glyphosate: A serious chronic pollutant or starvation cure

Discussions related to nutrition or medical research. Please remember that this is a discussion forum, not a medical advice dispensing forum.

glyphosate: A serious chronic pollutant or starvation cure

Postby zetreque on March 10th, 2018, 3:25 pm 

Glyphosate: The active ingredient in pesticides and reason why Monsanto is making billions of dollars has a lot of controversy behind it.

There are corporate and society ethical reasons behind it's use such as monopolies, patents, and starvation or population growth.

There are many studies that claim it is safe but there are other studies popping up leading some to believe it to be one of the worst chronic persistent organic pollutants the planet has faced.

Rather than point out the studies in support of it not being damaging in certain aspects or pathways, I think we should investigate the studies showing it to be toxic or damaging in certain aspects or pathways because even if there is one serious cause for concern to our health, that should negate the other pathways in which it was found safe (not to mention another major problem being that studies don't take into account chronic exposure, large enough sample sizes, or replication).

Yesterday I was listening to a supposed expert on testosterone. He claimed that glyphosate is one of the environmental toxins behind the 1% decline in testosterone levels per year. He said that the studies are showing that normal testosterone levels 100 years ago may have been as high as 2000 but today average is considered to be 750. He bases this off of research showing a 1% decline over the past 50 or so years and said that we will never know because we don't have data going back long-term enough.

He indicated that it is happening generational per year and that once you are born with the lower testosterone levels in place, it doesn't matter how healthy or perfect you live your life, there is no going back up to higher levels that previous generations experienced. In other words, it's a chronic toxin.
Prepubertal exposure to commercial formulation of the herbicide glyphosate alters testosterone levels and testicular morphology
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 009-0494-z

A glyphosate-based herbicide induces necrosis and apoptosis in mature rat testicular cells in vitro, and testosterone decrease at lower levels
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3311003341

Another thing that keeps popping up is how glyphosate interupts the shikimate pathway. The shikimate pathway is used by our gut bacteria to break down foods for our nutritional needs making molecules such as tryptophan, tyrosine, and phenylalanine. Not being able to break down compounds in foods also is one of the rising concepts to explain the increase in autoimmune diseases currently. Then there is pretty solid evidence to show that other chronic diseases that are rapidly rising in our society are related to autoimmune diseases since the mechanism behind the body's immune system attacking its own organ cells is because they look similar to undigested food particles.

I am also on the lookout to find just how resistant to degradation and persistent glyphosate is in the environment. I keep hearing about it now being found everywhere and in everything. Even USDA certified organic crops are being contaminated by it being blown by wind, flowing by ground water, or what some are insinuating it to be evaporated and transported via the atmospheric water cycle.
fate of glyphosate in an Oregon forest ecosystem.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jf00125a054

If these chronic problems do in fact exist, it is concerning to note that farmers are now practicing using roundup out of pure laziness to harvest crops easier. I may have misunderstood what is going on but it sounds like it's now being used simply to kill the crops so that they can be harvested and processed easier.

I guess the point to me posting this thread is because I find it very concerning and hope that we can take a closer look at the studies that are warning of this globally used chemical.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: glyphosate: A serious chronic pollutant or starvation cu

Postby Event Horizon on March 10th, 2018, 4:34 pm 

Glyphosate is actually a weedkiller commonly sold under the name ROUNDUP. It works very well in practise. Unfortunately both Monsanto and the government both vigorously denied there were any problems for years. We now know that these problems such as decreases in Testosterone, bowel problems and claims of being a carcinogen have strengthened considerably. In some countries it is now banned I believe.

Roundup ready crops were developed by genetic modification to tolerate glyphosate in farming and was also very controversial and a whole other problem.
Event Horizon

Postby zetreque on March 11th, 2018, 2:58 am 

Is it time to reassess current safety standards for glyphosate-based herbicides?
http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2017/ ... 016-208463

Use of glyphosate-based herbicides (GBHs) increased ∼100-fold from 1974 to 2014.

GBHs are also recognized to cause serious eye damage based on evaluation of six separate studies.26

I've often wondered about the rise in reduced eyesight over recent years. 100 plus years ago, if you couldn't see well then you would have had a very hard time surviving. Of course I assume most of those studies were probably having it added directly to the eye and not long term exposure through dietary intake.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on March 20th, 2018, 3:57 pm 

Monsanto Weed Killer Roundup Faces New Doubts on Safety in Unsealed Documents
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/business/monsanto-roundup-safety-lawsuit.html

In one email unsealed Tuesday, William F. Heydens, a Monsanto executive, told other company officials that they could ghostwrite research on glyphosate by hiring academics to put their names on papers that were actually written by Monsanto. “We would be keeping the cost down by us doing the writing and they would just edit & sign their names so to speak,” Mr. Heydens wrote, citing a previous instance in which he said the company had done this.

The disclosures are the latest to raise concerns about the integrity of academic research financed by agrochemical companies. Last year, a review by The New York Times showed how the industry can manipulate academic research or misstate findings. Declarations of interest included in a Monsanto-financed paper on glyphosate that appeared in the journal Critical Reviews in Toxicology said panel members were recruited by a consulting firm. Email traffic made public shows that Monsanto officials discussed and debated scientists who should be considered, and shaped the project.

and for a little bit more extreme version of the story.
https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-03-19-lawsuits-against-monsanto-moving-forward.html

The first trial in the Roundup litigation is set for June 18, 2018, in the Superior Court for the County of San Francisco.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Event Horizon on April 22nd, 2018, 4:54 am 

I was in farming for some time Z, and we used Roundup regularly. I discovered that it was very persistent, reducing the spraying intervals. As no herbicides are safe for long exposure, I was suited up anyway. I'm not sure which is worse. The chemical, or the GM crops designed to tolerate it. We ended up re-naming them Monsatan!

I think they should be fined the entire sum of their glyphosate profits which should go into a safe farming foundation of some kind. I do not think they should be donating to politicians for support either, that needs to stop immediately.
Event Horizon

Postby Braininvat on April 22nd, 2018, 11:12 am 

In our family, we call most of the dairy products at the nearby supermarket "Monsanto butter, " "Monsanto milk, " and so on. We buy organic grass-fed at a coop. But we never can know if endocrine disruptors like glyphosate have blown onto those pastures. And this part of the USA is quite windy.

Happy Earth Day.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Event Horizon on April 22nd, 2018, 3:36 pm 

I shouldn't worry too much Brainy, the aerosol doesn't travel far and the wind that picks it up dilutes it massively. It makes sense, farmers don't want weedkiller getting on any non_glyphosate engineered crops he's growing. In the UK, there is a maximum legal spray-drift limit still if I recall.
It's wasteful and costly for the farmer to wantonly overspray anyway. I's mostly computerized now, and it helps save spray.

People are trying to do stuff right but Monsatan have been very deceitful.
Event Horizon

Postby zetreque on April 22nd, 2018, 3:46 pm 

Are there any non-monsanto funded studies showing what the half-life is for glyphosate and all it's other byproducts as it breaks apart? Like the half-life might be 200 days, but what about the other products it breaks down into?

It's hard to believe the half-life is that short if they are finding it in everything.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Event Horizon on April 22nd, 2018, 4:34 pm 

Here's a fair bit of information that kinda looks right to me from the little i know..

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/glyphotech.html

I don't know about the chemicals of decay, but it's possible some are toxic. I don't know how it breaks down.
Event Horizon

Return to Health and Nutrition