WOW!!! Sugar, Fat, Heart Disease and the big payout!

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

WOW!!! Sugar, Fat, Heart Disease and the big payout!

Postby SciameriKen on September 13th, 2016, 3:01 pm 

Epic impacts:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27617709

Apparently, the sugar industry paid off Harvard researchers to downplay the risk of sugar in heart disease, and focus on fats as the cause back in the 1960's.

We are just now emerging from this line of thinking into realizing fats are not so bad - quite insane.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Re: Take a deep breath...

Postby Faradave on September 13th, 2016, 3:44 pm 

What you exhale won't kill you.

This rule of thumb (referencing metabolic CO2) is a reminder to balance calories in with calories out. There's quite a bit of leeway within that "diet".
Faradave

Re: Take a deep breath...

Postby SciameriKen on September 13th, 2016, 3:49 pm 

Faradave » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:44 pm wrote:What you exhale won't kill you.

This rule of thumb (referencing metabolic CO2) is a reminder to balance calories in with calories out. There's quite a bit of leeway within that "diet".

Certainly if you are in an airtight room - what you exhale could kill you! I believe Calories in/Calories out is also a slogan created by the sugar industry :D
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Re: WOW!!! Sugar, Fat, Heart Disease and the big payout!

Postby BioWizard on September 13th, 2016, 4:18 pm 

Ken,

Watch that documentary on Netflix, "Sugar Coated".
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)
SciameriKen liked this post

Re: WOW!!! Sugar, Fat, Heart Disease and the big payout!

Postby Braininvat on October 14th, 2017, 6:46 pm 

The untimely death of Tom Petty, last Oct. 2, had me reflecting on heart health and how a serious condition can sneak up on a person. This article clarifies the difference between cardiac arrest (what killed Petty) and a heart attack. The first is primarily electrical, the second is plumbing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-pettys-death-what-is-cardiac-arrest/

Seeing segments of Petty's last concert at the Hollywood Bowl, just a week before he died, it struck me how "okay" he looked then. He looked reasonably fit for a 66 year old man, and projected his usual vitality and ease as a performer. Like me and a lot of other guys, he probably wasn't the type to go to a doctor unless he really felt like s--t. Makes you think.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Return to Health and Nutrition