain meditation techniques/mantras/, tibetan signing bowls, etc.

To put it simply: those techniques change electrochemical environment of our brain.
For example, by resetting sodium & potassium ratios in our brain cells - we might enter a state of relaxation.

I am not aware of negative side effects. However , I would not recommend them to people with a history of epilepsy.
tess

Postby arun on December 19th, 2007, 9:07 am 

i've been trying out a free trial of the holosync program for the last coupla days...
nothing great or dramatic has happened yet .. though i am a wee bit more relaxed.
no side effects yet. yay!
arun
Forum Neophyte

Re: harmful effects of brainwave entrainment?

Postby wolfeman77346 on December 10th, 2016, 5:51 pm 

I have been experimenting with Isochronic tones for Brainwave Entrainment for almost 3 weeks.

The very first one I listened to had an effect on me within the first minute. I became slightly disoriented and floaty. It surprised me and I stopped it, and within 10 minutes the feeling had totally cleared.

This made me extremely curious, so I began researching much more about what it is and what it can be used for.

I tried it again, and had similar effects. I was trying a variety of differing types, but mostly for anxiety, emotional health, depression, etc.

After a week of experimenting, and at the end of a long day of online training, my brain began auto-entraining on its own. It was a VERY euphoric, floaty feeling, with extreme bliss and relaxation. I actually considered I may be experiencing a stroke, as I have heard of them described that way before, but I was feeling so good I really didnt care. The experience lasted for 5 hours gradually recovering in waves, and I went to sleep with it, woke in the morning with it, but much less powerful. By mid morning I had almost fully recovered from the great feelings.

I took a break from BWE.

Since that time my mind has auto-entrained 2 additional times, but not as strongly as the first one. I can feel it wanting to entrain frequently, playing at the edges of my brain.

I did basic motor function tests during the times I have entrained and there was no apparent loss of any functions or balance, however its so distracting I would not recommend driving under this influence.

I described how I felt to a friend of mine and he said thats how he felt when he discovered "inner peace" through meditation activities.

I'm not sure I understand whats happening to me, but I'm not sure I'm bothered by it. My brain halves seem to be waking up and talking to each other more and it feels good.

I do believe I haven't been more relaxed and happier than I have been in quite some time.
In the time it took me to write this note, i'm kinda feeling floaty and relaxed from the concentration on it.

In a way it feels like being on codeine, but without the balance issues.
wolfeman77346
Forum Neophyte

Return to Health and Nutrition